Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great advice and thoughts, thanks both!

Comment

• The rule is just the opposite, the jacket stays on. Men used to be considered fully dressed only when they wore a jacket.

The fact that you can take off your jacket is loosening of the rules. Of course when I wear my sportscoat inside people sometimes react as if I am wearing a winter coat.

There is a rule where you aren't supposed to take off your jacket before the host. Probably the safest thing to do is just not be the first to take yours off.

Comment

• I never take off a jacket at a restaurant or an event (unless it's extremely stuffy inside) and have never heard of such a rule. I take it off at the office, but that's different than going out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Part of the reason I dislike jackets with t-shirts is that I know what the inside of my shirt collars look like after I wear them (thank goodness for OxiClean), and I have no desire to subject an expensive tailored jacket to that kind of gross ring-around-the-collar business.
          Ben

Comment

• Does JCrew post their waist, thigh, rise type measurements for the Bowery Classic pants? I cannot seem to find them anywhere. When you click their sizing it says that 32 = medium ... thanks ...

I want to see how my usual 32x32 compares to the S&M trousers.

Comment

• To me the "take the jacket off indoors" idea only applies to the office (in which case it's optional, but probably best to do what others at your work do). In an environment such as a party, club, bar or other social situation, I would keep it on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spex View Post
                To me the "take the jacket off indoors" idea only applies to the office (in which case it's optional, but probably best to do what others at your work do). In an environment such as a party, club, bar or other social situation, I would keep it on.
                Ditto

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                  Does JCrew post their waist, thigh, rise type measurements for the Bowery Classic pants? I cannot seem to find them anywhere. When you click their sizing it says that 32 = medium ... thanks ...

I want to see how my usual 32x32 compares to the S&M trousers.
                  https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...uide/Dress.jsp

I spent a lot of time looking for this recently. They only have thigh and leg opening.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                    Does JCrew post their waist, thigh, rise type measurements for the Bowery Classic pants? I cannot seem to find them anywhere.
                    If you email customer service, they can often give you the detailed measurements for a particular item.

Comment

• Ask a quick question, get an answer

I'm not sure if this warrants a thread so i'm starting here. I just this summer started upgrading my wardrobe and have secured a whole bunch of basics -- ocbd's, sweaters, dark denim, new tees, business casual stuff, etc.

Even during the grunge days of the 90s I never had a proper flannel shirt. While I certainly don't dress like a peacock, I do go for lighter colors and more interesting shirts, even if subtly so. I own one gray flannel shirt from Brooks Brothers - the red fleece button down. As I look around, it seems like everyone has the same patterns, whether they are big giant plaids that all look the same or that red black Buffalo thing. Finally today I lucked into this New England Shirt Company one for 35 bucks. The original price was $217--a little out of my league.

Does anyone have a recommendation for affordable options that are a little different from the rest? I don't love the wrangler 2 snappy pocket kind. In a perfect world one of those proper cloth subtle Italian flannel patterns in green with a spread collar would be less than $145.

Thanks much. I'm attaching a photo of the one I found today. I like light blues and lavender and was pleasantly surprised to find this.

Comment

• Originally posted by carlitos View Post
                        I'm not sure if this warrants a thread so i'm starting here. I just this summer started upgrading my wardrobe and have secured a whole bunch of basics -- ocbd's, sweaters, dark denim, new tees, business casual stuff, etc.

Even during the grunge days of the 90s I never had a proper flannel shirt. While I certainly don't dress like a peacock, I do go for lighter colors and more interesting shirts, even if subtly so. I own one gray flannel shirt from Brooks Brothers - the red fleece button down. As I look around, it seems like everyone has the same patterns, whether they are big giant plaids that all look the same or that red black Buffalo thing. Finally today I lucked into this New England Shirt Company one for 35 bucks. The original price was $217--a little out of my league.

Does anyone have a recommendation for affordable options that are a little different from the rest? I don't love the wrangler 2 snappy pocket kind. In a perfect world one of those proper cloth subtle Italian flannel patterns in green with a spread collar would be less than $145.

Thanks much. I'm attaching a photo of the one I found today. I like light blues and lavender and was pleasantly surprised to find this.

I think Spier and Mackay is going to have flannel shirts soon IINM.

Comment

• How long does it take to get a new thread/post on this forum approved? I tried making a post for the first time and it mentioned it needed moderator approval before being visible, but that was Wednesday morning. Not sure if my post went through or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by carlitos View Post
                            Uniqlo has lots of inexpensive flannel shirts. I found the material to be somewhat thin though when I handled them.

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men/casual-shirts/

Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
                            I think Spier and Mackay is going to have flannel shirts soon IINM.
                            I had asked them about flannel shirts after Proper Cloth had released some that I thought looked really nice. The answer was basically no, since it's apparently difficult to source quality flannel. Perhaps I misunderstood. They do have some "melange" and "brushed cotton" shirts currently. I'm not sure how that differs from flannel.

Comment

• Are grenadine ties too dressy to wear with OCBD's?

Comment

• Originally posted by DapperedHoo View Post
                                Are grenadine ties too dressy to wear with OCBD's?
                                When I think of oxford cloth, I think of a brushed version so the shirt has some visual texture. In this instance, I think an OCBD and grenadine tie would not work. If the shirt is a button down collar but not a brushed texture, I could see how it may work.

Comment

Working...
                                X