• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loafer28
    replied
    Originally posted by dagreen88 View Post

Thanks!

If anyone is wondering, after a few more half hour rotations of wearing the shoe I finally caved and called the AE store to see what they recommended. They said that a shoe should feel a bit uncomfortable when it is new but if it is crushing your pinky toe that is a sign that you have the wrong size. They recommended exchanging the shoes. I appreciate everyone's help on this!
    After you mentioned that your pinky fell asleep, that’s what I would have recommended. I was able to stretch out a light pinky pinch that wouldn’t go away after a long break-in period. I don’t think you could stretch shoes to solve a major fit issue.

Leave a comment:

• dagreen88
    replied
    Originally posted by bassoonguy View Post

If they are that tight, I would suggest that the shoe is not the right fit and return them. I've tried having a cobbler stretch a pair of AE's before and I don't think they would stretch enough that you are going to feel comfortable in them. With a boat shoe or camp moc you might be able to get away with it as the leather/construction is more forgiving. For the St. john's I think you would be better off with a different size. Perhaps as dagreen88 suggested, a 7E?
    Thanks!

If anyone is wondering, after a few more half hour rotations of wearing the shoe I finally caved and called the AE store to see what they recommended. They said that a shoe should feel a bit uncomfortable when it is new but if it is crushing your pinky toe that is a sign that you have the wrong size. They recommended exchanging the shoes. I appreciate everyone's help on this!

Leave a comment:

• bassoonguy
    replied

They are very tight on on the pinky toe. To the point that it is falling asleep after about half an hour.
    If they are that tight, I would suggest that the shoe is not the right fit and return them. I've tried having a cobbler stretch a pair of AE's before and I don't think they would stretch enough that you are going to feel comfortable in them. With a boat shoe or camp moc you might be able to get away with it as the leather/construction is more forgiving. For the St. john's I think you would be better off with a different size. Perhaps as dagreen88 suggested, a 7E?

Leave a comment:

• dagreen88
    replied
    Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post

No, a regular spring loaded shoe tree will not stretch a shoe (at least not the ones I've used). There are, however, screw-type shoe stretchers for that exact purpose. I've never used one, though.

I don't have the shoe models you're talking about. I guess if I were you, I'd look up the lasts on AE's website and compare. Okay, I did that because I'm a nerd that way. The Strands is on the 65 last, while the Liverpool is on the 943B. The 65 looks like the narrower last, which would be consistent with your experience of the 7.5E Strand fitting perfect, but the Liverpool being too big. The St. John is on the 1943, which especially the same as the 943B, but with a lower cone for shoes (the 943B has a higher cone for boots). The Cavanaugh is on the 114, which also appears to be on the wider side (loafers being more casual shoes and all). So that would seem to me that you were correct to go down half a size with the St. John. What about 7.5D instead of 7E?

If you do decide to keep the St. John's, here's a break in trick that worked for me. I have a pair of AE camp mocs that I deliberately got a little narrow to wear barefoot. Well, they turned out to be way too tight and gave me the most terrible blisters on my heels. I decided to break them in like a pair of boots and wore them around all day with wet wool boot socks. That worked a treat. The wet socks stretched them out just enough to conform to my feet perfectly. The mocs are still snug, but in a good way now, like gloves for my feet. And no more blisters.
    Thanks for the info! I'll stay the course and keep trying to get these broken in.

Leave a comment:

• tankerjohn
    replied
    I need some advice on AE St John's shoes. The Strands and Park Ave I own and wear are 7.5E and they fit great, I have two pairs of loafers (Acheson, and Cavanaugh) and a pair of chelsea boots (Liverpool) and all are 7.5E. All three of the slip on shoes are just a little too big after breaking in. I decided to size down to 7E for these St John's since they are technically a loafer, but gosh damn they are tight.

I brought them into the office so I can wear them around on the carpet and still return if necessary. I was able to tolerate wearing them for about half an hour this morning. How long should I give these? Does anyone else have experience with sizing Strands vs St John's? Did you wear the same size in each? Will spring loaded shoe trees help stretch or they just help keep the shape?
    No, a regular spring loaded shoe tree will not stretch a shoe (at least not the ones I've used). There are, however, screw-type shoe stretchers for that exact purpose. I've never used one, though.

I don't have the shoe models you're talking about. I guess if I were you, I'd look up the lasts on AE's website and compare. Okay, I did that because I'm a nerd that way. The Strands is on the 65 last, while the Liverpool is on the 943B. The 65 looks like the narrower last, which would be consistent with your experience of the 7.5E Strand fitting perfect, but the Liverpool being too big. The St. John is on the 1943, which especially the same as the 943B, but with a lower cone for shoes (the 943B has a higher cone for boots). The Cavanaugh is on the 114, which also appears to be on the wider side (loafers being more casual shoes and all). So that would seem to me that you were correct to go down half a size with the St. John. What about 7.5D instead of 7E?

If you do decide to keep the St. John's, here's a break in trick that worked for me. I have a pair of AE camp mocs that I deliberately got a little narrow to wear barefoot. Well, they turned out to be way too tight and gave me the most terrible blisters on my heels. I decided to break them in like a pair of boots and wore them around all day with wet wool boot socks. That worked a treat. The wet socks stretched them out just enough to conform to my feet perfectly. The mocs are still snug, but in a good way now, like gloves for my feet. And no more blisters.

Leave a comment:

• dagreen88
    replied
    Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post

where are they tight? I have successfully stretched a few pair of AE’s that were tight on the pinky toe. Regular shoe trees won’t cut it, you would have to buy shoe stretchers.
    I think I found them for around $18 on Amazon.
    They are very tight on on the pinky toe. To the point that it is falling asleep after about half an hour.

Leave a comment:

• Loafer28
    replied
    I need some advice on AE St John's shoes. The Strands and Park Ave I own and wear are 7.5E and they fit great, I have two pairs of loafers (Acheson, and Cavanaugh) and a pair of chelsea boots (Liverpool) and all are 7.5E. All three of the slip on shoes are just a little too big after breaking in. I decided to size down to 7E for these St John's since they are technically a loafer, but gosh damn they are tight.

I brought them into the office so I can wear them around on the carpet and still return if necessary. I was able to tolerate wearing them for about half an hour this morning. How long should I give these? Does anyone else have experience with sizing Strands vs St John's? Did you wear the same size in each? Will spring loaded shoe trees help stretch or they just help keep the shape?
    where are they tight? I have successfully stretched a few pair of AE’s that were tight on the pinky toe. Regular shoe trees won’t cut it, you would have to buy shoe stretchers.
    I think I found them for around $18 on Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• dagreen88
    replied

Leave a comment:

• andrewrg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mitrani View Post
    Most suitable shoe to wear with dark jeans and polo/button down in a casual work environment?
    Can't go wrong with Chelsea boots, sleek and black. Medium brown suede chukka boots like Clarks original for a polo shirt would be nice.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    Originally posted by Mitrani View Post
    Most suitable shoe to wear with dark jeans and polo/button down in a casual work environment?
    Suitable will really depend on the direction you want to take the look
    • Greats Royale for more casual
    • AE Leeds, Tate, or Suede Strandmock for slightly dressed up
    • Thursday Boots Statesman is great with plaid
    Many options to choose from all with a different feel

Leave a comment:

• Mitrani
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gaztrofer
    replied
    Hi guys,

I have stumbled upon a really nice pair of NB's. It's an old release, so I am not willing to find the exact model, but maybe you have any ideas on similar style sneakers? I looked for NB 574 on amazon, but there were no models in green color. Or maybe I'm just too obsessed with green? Anyways, thanks for your help.

Leave a comment:

• abh159
    replied
    Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
    Decided to take advantage of the BR sale and snagged loafers in two different colors for ~$60 each. I know BR shoe quality isn't amazing, but I've never actually suede loafers before, so thought it made sense to buy a cheaper pair and see if I actually wear them before going in on a more expensive brand. Just wondering how folks think they look (my slightly ratty jeans and socks notwithstanding):

Maybe it's just the angle of the photo or the way the sock/jeans combo almost looks like sweatpants, but to me the stitching right down the center of the toe makes them look more like slippers than loafers. I don't remember ever seeing loafers that had the seam like that. I would probably end up returning them for that reason, but that's just my opinion and personal taste.

Leave a comment:

• nandrew123
    replied
    Hi All! I saw a new logo today and hoping you can help me identify it. I didn’t take a photo, and kicking myself for not being that creepy guy. Logo was a stitched outline of a tractor above the back right pocket on some nice wool dress trousers. Anyone know what brand/designer this is??

thanks! stay safe & be well.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Looks like a pretty good purchase. And i like the idea of buying a cheaper pair of shoes to see if you like the style or not. I have been kicking around the idea of wearing loafers for a while now. The idea to use/start with an affordable pair is a good one. Maybe with Black Friday sales around the corner I'll see what I can find, sales wise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X