Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a quick question, get an answer

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • There is probably a practical purpose for the colors for when one is actually diving.

    I agree that divers aren't very formal. They are sport watches. I am sure some people think they can wear them with anything because they cost a lot.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by ryn View Post
      There is probably a practical purpose for the colors for when one is actually diving.

      I agree that divers aren't very formal. They are sport watches. I am sure some people think they can wear them with anything because they cost a lot.
      I wondered about that but wouldn't it be too dark down there to see the colors anyway? Obviously I'm not a diver myself...

      I never wear a suit. I work for the government and wear chinos, a tie and sportscoat every day. I'm usually wearing a sportier watch like a pilot or a chronograph. I'm not trying to make this really dressy. I like the colorful bezel, but it also seems like one more color to match/coordinate along with tie, belt, pocket square, shoes, socks etc.

      I don't think of divers as expensive, aside from the Sub and the Seamaster it looks like a lot of people (including me) are looking at the Citizen/Seiko/Orient range of ~$200 or less.

      Appreciate the help.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Northerner View Post
        I wondered about that but wouldn't it be too dark down there to see the colors anyway? Obviously I'm not a diver myself...
        You'd carry a light. If you can't see the colors you can't see the watch and you'll die underwater when your oxygen runs out. I'm sure no modern diver is relying on one of these, though.

        I wouldn't bother trying to match the dial with pocket square and whatnot. If you need the bezel to match your socks then the watch is too casual for the outfit.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Northerner View Post

          I never wear a suit. I work for the government and wear chinos, a tie and sportscoat every day. I'm usually wearing a sportier watch like a pilot or a chronograph. I'm not trying to make this really dressy. I like the colorful bezel, but it also seems like one more color to match/coordinate along with tie, belt, pocket square, shoes, socks etc.


          Appreciate the help.
          With chinos and a sport coat I don't see a colored bezel and/or textured face being a big deal. I wouldn't get too carried away with trying to match every detail of the watch to your outfit. In my opinion at some point you cross the line from well coordinated to overly matchy matchy. If it has a leather strap it should be at least somewhat similar to the leather on your belt and shoes, past that I think some randomness in the coloring can actually add a little depth and character to your outfit.

          Comment


          • How's the length of this sport coat? Seems to be a bit short. Generally I wear an regular, this is a short but is longer than expected. One of the jcp sport coats featured a while ago by Joe at the local thrift for $1. Love everything about it, but I'm concerned on the length.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by teethtime View Post
              How's the length of this sport coat? Seems to be a bit short. Generally I wear an regular, this is a short but is longer than expected. One of the jcp sport coats featured a while ago by Joe at the local thrift for $1. Love everything about it, but I'm concerned on the length.

              Just a bit short but I wouldn't worry about it.
              Instagram: WoofOrWeft

              Comment


              • So i pulled out my SS Napoli Gray Heringbone that I got from the outlet sale to give to my tailor and noticed the tag says 50/40. The suit purchased was a 40R but the inside tag says 50 but under USA/UK it says 40.

                It fits slightly bigger than my other 40R Napolis but curious why it says 50/40?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                  So i pulled out my SS Napoli Gray Heringbone that I got from the outlet sale to give to my tailor and noticed the tag says 50/40. The suit purchased was a 40R but the inside tag says 50 but under USA/UK it says 40.

                  It fits slightly bigger than my other 40R Napolis but curious why it says 50/40?
                  50 is simply the European sizing equivalent.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Matt Dalton

                  Comment


                  • [MENTION=11746]mattdalton[/MENTION] ... ah simple just cuz the jacket fit a bit different I thought there might've been something else ... thanks

                    Comment


                    • Does anyone know of a good alternative to the J Crew Ludlow Legacy blazer? I've been trying to get one forever but they never have my size in stock (39R), and I'm finally just going to try to find a different brand. I'm looking for a navy wool blazer that's classic but updated (i.e. no gold buttons) and would be good for business casual. Any ideas?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by dcer1 View Post
                        Does anyone know of a good alternative to the J Crew Ludlow Legacy blazer? I've been trying to get one forever but they never have my size in stock (39R), and I'm finally just going to try to find a different brand. I'm looking for a navy wool blazer that's classic but updated (i.e. no gold buttons) and would be good for business casual. Any ideas?
                        Does the Crosby fit work for you? They have that in your size

                        https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...can-wool/F3898

                        If that won't work most of the dappered usual suspects (SuitSupply, Banana Republic, Nordstroms, Todd Snyder, brooks brothers, Bonobos, Lands End) should have options for a good blazer.
                        Last edited by Me27; February 13th, 2017, 10:53 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Ebay is your friend: there are 84 hits for "navy blazer 39R" right now.

                          I scored one of the old JCrew Legacy's for <$100 NWT last year.

                          Comment


                          • Is $299 USD for a pair of Shoebank shoes a good price (assuming the shoes are in good shape)? Or does the price drop even further? Thank you.

                            Comment


                            • I'd say to wait it out for further price drops. The two pairs that I have gotten through shoebank were for $199 and $149. At that price it's not a huge leap to firsts.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                                Is $299 USD for a pair of Shoebank shoes a good price (assuming the shoes are in good shape)? Or does the price drop even further? Thank you.
                                Depends on model and material. For anything cordovan or park ave / fifth ave / strand / mcallister (their most popular styles etc.) in a staple color, $299 is not bad (it's good for cordovan). For all else, it's likely that the price will drop further.
                                Instagram: WoofOrWeft

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X