X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jvargas
    replied
    Might feel to simple but the Oriental Knot works well. Probably not going to work with a spread collar. Real Men Real Style did a good job making a series about tie knots.

https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/ori...-necktie-knot/

Leave a comment:

• andrewrg
    replied
    Probably a four in hand (which I misheard as "foreign hand" when I was a kid, sounded cool). That's the smallest knot I can think of.

I misunderstood from the diagram of the Pratt knot, it looks a lot like a half-windsor to me, but reading the description made sense.

Leave a comment:

• blan2819
    replied
    Is there a better knot for a tie more narrow thru the body? I have a tie traditional 3.5in width at the widest point, but thru the body it's narrower than usual. I currently tie a pratt knot (https://www.101knots.com/pratt-shelby-knot.html), but for a tie like this that knot doesn't dimple very well due to lack of fabric - suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• blan2819
    replied
    Yeah. There's just something about wearing a tie to complete the look and rise to the occasion, so to speak. I do really enjoy the no tie look; but to me, if you're not going to wear a tie, you must NAIL everything else for something like a wedding (i.e. tassel loafers, patterned sport coat, great trouser color, pocket square, etc). I don't have the right loafers to pull that off, and I'd hate to be one of the few people in there without a tie on - but then again I could be one of the few with a tie on - stay tuned.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Tie. Can never go wrong with a tie.

Leave a comment:

• andrewrg
    replied
    Suit and tie always works! If it's a summery vibe, or if you want to be less dressy, try a gingham or checked shirt, and a lighter suit

Leave a comment:

• blan2819
    replied
    Hi All,

Attending a wedding this weekend - dress code is cocktail attire - what should I wear? Tie or no tie?

Leave a comment:

• zorro
    replied
    Originally posted by andrewrg View Post
    I've got that genetic condition too. Are you talking about pain while putting the boots on? Like the sock catching and pulling your toe? In that case I'd recommend boots with more stretchy or larger elastic sections, to allow them to move more as you put them on. Or do you mean when they're on and the toe box is constricting? If you're sure they're the right size, try SuperFeet green insoles. I have an *inexpensive* pair of Deer Stags chelsea boots with these insoles, they make all the difference.
    I used to wear metatarsal pads like these. They go in your shoes on the insole, and they go just under the ball of your foot. They have the effect of raising the ball of your foot under the second toe so your long toe doesn't stick out as much. Might be uncomfortable to have something in your shoe, I eventually stopped wearing them and I find the SuperFeet to help a lot.

https://www.hapad.com/products/foref...etatarsal-pads
    Thanks!... it's just getting them on, once on they are perfect. But getting my foot through the opening and situated pulls the socks back toward the heel. The pressure of my foot hold the sock in the hyperextended state and puts constant pressure on the toe that sticks out... which means my chelseas (2 of them at least) just kind of sit there and never get worn.

Leave a comment:

• andrewrg
    replied
    I've got that genetic condition too. Are you talking about pain while putting the boots on? Like the sock catching and pulling your toe? In that case I'd recommend boots with more stretchy or larger elastic sections, to allow them to move more as you put them on. Or do you mean when they're on and the toe box is constricting? If you're sure they're the right size, try SuperFeet green insoles. I have an *inexpensive* pair of Deer Stags chelsea boots with these insoles, they make all the difference.
    I used to wear metatarsal pads like these. They go in your shoes on the insole, and they go just under the ball of your foot. They have the effect of raising the ball of your foot under the second toe so your long toe doesn't stick out as much. Might be uncomfortable to have something in your shoe, I eventually stopped wearing them and I find the SuperFeet to help a lot.

https://www.hapad.com/products/foref...etatarsal-pads

Leave a comment:

• zorro
    replied
    Does anyone have any magic for getting your chelsea boots on with socks, but without punishing your toes? I have that weird genetic thing where one of my toes is longer than my big toe, so toe area sock restriction is agony.

Leave a comment:

• Loafer28
    replied
    Originally posted by dagreen88 View Post

Thanks!

If anyone is wondering, after a few more half hour rotations of wearing the shoe I finally caved and called the AE store to see what they recommended. They said that a shoe should feel a bit uncomfortable when it is new but if it is crushing your pinky toe that is a sign that you have the wrong size. They recommended exchanging the shoes. I appreciate everyone's help on this!
    After you mentioned that your pinky fell asleep, that’s what I would have recommended. I was able to stretch out a light pinky pinch that wouldn’t go away after a long break-in period. I don’t think you could stretch shoes to solve a major fit issue.

Leave a comment:

• dagreen88
    replied
    Originally posted by bassoonguy View Post

If they are that tight, I would suggest that the shoe is not the right fit and return them. I've tried having a cobbler stretch a pair of AE's before and I don't think they would stretch enough that you are going to feel comfortable in them. With a boat shoe or camp moc you might be able to get away with it as the leather/construction is more forgiving. For the St. john's I think you would be better off with a different size. Perhaps as dagreen88 suggested, a 7E?
    Thanks!

If anyone is wondering, after a few more half hour rotations of wearing the shoe I finally caved and called the AE store to see what they recommended. They said that a shoe should feel a bit uncomfortable when it is new but if it is crushing your pinky toe that is a sign that you have the wrong size. They recommended exchanging the shoes. I appreciate everyone's help on this!

Leave a comment:

• bassoonguy
    replied

They are very tight on on the pinky toe. To the point that it is falling asleep after about half an hour.
    If they are that tight, I would suggest that the shoe is not the right fit and return them. I've tried having a cobbler stretch a pair of AE's before and I don't think they would stretch enough that you are going to feel comfortable in them. With a boat shoe or camp moc you might be able to get away with it as the leather/construction is more forgiving. For the St. john's I think you would be better off with a different size. Perhaps as dagreen88 suggested, a 7E?

Leave a comment:

• dagreen88
    replied
    Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post

No, a regular spring loaded shoe tree will not stretch a shoe (at least not the ones I've used). There are, however, screw-type shoe stretchers for that exact purpose. I've never used one, though.

I don't have the shoe models you're talking about. I guess if I were you, I'd look up the lasts on AE's website and compare. Okay, I did that because I'm a nerd that way. The Strands is on the 65 last, while the Liverpool is on the 943B. The 65 looks like the narrower last, which would be consistent with your experience of the 7.5E Strand fitting perfect, but the Liverpool being too big. The St. John is on the 1943, which especially the same as the 943B, but with a lower cone for shoes (the 943B has a higher cone for boots). The Cavanaugh is on the 114, which also appears to be on the wider side (loafers being more casual shoes and all). So that would seem to me that you were correct to go down half a size with the St. John. What about 7.5D instead of 7E?

If you do decide to keep the St. John's, here's a break in trick that worked for me. I have a pair of AE camp mocs that I deliberately got a little narrow to wear barefoot. Well, they turned out to be way too tight and gave me the most terrible blisters on my heels. I decided to break them in like a pair of boots and wore them around all day with wet wool boot socks. That worked a treat. The wet socks stretched them out just enough to conform to my feet perfectly. The mocs are still snug, but in a good way now, like gloves for my feet. And no more blisters.
    Thanks for the info! I'll stay the course and keep trying to get these broken in.

Leave a comment:

• tankerjohn
    replied
    I need some advice on AE St John's shoes. The Strands and Park Ave I own and wear are 7.5E and they fit great, I have two pairs of loafers (Acheson, and Cavanaugh) and a pair of chelsea boots (Liverpool) and all are 7.5E. All three of the slip on shoes are just a little too big after breaking in. I decided to size down to 7E for these St John's since they are technically a loafer, but gosh damn they are tight.

I brought them into the office so I can wear them around on the carpet and still return if necessary. I was able to tolerate wearing them for about half an hour this morning. How long should I give these? Does anyone else have experience with sizing Strands vs St John's? Did you wear the same size in each? Will spring loaded shoe trees help stretch or they just help keep the shape?
    No, a regular spring loaded shoe tree will not stretch a shoe (at least not the ones I've used). There are, however, screw-type shoe stretchers for that exact purpose. I've never used one, though.

I don't have the shoe models you're talking about. I guess if I were you, I'd look up the lasts on AE's website and compare. Okay, I did that because I'm a nerd that way. The Strands is on the 65 last, while the Liverpool is on the 943B. The 65 looks like the narrower last, which would be consistent with your experience of the 7.5E Strand fitting perfect, but the Liverpool being too big. The St. John is on the 1943, which especially the same as the 943B, but with a lower cone for shoes (the 943B has a higher cone for boots). The Cavanaugh is on the 114, which also appears to be on the wider side (loafers being more casual shoes and all). So that would seem to me that you were correct to go down half a size with the St. John. What about 7.5D instead of 7E?

If you do decide to keep the St. John's, here's a break in trick that worked for me. I have a pair of AE camp mocs that I deliberately got a little narrow to wear barefoot. Well, they turned out to be way too tight and gave me the most terrible blisters on my heels. I decided to break them in like a pair of boots and wore them around all day with wet wool boot socks. That worked a treat. The wet socks stretched them out just enough to conform to my feet perfectly. The mocs are still snug, but in a good way now, like gloves for my feet. And no more blisters.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X