Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a quick question, get an answer

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Anyone with experience regarding J Crew Factory Thompson, Oxford cloth suiting? I'm looking at the Melange Gray that's currently on clearance + 50%.

    https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-cloth...true&hash=row0

    Went ahead and ordered, but no real idea what to expect on sizing and quality of fabric, and whether the gray is truly as light as the photos suggest. There's only two reviews, both positive, and only one mentions sizing. It's not final sale, so I'm not risking much, but I'd like some input on what to expect. All of my previous suits (3) have been all wool, and I'm looking for something a bit cooler for the summer months going forward.

    Comment


      [MENTION=12746]ronrob[/MENTION] Just had it delivered late last week, and I'm a big fan. JCF stuff is hit and miss with me--more often than not, I prefer J.Crew proper. I really like Sutton chinos, but really dislike their shorts and shirts, and the wool Thompson did not work for me at all.

      I took a shot based on this thread since it wasn't final sale: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...-vs-Chino-Suit

      Very, pleasantly surprised. Fabric was much nicer than I was expecting, and it is slightly darker than pictured. Fit was much better than the wool Thompson. I'm a solid BB OTR 40R, and this will need the sleeves shortened and waist taken it. However, for the price I paid, it'll be worth it. Shoulders fit nicely and no weird button height issues.

      Comment


        Originally posted by connersw View Post
        [MENTION=12746]ronrob[/MENTION] Just had it delivered late last week, and I'm a big fan. JCF stuff is hit and miss with me--more often than not, I prefer J.Crew proper. I really like Sutton chinos, but really dislike their shorts and shirts, and the wool Thompson did not work for me at all.

        I took a shot based on this thread since it wasn't final sale: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...-vs-Chino-Suit

        Very, pleasantly surprised. Fabric was much nicer than I was expecting, and it is slightly darker than pictured. Fit was much better than the wool Thompson. I'm a solid BB OTR 40R, and this will need the sleeves shortened and waist taken it. However, for the price I paid, it'll be worth it. Shoulders fit nicely and no weird button height issues.
        Okay, that bodes well for me, thank you. I was hoping for true to color or a bit darker (just not lighter), and I'm a fan of the Sutton summerweight chinos (other than having to take the waist in...stupid butt).

        Comment


          Originally posted by Cfred371 View Post
          [MENTION=9263]PREID[/MENTION] Thanks! Ordered the large, as the medium was out, but that sounds perfect. I'm probably a 42 ish.
          The large should be spot on. I wish I wasn't so tall-I can never wear those S/M/L-sized jackets

          Comment


            Does anyone know of any trunk shows in Washington D.C.?

            Comment


              I bought these Strands (see three pictures) from Nordstrom. The leather near the laces on left shoe doesn't look great, but I'm wondering if it's worth mailing back to exchange (I know it's free returns, but might the next pair have slight imperfections somewhere else?). People have told me it's not really noticeable, especially with pant legs, but when I opened the box, I noticed right away. I've never had AEs before (so excited!) so I'm not sure if this is "2nds quality" or if this is normal and I should keep them?



              Comment


                I remember seeing on the main page a couple weeks ago that AE seconds were available to purchase online (and not have to call/email). Are they still? I can't seem to find it anywhere and the old Shoebank site still seems operational.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by phatte View Post
                  I remember seeing on the main page a couple weeks ago that AE seconds were available to purchase online (and not have to call/email). Are they still? I can't seem to find it anywhere and the old Shoebank site still seems operational.
                  Sometimes the main AE site puts their seconds on sale on their regular site. It only happens a few times a year and it is not commonplace. If you want 2nds, your best bet is shoebank.com and going thru the call/email process.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by sskim3 View Post
                    Sometimes the main AE site puts their seconds on sale on their regular site. It only happens a few times a year and it is not commonplace. If you want 2nds, your best bet is shoebank.com and going thru the call/email process.
                    So the "clearance" items on the main AE site are seconds? That's quite a large selection.

                    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline..._subcategory__

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
                      So the "clearance" items on the main AE site are seconds? That's quite a large selection.

                      http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline..._subcategory__
                      No - for both first and seconds, AE distinguishes between "closeout styles" (generally models or colors they aren't making any more) and "current styles". The closeout/clearance styles are cheaper, and generally a style that is both a closeout *and* a factory second can be quite a good deal.

                      Just to add my two cents, although Joe on the main site always labels buying AE seconds as a "gamble", I have yet to receive a pair where I could tell why they were seconds. And twice I've returned pairs (only for fit, not quality), and neither time have I been charged the $10 restocking fee. So for me, it's been a great way to get quality shoes without paying as much.

                      Comment


                        And to add to everybody's contribution, that seconds sale on allenedmonds.com a bunch of weeks ago used a special temporary sale section that was only for seconds. Otherwise, you can only get seconds from shoebank.com or from the outlet stores.

                        Comment


                          Someone had a post about corduroys and that got me thinking about cords, how much I loved them before I knew more about clothes, and many other things.
                          Question(s): Where is a good place to buy corduroys? I like a bit of taper at the ankle and it seems all the cords I ever see are straight legged.

                          2nd question: What do you wear with your corduroys, if you wear them at all? My sister gives me flack for wearing cords and sees them as about as acceptable as sweatpants to wear outside of the house. Does anyone wear corduroys with a sportcoat? I've never had a pair since graduating college, possibly high school, so I wanted to hear what people thought.
                          Thanks!

                          Edit: Also I'm aware that the amount of whales on a pair of pants effects whether the material is more formal.
                          Last edited by Cfred371; August 11, 2015, 02:38 PM. Reason: To add what I already know.

                          Comment


                            Just found this place -- I need some advice, and have no idea where to start.

                            Wedding this weekend (of course, it's always last minute). Wearing light grey windowpane slacks. AE Strands in walnut with matching belt. What kind of jacket do I wear? I need to buy one (all I have are suit jackets and none of them are appropriate). Wedding is not formal at all.

                            Will be going to Nordstrom Rack, Jos A Bank (I know, but...). Would like to keep the price under $200.

                            I've been told no jacket (but the wedding is in SF, I think I need one if nothign else to offer to my wife).

                            I've been told to wear a navy blazer.

                            Are there any other options? Help me Obi-Wan(s), you're my only hope.

                            Comment


                              Solid navy would be the safest. It’s a classic and will match a patterned trouser. Avoid brass buttons if you can.

                              Comment


                                I'm getting some formal wear stuff together, and I'm not into the whole tux thing... Can anyone give me a fair review of this jacket? ASOS Skinny fit in velvet

                                http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Skinny-Fit-B...Wx2ZXQvcHJvZC8.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X