Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last few days to Return Thompson Suit...Help me decide if it is too snug!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last few days to Return Thompson Suit...Help me decide if it is too snug!

Thanks again to everyone who contributed last time, I took everyone's suggestions on the suit's overall good fit from the thread http://threads.dappered.com/topic/bu...imes-the-charm and decided I will get the sleeves lengthened. However, even tho I have good range of motion, Is it normal to have the fabric look like this when I'm moving my arms forward or hugging my back? I get a snug feeling, that I wouldn't classify as tight.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2hyjhg6.png

<*img src="IMAGE.JPG">

So from the other thread it seems like everyone liked the fit except the sleeves needed to be lengthened...Is it normal to have that sort of tension on a good fitting suit as displayed from the above pictures?

Hey man. I have no experience with J. Crew suits, but I looked at the last thread you posted and those pictures, along with the ones above, looks like that suit fits you rather good. I don't see any tailoring needed, other than the sleeves. It's very rare, at least for me, that I pick up a jacket or suit off the rack and it fits perfectly. But this one, with the rather small exception of the sleeves, looks as good as an off the rack suit is gonna look. The arm holes are pretty high letting you raise your arms without bringing the whole jacket along with it. And yes, your suit should tighten up and feel snug when you do that, because if it didn't, there would be too much fabric on the back and when you're standing straight with your shoulders back(assuming you have pretty good posture) and it would create a very loose back with possibly a marginal collar gap(its the gap between your neck and the collar on the first photo)and trust me, that's not a good look. Those lines between your shoulder blades on the 3rd photo are supposed to form when you do that. And disappear when in your normal stance. If you get it bigger, they will drape similar to this guy's: http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z424/student8/Indochinosuitback.jpg

My feeling is that this might be your first suit and you're having a hard time getting comfortable with the fit. I felt the same way when I started wearing well-fitting suits myself. I'm not a tailor but I can assure you from those photos that it looks fine. Allow yourself to get comfortable with it, eventually that feeling of uneasiness will go away.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Damen. Yes, I don't normally wear suits so I am still very unsure. Additionally, I've also been use to wearing 40R in other brands for blazers and sport coats which is making me feel unsure of getting a 38R in Jcrew...but I posted pics of me in the 40R of this jcrew thompson in which I got a mixed reviews of it being potentially a tad bit large in the shoulders.

Your feedback has helped me become 60/40 over keeping it instead of returning it!

Comment

I'm with @damenefreghista about getting comfortable with the fit of a suit. When you finally settle into a purchase, wear it. You don't really need a reason. Or if you really feel like you need a reason, go to church. :-) Do that until it feels normal.

Chances are that you'll be wearing a suit for special occasions (interviews, weddings, etc) long before you're wearing a suit for work. You'll want to be comfortable and confident in what you're wearing, and that comes with familiarity.

By the way, does it feel tight in the shoulders when your arms are at rest? Because of the way suits are cut, they'll NEVER feel "right" when you're lifting your arms. You just have to make sure you can do it. But if the shoulders (on top and in front) feel at all tight, it's a sign.

And for what it's worth... the 40R refers to the chest size rather than the shoulders. So the shoulders on two suits of the same size can be totally different. Thus a 38R may still be the right choice depending on how it's cut.

Comment

IMO, your shoulders are too wide for this suit. In the last picture, the midsection is showing groves which indicates to me that the material is stretching.

Comment

@mystic: He'ss also hugging himself from the front, stretching the suit to its limits from the back. I hate trying to size up suits from pics. Arms and legs are easy, but chest and shoulders can be tricky when you start to get close.

Comment

I think the chest and shoulders are okay, but the wrinkling up by the collar says that the back is too long. It's not a cheap fix, but a tailor can shorten that by taking off the collar.

Comment

Acoustic, I honestly think you look pretty good in the suit. The only exception is the sleeves. They look about an inch too short. The rest is good enough that there's no tailoring required.

Looking sharp!

Comment

@JC I don't necessarily think he wants to mess with the collar. Adjusting the collar will not guarantee that the wrinkling in the back will go away. It will just make the collar gap minimal. Its pricey and not any tailor can do it. And either way, those lines look natural. And since he's pulling his shoulders blades forward, stretching the back will only emphasize those lines. With natural movement I don't think they would look off. But that's all you can really get from the photos.

Comment

You could also buy some dumbbells and start doing shoulder shrugs to build those traps. I bet that helps. :-)

Comment

Lol thanks for the feedback guys....I just had a silly idea...I could probably just ask...the tailor for his opinion huh?

Comment

Acoustic, just remember to have your pants tailored, not just hemmed. From the little we could see of them, they looked very baggy.

Comment

Great, so I went to my tailor who remarked that the thompson suit was PERFECTLY CUT for me in the shoulders and waist lol. I got excited and asked him to extend the sleeves...

However, he told me extending the sleeves was not possible because of the way JCREW had sewn the sleeves...$&%^! Guess it's back to the drawing board for me :-(

Comment

Do they offer the suit in a long?

Comment

They do...but the tailor told me a L would be too long for me :-( I wonder why Jcrew decided to make their sleeves un alterable like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X