• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sugarfree View Post
    Do you guys know any store that sells a mac similar to this
    https://ministryofsupply.com/products/dry-days-mac-1

Waterproof, with hood, not too bulky.

I think $375 is too much for this. Looking for a cheaper alternative.

Thanks
    That doesn't actually seem that expensive to me. Waterproof 3-layer construction and seam-taped for $375 seems reasonable if it's well-made.

I'm tempted to buy it. I've been looking for a raincoat, though I'd rather not have a stow-hood.

Comment

• [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] I don't think it looks that bad. If anything I would just try switching to a pair of shoes in dark chocolate or something similar. Usually I wear my Fifth Avenues in burnished calf with brown trousers.

Comment

• Boot Care Question

Question about boot care:

Purchased a pair of these. I've never owned a pair of boots with oil-tanned leather. It feels almost suede-ish to me, although it clearly isn't. It's soft, though.

Is there any reason I could not use Sno Seal on these? Was poking around for confirmation online and couldn't really find anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          Pic:

I think there is enough contrast. I find burgundy/merlot to be an excellent pair for brown trousers. I have done black in the past but it can be tricky. There are many blogs about how to successfully do black shoes with brown suits and that it can be a classic combination but it take a some planning. I find that my black tassel loafers can work well with brown trousers, off white shirt and burgundy tie.

Comment

• Originally posted by phatte View Post
            Question about boot care:

Purchased a pair of these. I've never owned a pair of boots with oil-tanned leather. It feels almost suede-ish to me, although it clearly isn't. It's soft, though.

Is there any reason I could not use Sno Seal on these? Was poking around for confirmation online and couldn't really find anything.
            Should be fine as long as you don't mind that it will darken the leather.

Comment

• Originally posted by doomx View Post
              I think there is enough contrast. I find burgundy/merlot to be an excellent pair for brown trousers. I have done black in the past but it can be tricky. There are many blogs about how to successfully do black shoes with brown suits and that it can be a classic combination but it take a some planning. I find that my black tassel loafers can work well with brown trousers, off white shirt and burgundy tie.
              I also find the suede pairing just fine but understand the want for more contrast. I wear my bourbon shoes with my flannel brown pants which gives some contrast, but those pants are a bit darker than Ben's suit. I have yet to try the black with brown, but have seen it done well at times, but seems like you have to thread the needle a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by dpark View Post
                Should be fine as long as you don't mind that it will darken the leather.
                Are you aware of waterproofing products that would not alter the color?

Comment

• [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] I echo the others. I think it looks fine but understand your question. I think I would probably do a smooth leather like someone earlier suggested.

Comment

• I recently bought a suit in grey-brown glen plaid and am having a similar question to LBD, but with a less rich shade of brown. Will post a picture as well when I get home.
                    Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Comment

• Quick question in regards to the rule of thumb on suit shoulder fit, basically the vertical seam on a jacket and where it should sit. I have read this shouldn't sit directly on top of the shoulder, but should be on the "apex" or kind of right where the shoulder begins to slope into the arm, is this correct? To make this visually understandable, shouldn't the seam of the jack be located around the index/middle finger in this photo?

Here's basically the same angle in a suit to show placement

Comment

• Originally posted by phatte View Post
                        Are you aware of waterproofing products that would not alter the color?
                        Not really, no. Just making sure you're aware of the darkening effect. It should work fine on oil tanned leather though.

Comment

• Originally posted by beaver View Post
                          Quick question in regards to the rule of thumb on suit shoulder fit, basically the vertical seam on a jacket and where it should sit. I have read this shouldn't sit directly on top of the shoulder, but should be on the "apex" or kind of right where the shoulder begins to slope into the arm, is this correct?
                          I'm no jacket fitting expert, but that's roughly correct. There's a lot of variability in this depending on the fit you like, though. The slimmer the fit, the further in on the shoulder the seam will generally be. A boxy jacket would be styled with the seam way past the actual shoulder. A skin-tight jacket will have it further inside the shoulder. e.g. Gustin's jackets have quite narrow shoulders. https://www.weargustin.com/store/4739

Where you see it in the suited picture you posted is generally fine.

Comment

• Yeah, it's a little weird since everyone's got different shoulders. For me all I care about is the wall test, as long as it passes I'm good with it (provided I don't look like I have shoulder pads).

Comment

• is there anything I can do about the blemishes on the toe?

Comment

• Originally posted by HankScorpio View Post
                                is there anything I can do about the blemishes on the toe?
                                I would try using some shoe cream in a color close to the darker area of the shoe. I find that Saphir shoe creams have more pigment than most of other shoe creams and can help create a more consistent color overall.

Comment

Working...
                                X