Cleaning The Inside of Shirt Collars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning The Inside of Shirt Collars?

I don't know about you, but the inside of my shirt collars get extremely dirty. Any advice/tips on the best way to clean them?

I've tried taking them to the cleaners to get laundered, washed at home and used stain stick/shout, etc. and they never come out looking clean. There's always a few streaks left over.

Thanks!

Spray Shout Advanced on the collar (I use 10 sprays per shirt), use a stiff brush (I use a suede shoe brush) and brush vigorously, let it sit for 15-30 minutes, then wash in warm water cycle. Hang dry.

Comment

Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo.

Comment

i've heard good things about this, though I don't have it myself

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...8112/28112.jsp

Comment

I've tried this and always works. Put a a 3 scoops oxy clean in a bucket and mix it with water enough so that it looks murky. Soak the shirt it for an hour or more depending on the stain. Get rid of the oxy clean solution and launder usually or mix with water and detergent and voila it should be gone.
          Best,
          Paul

Comment

How long are you going between washes?

Comment

Originally posted by JGL View Post
              How long are you going between washes?
              Usually after I've worn the shirt twice. Max 3 times.

Comment

Try the oxi-clean method mentioned above. It's worked for me too. Switch to washing after one wear before washes and see if still get the stains you can't get out.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Stic.../dp/B002IGHKXE

Comment

Thanks! I'll definitely try the Oxi-Clean method. Let's hope this works!

Comment

I've used Oxi-clean in that way to actually get rid of yellow pit stains on shirts (that had been laundered many times over with said stains setting in). It's pretty fantastic and should be able to get the collar stains out easily I'd imagine.

Comment

kind of related, but scrub/soap your neck more often... preventive measures

Comment

Originally posted by fey View Post
                          kind of related, but scrub/soap your neck more often... preventive measures
                          I read this somewhere else as well and it has helped me on my white shirts as it is more noticeable. Take the time to wash your neck enough and give it a scrub, not just a once over. I have found bar soap has helped more than the body wash I use elsewhere.

Comment

Yeah, exfoliate your dang neck. Use a wash cloth or a loofa or whatever, actually scrub your body. Makes your feet/shoes stink way less, keeps your collars crisp.

Comment

I will chime in with my endorsement of Oxiclean. That stuff is amazing...even after giving up anti-perspirants 2 years ago (switched to Tom's deodorant) I still developed really bad yellow pit stains due simply to sweating (and I also eventually get the collar stains here or there), so I did the drill of making a paste of the Oxiclean with a little water and rubbing it on the stain, then soaking the shirts in a bucket with Oxiclean dissolved in water for a couple hours. Following that, I tossed it in the washing machine with my other clothes, a scoop of Oxiclean and regular detergent and even my skeptical mind was blown away with how non-existent the stains were when I pulled the shirts out!

Comment

Working...
                              X