Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any recommendations for a shirt material in light grey that doesn't show as much sweat as regular cotton?

Comment

does one still follow the sometimes-always-never buttoning rule for this kind of jacket?

Comment

Hi Dappered, I bought a bunch of thick socks (e.g. https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-cloth...name=navy-blue). Would wearing these socks stretch out my shoes significantly? I intend to wear them with chukkas. In general, would thick socks stretch out shoes in general? Appreciate your help.

Comment

Originally posted by hippiecrap View Post
          Hi Dappered, I bought a bunch of thick socks (e.g. https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-cloth...name=navy-blue). Would wearing these socks stretch out my shoes significantly? I intend to wear them with chukkas. In general, would thick socks stretch out shoes in general? Appreciate your help.
          Since when do hippies wear shoes?

Anyway, I've never heard of one case of someone's socks stretching out their shoes. If it was happening I think you would be noticeably uncomfortable.
          My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

[MENTION=14790]hippiecrap[/MENTION] -- the shoes may get a bit snug with those socks on, but I wouldn't worry about stretching them out. If you're in the market for some more pairs of thick socks I would suggest Costco's Merino wool option -- 4 pair for $11.99.

Comment

[MENTION=14790]hippiecrap[/MENTION] yeah, I think you'll be fine. Never hear much about shoe stretching other than when it forms to your foot through wear.

Comment

Does anybody know where the Glen H. Plaid tie pictured in the "only five neckties you need" article comes from? Was it TTB and has been discontinued? I have tried to track it down with zero success. Thanks!

Comment

I was given two J.Crew in-store only coupons for Christmas, each of which is good for $20 off of $100+ through January 3. Does anyone know if these are stackable? The fine print isn't especially clear.

Comment

I keep hearing to the benefits of a navy hopsack jacket but don't see companies offer items by that exact name. Can someone post a link to a suit supply version, hopefully without peak lapels? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                      I was given two J.Crew in-store only coupons for Christmas, each of which is good for $20 off of $100+ through January 3. Does anyone know if these are stackable? The fine print isn't especially clear.
                      Stack as in $40 off $100 (or $40 off $120)? Pretty sure that the answer is no.

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                      I keep hearing to the benefits of a navy hopsack jacket but don't see companies offer items by that exact name. Can someone post a link to a suit supply version, hopefully without peak lapels? Thanks!
                      Spier and Mackay said they'll be selling one soon.

Here's a pricey double-breasted version from Suit Supply:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/coats...jort/J318.html

I don't see any others on their site currently. These are similarly-textured weaves, but not wool and not quite Navy:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jacke...ain/C781I.html

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jacke...ain/C922I.html

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
                        Stack as in $40 off $100 (or $40 off $120)? Pretty sure that the answer is no.
                        $40 off of $100+. I figured as much. I couldn't find anything to buy anyway so it doesn't matter.

Comment

Anyone know a good tailor in Las Vegas?

Comment

Would a medium grey Stafford be appropriate for an interview suit? I wanted a darker grey as I am not comfortable in the navy, but the only other color available during the most recent sales was charcoal which I usually like but this was much too black looking. I am thinking of pairing the suit with a white/grey stripped shirt and a pair of brown cap toes. I just ordered the suit as its been almost 10 years since I wore a suit and that one just doesn't fit like it used to...
                            TIA
                            -e

Comment

Originally posted by el_ote View Post
                              Would a medium grey Stafford be appropriate for an interview suit? I wanted a darker grey as I am not comfortable in the navy, but the only other color available during the most recent sales was charcoal which I usually like but this was much too black looking. I am thinking of pairing the suit with a white/grey stripped shirt and a pair of brown cap toes. I just ordered the suit as its been almost 10 years since I wore a suit and that one just doesn't fit like it used to...
                              TIA
                              -e
                              Somehow I accidentally deleted my post. Let's try again...

A medium gray suit will be fine for most industries. For really conservative industries, charcoal and navy are more appropriate. Charcoal and navy are your safest bets in general, as are black shoes. But again, for most job interviews, pretty much any suit that isn't a pastel will be fine.

You might want to share what industry you're interviewing in and people with experience there can give you more applicable guidance.

Comment

Thanks dpark. The job is for my local county with the the emergency services as a dispatcher. I do usually prefer a darker suit for interviews but as I said this was on sale and i figured I could see about exchanging it if the color was completely off when it ships to the store. Your post helps me feel better about the grey though, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X