Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a fan. It just looks like you're wearing a wrinkled shirt. Plus the collar is too small (it should touch the lapels). I like the tie, but it needs a dimple below the knot. Agree that a tie bar would look sharp with the skinny tie.

Comment

[MENTION=13835]dcer10[/MENTION]
      1. Depends on the shirt and the pants. If you're wearing a traditional pleated or bib front shirt with belt loop pants, it will look like you don't know how to dress yourself. If it's a plain front shirt with high waisted pants made for braces, then no problem.

2. Again, depends on the outfit. A tradional tux with bib front shirt, wingtip collar, and bow tie, I'd do patent leather. With a more modern look of plain front shirt and long tie, regular cap toes may add to the "casually cool" hip look.

3. Silk

Comment

Can anyone ID the leather jacket in the pictures below? Thanks.

Comment

Looks more like waxed cotton than leather to me, maybe Belstaff or Barbour.
          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by sskim3 View Post
            I like the blazer and the tie. I thought the chambray tie would have a little bit more texture. IMHO, I think a silk knit tie would kick it up a notch due to the added texture. The chambray tie looks like a smooth silk tie which makes the rig a little flat.

Hopefully others will be able to chime in.
            Originally posted by connersw View Post
            Not a fan. It just looks like you're wearing a wrinkled shirt. Plus the collar is too small (it should touch the lapels). I like the tie, but it needs a dimple below the knot. Agree that a tie bar would look sharp with the skinny tie.
            Originally posted by CrimsonFed View Post
            A little bit of tie bar action might kick it up a notch, too.
            Thanks everyone for the feedback! I plan to use a tie bar, I just didn't feel like breaking it out for the photo. I will definitely have a dimple, I just tied a quick FIH for the photo (the skinny end is actually longer than the fat end, but don't tell anyone ) I'm still out on weather to wear that shirt or not...

Comment

Would a medium blue spier and mackay suit be an acceptable stand in for a navy blue suit?
              I will be heading to a conference where I may be able to interview for a post grad fellowship. In this case should i cough up the extra money for a true navy suit?

this is the medium blue sharkskin suit I was thinking about.
              http://www.spierandmackay.com/produc...ntemporary_fit

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kmclaughlin View Post
                Would a medium blue spier and mackay suit be an acceptable stand in for a navy blue suit?
                I will be heading to a conference where I may be able to interview for a post grad fellowship. In this case should i cough up the extra money for a true navy suit?
                Probably due to the influence of Mad Men, that’s the most popular color in New York right now. I think it is fine for a conference with an interview.

Be aware that medium blue is a color—not a “neutral,” like charcoal or navy—and must be accessorized carefully. You can wear almost any tie with a neutral but the shade has to be right with a color. I don’t think the lavender tie in the photo works as well as it could.

In my opinion, the best looks for medium blue right now are matte/textured monochromatic (e.g., blue grenadine) or something with true contrast, like orange or pink. For an interview I'd stick with matte blue.

Comment

I like that suit a lot, but a navy suit has a lot more uses, if you're debating between the two, and will only buy one.

Comment

Does anyone have any sizing experience with Nordstrom shirts? Specifically, is "trim fit" sizing consistent among their in-house brands? I like the fit of the Nordstrom Rack trim fit, and was wondering if the measurements are the same for trim fit shirts from main line Nordstrom and John W. Nordstrom.

Comment

No idea about rack, but the others are consistent. I think 1901 is different but do not have any. Nordstrom has measurements on their site.

Comment

I took a peek at the measurements on Nordstrom.com, and indeed Nordstrom and John W. are sized the same. My question is whether they fit the same as the Rack branded trim fit. I may end up having to scour the clearance section at my Nordstrom Rack to see if I can find a mainline Nordstrom or John W. shirt to try on.

Comment

I have a few (4) brooks brothers Madison suits sized 41R and pants 34/31. Recently I've lost a bit of weight (15lbs) and the Fitzgerald cut is better for me. Better to have suits tailored to fit (pants are big in the waist and jacket feels big) or just to pick up new suits in the Fitzgerald cut which is overall a better fit for me?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                            I have a few (4) brooks brothers Madison suits sized 41R and pants 34/31. Recently I've lost a bit of weight (15lbs) and the Fitzgerald cut is better for me. Better to have suits tailored to fit (pants are big in the waist and jacket feels big) or just to pick up new suits in the Fitzgerald cut which is overall a better fit for me?
                            Four BB suits is a lot to trash. Find a good alterations tailor and have him experiment with one and see what he can do.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a solid pair of basic/essential linen pants? Preferably a retail option (I'd like to grab a pair before I leave town tomorrow), but online works too.

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
                                Four BB suits is a lot to trash. Find a good alterations tailor and have him experiment with one and see what he can do.
                                Good idea. I should mention they are BB Factory, not sure how much that matters but still a decent investment in them.

Comment

Working...
                                X