Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a quick question, get an answer

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by ELNJ View Post
    You could go with 33-34 instead (unless they're out of stock). Then you could shorten, which hides the former crease. When you lengthen, I'm not sure how easily you can get rid of the crease line - depends a lot on the fabric, I suppose.
    Yeah, J Crew Factory slim fit voyager only comes in 33-32 or 34-34. I am going to give the 33-32 a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Comment


      Originally posted by smoothy View Post
      Yeah, J Crew Factory slim fit voyager only comes in 33-32 or 34-34. I am going to give the 33-32 a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.
      Ah, right - now that you mention it, I seem to remember noticing this. (I'm very close to 33-33 myself.) Let us know how it works out!

      Comment


        I just got a pair of AE seconds that I want to return. I know I can save the return fee if I get them back to an outlet store, but will it be the same if I return to a retail store?

        Comment


          Quick opinions needed:

          Got invited to a wedding that's happening tonight. The gal pal who invited me wants me to wear the same thing I was wearing when she invited me, for reasons and things. So the outfit is already basically decided.

          I'm down to picking a watch. I've only got one orangey-tan watch strap that matches the belt and shoes I'm going to wear, and only a couple watches that fit it. Can't decide between my blue Ray or the black-and-white Mako USA.

          Opinions?



          And the outfit... may go with a white shirt instead of blue for better contrast with the tie, though:

          Ben

          Comment


            Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            Quick opinions needed:

            Got invited to a wedding that's happening tonight. The gal pal who invited me wants me to wear the same thing I was wearing when she invited me, for reasons and things. So the outfit is already basically decided.

            I'm down to picking a watch. I've only got one orangey-tan watch strap that matches the belt and shoes I'm going to wear, and only a couple watches that fit it. Can't decide between my blue Ray or the black-and-white Mako USA.

            Opinions?



            And the outfit... may go with a white shirt instead of blue for better contrast with the tie, though:

            I'd go with the one on the right.
            My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

            Comment


              Was going to order a Spier and Mackay suit very soon. I'm a little gun shy now because I tried on some suits at a consignment store (and I've been wearing a couple sport coats at 38R (too small but workable) and 40R (fine in shoulders but idealy needs let out in the gut to fit properly) and all the 40's were WAY too small even in the shoulders and chest, not just where I would need alterations done. I tried on a BR 42R and it fit like a glove. Do BR suits tend to run small?

              Comment


                Am headed away for a quick weekend wedding -- morning ceremony is formal, lunch is casual, dinner is somewhere in the middle. Hurricane's a-coming so want to pack light. Can I pull off the following:

                Ceremony:
                JCF Voyager suit in navy (https://factory.jcrew.com/mens_cloth...name=dark-navy), blue gingham shirt, crimson tie, walnut Strands

                Lunch:
                same gingham shirt, swap suit for Gustin chinos in caramel (https://www.weargustin.com/store/2293), swap Strands for Oak Street camp boots (https://oakstreetbootmakers.com/foot...rown-camp-boot)

                Dinner: keep gingham shirt, chinos, boots, add on orphaned JCF Voyager suit jacket (as quasi-sportcoat) and navy knit tie

                Is the dinner outfit too much of a mish-mash of formal and informal?

                Comment


                  Originally posted by jmreg View Post
                  Was going to order a Spier and Mackay suit very soon. I'm a little gun shy now because I tried on some suits at a consignment store (and I've been wearing a couple sport coats at 38R (too small but workable) and 40R (fine in shoulders but idealy needs let out in the gut to fit properly) and all the 40's were WAY too small even in the shoulders and chest, not just where I would need alterations done. I tried on a BR 42R and it fit like a glove. Do BR suits tend to run small?
                  If you know the measurements of the BR suit, you can compare them with the measurements on Spier & Mackay's website (on the suit's actual product page)

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by cjl1978 View Post
                    Am headed away for a quick weekend wedding -- morning ceremony is formal, lunch is casual, dinner is somewhere in the middle. Hurricane's a-coming so want to pack light. Can I pull off the following:

                    Ceremony:
                    JCF Voyager suit in navy (https://factory.jcrew.com/mens_cloth...name=dark-navy), blue gingham shirt, crimson tie, walnut Strands

                    Lunch:
                    same gingham shirt, swap suit for Gustin chinos in caramel (https://www.weargustin.com/store/2293), swap Strands for Oak Street camp boots (https://oakstreetbootmakers.com/foot...rown-camp-boot)

                    Dinner: keep gingham shirt, chinos, boots, add on orphaned JCF Voyager suit jacket (as quasi-sportcoat) and navy knit tie

                    Is the dinner outfit too much of a mish-mash of formal and informal?
                    Personally, I would not pair a wool orphaned suit jacket with chinos. As a general rule, my jackets/blazers match the fabric of my pants - cotton with cotton; wool with wool. Do I think your proposed dinner outfit would look terrible or out of place? No - it's just not what I would choose to wear.

                    Comment


                      Hope it is ok that I post this here though I created a post prior to seeing this .... I need help
                      PLEASE .....and ..... THANK YOU !!!

                      Groom here, and I will be in a black tux .... with necktie (black)
                      White dress shirt (saks brand) french cuffs.

                      So, it is pretty standard minus the bow tie (neck issues make them look terrible on me)

                      Question:
                      1) Would like to buy one backup dress shirt OTR (I'm short on time) just in case tailoring doesn't produce positive results.
                      I'm shorter and more on the muscular/barrel chested side.
                      Brands I can find in store that you sense would be best ? Point collar/french cuff/NO BOX PLEAT!!!
                      PLEASE ADVISE !! THANKS!

                      2) So far, no cumber or vest ......
                      Would a vest really make a world of difference ???
                      Obviously I want to look as good as possible for her !

                      Comment


                        hello guys!

                        i am in the market for a topcoat (car coat? overcoat?) similar to this


                        what is the most versatile color for this?
                        i will NOT wear this with a suit.
                        i will be only wearing this with a sweater, an ocbd, maybe a henley or a t-shirt. so it will be more of a casual to semi-formal setting.
                        i want it to be slimmer. closer to the body.

                        can you guys point me on where i can get this?
                        i saw the wool overcoat from combatant gent, looks nice but not sure about the sizing.

                        thanks!

                        Comment


                          If you want to stand out from the black and navy crown then I recommend a darker camel/tan. If you're feeling bold then a deep mustard or Olive. If this is your first top coat then I recommend the basics for your wadrobe which would be black and/or navy. Depending on your personality an olive, tan or mustard would look very sharp for this fall/winter.

                          Comment


                            Apologies if this has been asked a million times (I did a search but didn't find anything), but is there a general rule of thumb for sizing up/sizing down when moving between AE lasts? Specifically, I'm a 9.5C on the 5 last and trying to figure out what that would equate to on the 7. AE customer service didn't want to get into specific guidance, for which I don't blame them, so hoping you guys might have some experience/recommendations.

                            (I know I should just go into a store and get fitted, but this will likely be a Shoebank purchase and I'd feel weird about taking up an SA's time.)
                            “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                            "The mood will pass, sir.”

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Sideswipe View Post
                              Apologies if this has been asked a million times (I did a search but didn't find anything), but is there a general rule of thumb for sizing up/sizing down when moving between AE lasts? Specifically, I'm a 9.5C on the 5 last and trying to figure out what that would equate to on the 7. AE customer service didn't want to get into specific guidance, for which I don't blame them, so hoping you guys might have some experience/recommendations.

                              (I know I should just go into a store and get fitted, but this will likely be a Shoebank purchase and I'd feel weird about taking up an SA's time.)
                              I have a pair of 7-last shoes (MacNeils) that are my best-fitting shoes, and I found the 5 last shoes I tried on to be too tight in the mid-foot region. (Not the widest part of the foot, but near the arch.). So that might suggest that the 7 last is a little wider, though again this isn't in the part where width is usually measured. So I'd say order your usual size, or possibly one width narrower. If it's Shoebank, you may not have a choice anyway - not every style is available in every size.

                              FYI, I've never been charged return shipping nor a restocking fee for sending back a pair ordered from the Shoebank, so you don't have much to lose (though YMMV of course). Good luck.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by ELNJ View Post
                                I have a pair of 7-last shoes (MacNeils) that are my best-fitting shoes, and I found the 5 last shoes I tried on to be too tight in the mid-foot region. (Not the widest part of the foot, but near the arch.). So that might suggest that the 7 last is a little wider, though again this isn't in the part where width is usually measured. So I'd say order your usual size, or possibly one width narrower. If it's Shoebank, you may not have a choice anyway - not every style is available in every size.

                                FYI, I've never been charged return shipping nor a restocking fee for sending back a pair ordered from the Shoebank, so you don't have much to lose (though YMMV of course). Good luck.
                                Great info, appreciate it!
                                “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                                "The mood will pass, sir.”

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X