• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    andrewrg
    Varsity Member

• andrewrg
    replied
    Originally posted by indianamatt View Post
    Recommendation for white/offwhite shoes that hold up and/or are washable?
    My wife bought a pair of Rothy's, and we washed them in the machine and they came out great! Just as advertised. We did that with her pair of Allbirds, too, and they came out OK. It was a grey pair, so it cleaned the wool upper, but you still need something to clean up the foam sole.

I have a pair of Nike Air Force 1's that I wear at work sometimes (school teacher) and the secret I've discovered with white leather sneakers that works well is a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or other brand). It's incredibly quick and makes a ton of difference.

I use this on the foam sole (the part you can see, not under the shoe). In marching band in high school, we wore white shoes, and we had bags of this stuff to keep the shoes clean. It really works.

Other trick people do that I've noticed makes a big difference is clean the laces. Looks ratty to have the gray dirty laces on top of the nice white shoes. Toss them in the wash (I've heard people say they bleach them, but the washing machine gets them plenty clean for me).

Leave a comment:

• indianamatt

• indianamatt
    replied
    Recommendation for white/offwhite shoes that hold up and/or are washable?

I am looking for versatile white (or offwhite) mens sneakers I can wear at work (finance job that went casual, so the uniform is mostly nice jeans/Patagonia, but some people wear slacks or a sportcoat here and there) or around town. My Stan Smiths were great but got beat up fast and my Reebok Continentals are starting to show their wear as well. I was exploring the concept of washable shoes and spending a bit more money on something like Allbirds or Rothy's. Rothy's men's shoes look interesting since I could wash them and hopefully keep them looking clean, but I'm reluctant to spend $175 when I'm accustomed to spending $50. Any thoughts on Rothy's or a recommendation on something else? Or maybe I just settle for buying a new pair of Stan Smiths every year? thanks

Leave a comment:

• phsiao08
    Varsity Member

• phsiao08
    replied
    Originally posted by zelozelatus View Post
    What store should be my go-to for affordable (sub ~$250) sport coats now that Brooks Brothers and Jos A Bank are basically dead? I like doing major clothing purchases in person so reluctant to use an online-only retailer for this.
    If you like suitsupply, i would suggest suitreview.com.

Leave a comment:

• bassoonguy
    Varsity Member

• bassoonguy
    replied
    Originally posted by zelozelatus View Post
    What store should be my go-to for affordable (sub ~$250) sport coats now that Brooks Brothers and Jos A Bank are basically dead? I like doing major clothing purchases in person so reluctant to use an online-only retailer for this.
    My go-to is J.crew on sale. Banana republic would be another good hunting ground.

Leave a comment:

• zelozelatus

• zelozelatus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bassoonguy
    Varsity Member

• bassoonguy
    replied
    Originally posted by phsiao08 View Post
    What's a good waxed jacket folks would recommend?

Something like this?
    https://k4m06zl1.tinifycdn.com/files...avy_fw21_1.jpg
    That one right there is a pretty good one, I would think . Barbour and Belstaff are the others that come to mind. Flint and Tinder over at Huckberry also has some in a trucker style and I would bet Filson as one in the same style. They are all going to cost a bit of scratch and spier's is priced competitively. I have a barbour I found on ebay and saved a lot that way. It is by far my favorite coat and I would pay full price if I had to.

Leave a comment:

• phsiao08
    Varsity Member

• phsiao08
    replied
    What's a good waxed jacket folks would recommend?

Something like this?
    https://k4m06zl1.tinifycdn.com/files...avy_fw21_1.jpg

Leave a comment:

• otoba
    replied
    Recent review of 4 brands ..

https://www.menswearmusings.com/the-...kers-compared/

Leave a comment:

• andrewrg
    Varsity Member

• andrewrg
    replied
    https://www.landsend.com/products/me...es=11657,44967
    Land's End has a good one. My wife got the womens' one, it's nice.

Uniqlo has one
    https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-cas...er-438791.html
    Based on my experience with their other wool sweaters, I'd be willing to bet this is worth it.

Leave a comment:

• phsiao08
    Varsity Member

• phsiao08
    replied
    Hey folks -

Looking for advice on good cashmere sweaters under $150. I've seen Suitsupply, Everlane but wondered if there is a brand others swear by more specifically navy crewneck)

Leave a comment:

• zorro
    replied
    I tried this on Reddit earlier and got nowhere.... So, does a dent in a thermoplastic toecap matter, or is it just cosmetic? I got a pair of AE seconds today and I’m used to a messed up stitch job or a fat roll or loose grain, but I’ve not had a dent in the toecap before. You can feel it from inside the shoe too. If it’s just an eyesore I think I’ll deal, but if it’s a structural issue, I’ll send it back. I can’t really tell if the thermoplastic actually cracked

Leave a comment:

• Loafer28
    Varsity Member

• Loafer28
    replied
    Originally posted by blan2819 View Post
    Any tricks to remove dried gum from the bottom heel of dress shoe?
    try Goo be Gone

Leave a comment:

• blan2819
    Varsity Member

• blan2819
    replied
    Any tricks to remove dried gum from the bottom heel of dress shoe?

Leave a comment:

• jvargas
    replied
    Do the Adidas Stan Smith’s have a removable insert in them? I don’t have any experience with them but I have to have different inserts because of a high arch. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Loafer28
    Varsity Member

• Loafer28
    replied
    Originally posted by clockworksynergyrose
    Can you please tell me where I can find a Good quality watch bands that will fit me?
    You wouldn’t happen to work for Clockworksynergy, would you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X