This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eagles View Post
    Have an interview with a fairly conservative company. Wearing a navy suit, white dress shirt, and burgundy tie. The only two pairs of dress shoes I own are bourbon AE McGregors and burgundy Wyatt monk straps from BR. Am OK with one of them or should I go out and buy something else?
    Bourbon McGregors are fine, no need to go out and buy something else.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post
      Bourbon McGregors are fine, no need to go out and buy something else.
      Second that.

Comment

Is the $100 saving on AE bourbon shoes a good deal? Specifically the McAllisters for $295?

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
          Is the $100 saving on AE bourbon shoes a good deal? Specifically the McAllisters for $295?
          It's a decent price, if you really like AE and/or really want the bourbon color you should get it. There are tons of options once you get to $300+: Loake, Cheaney, Carmina, Alfred Sargent, Crockett & Jones, Cobbler Union, etc.
          Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

It's pretty good -- or at least good enough to be used as an excuse to order some Daltons for myself. If you time AE right and for the right colors, you can get a little more off. For comparison, I think I paid ~$200 for Merlot McAllisters on clearance once and ~$250 for Walnut Strands with an AE price match during the Nordstrom 1/2 yearly sale. But bourbon is a limited release and only available direct thru AE, so would be surprised if they ever made it beyond $100 off.

Comment

Decent deal, but not the best for McAllisters. For example, the burgundy McAllisters and brown similar version from BB were in the low 200s not that long ago ( https://dappered.com/2016/08/how-to-...ingtip-oxford/ and https://dappered.com/2016/12/steal-a...tional-25-off/ )

From my recollection, not sure they go down much further than $300-325 from AE. I got my pair when they were 'doing away' with Bourbon AEs and still not 100% I got a better deal than that on bourbon (it's been a year or three).

Comment

Well at least we're all consistent, even if you have to read it thrice.

Comment

Its a good deal, but not a great one. AE pretty routinely runs $100 off sales, usually limited to a specific style or color (They did this for Merlot last year, then its was $100 of strands, then after that sale it was $100 off boots, now $100 off bourbon, ect). If you're patient sometimes they will do $150 off (like they did for Fifth Aves on their anniversary sale last year) or they might wind up on clearance in the $200-$250 price range, of course there is not guarantee this will happen........ if I was in need of some wingtips, liked bourbon, and it fit my budget I would have no problem paying $300 for a pair of new McAllisters.

Edit: guess I am about 3 minutes too slow

Comment

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Comment

Do you guys know any store that sells a mac similar to this
                      https://ministryofsupply.com/products/dry-days-mac-1

Waterproof, with hood, not too bulky.

I think $375 is too much for this. Looking for a cheaper alternative.

Thanks

Comment

I'm wearing my Spier brown wool/linen herringbone suit for the first time today. (Bit of a tactical error given that it is 0 degrees and blizzarding out but that's how it goes.) I like it overall but my shoes (brown suede chukkas) match the suit almost perfectly, as do most of my dressier shoes, which are almost all dark brown. I'm not sure whether it's giving a bit of a footie pajama look since they are so similar. I guess I'm just wondering what other folks wear for shoes when they wear brown suits or brown trousers. I am probably just overthinking things. Will try to post up some pics later.
                        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          I'm wearing my Spier brown wool/linen herringbone suit for the first time today. (Bit of a tactical error given that it is 0 degrees and blizzarding out but that's how it goes.) I like it overall but my shoes (brown suede chukkas) match the suit almost perfectly, as do most of my dressier shoes, which are almost all dark brown. I'm not sure whether it's giving a bit of a footie pajama look since they are so similar. I guess I'm just wondering what other folks wear for shoes when they wear brown suits or brown trousers. I am probably just overthinking things. Will try to post up some pics later.
                          I like a bit of contrast - I would probably go with merlot or lighter brown shoes for dark brown trousers and dark brown shoes for light brown trousers.

Comment

Pic:

Ben

Comment

I also really dislike not having contrast between my shoes and pants, the footie pajama look is a great way to describe it. I would think having suede shoes might even make things worse, because now not only is there no color contrast, but also there is probably not much texture contrast either. A pair of shiny smooth brown leather shoes might be an improvement. Fortunately for me I have a pair of very dark brown (almost chocolate) oxfords that are noticeably darker than my darkest pair of brown trousers. They are definitely not the dappered thread favorites, but i'll wear black shoes with brown pants from time to time and think it can actually look great. I generally try to avoid shoes that are lighter than my pants, but this could be a situation where some walnut type shoes could work out too?

Edit: After seeing the pictures, I really like that suit, and I don't think the suede texture of the shoes are doing you any favors, I think that same color in smooth leather would actually look pretty nice with the suit.
                              Last edited by Me27; January 11, 2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I like it overall but my shoes (brown suede chukkas) match the suit almost perfectly, as do most of my dressier shoes, which are almost all dark brown. I'm not sure whether it's giving a bit of a footie pajama look since they are so similar.
                                I think the shoes actually look nice with that suit. I don't think the low contrast there meshes well with the high contrast you've got going on with the tie and shirt, though. I think those shoes, that suit, and something like a light blue shirt with a solid burgundy tie would look very nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X