This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
    Could you post photos of the suit next to each pair of shoes?

If you hadn't just missed the sale, I'd say this was an opportunity to pick up a pair of bourbon or brown (or maybe chili, merlot or oxblood) Strands or McAllisters, so as to avoid the dilemma! ;-)
    I can't post a photo now since I'm traveling. I actually looked into getting a bourbon pair of Kenilworth seconds. I emailed the AE store and asked if the color matched and the guy told me flat out, "these are pretty bad." I thought his honesty was the greatest thing I've ever heard from a customer service person.

Comment

Originally posted by Boys Husky View Post
      I can't post a photo now since I'm traveling. I actually looked into getting a bourbon pair of Kenilworth seconds. I emailed the AE store and asked if the color matched and the guy told me flat out, "these are pretty bad." I thought his honesty was the greatest thing I've ever heard from a customer service person.
      That is good. I really appreciate it when sales associates do that. When I was shopping for my wedding suit and matching attire recently, the honesty of the sales associates at SuitSupply - who urged me not to buy a Sienna that I was considering but that they said didn't work well with my posture, and suggested instead a significantly cheaper Lazio that I ended up picking up - definitely played a part in my decision to go with them rather than J.Crew or Banana Republic. (The suit was nicer, too, of course!)

On another note, I'm not sure that a bourbon Kenilworth would go with a dark navy suit any better than walnut Strands. Although the color contrast would be slightly less, the Strand's a more formal design than the Kenilworth, and the formality of the design might make it more appropriate even despite the color.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
        Heel taps. A cobler (or yourself) can put them on. Cost me like $6 to get some put on. Feels weird in the beginning as most of the time they are plastic but it helps with wear.
        Perfect, thanks! I knew there was something like this, but just wasn't coming up with the right term.

Comment

Crease on no crease? What's the best style practice for pants these days especially tweed or other more textured materials, and chinos or cotton pants?

Comment

I wear cotton pants in the office so I go crease on some pairs. Chinos no crease. Heavier textured fabrics I try to keep a crease but sometimes it is tough with wool flannel.

Comment

I go crease on everything but chinos. For heavier fabrics, my understanding is that some folks get a crease sewn in ("military crease" I've heard it called), but that the technique can look a little odd with lighter fabrics.

Comment

I go crease on everything but chinos and denim. I like a good crease, and even go through that trouble with my linen pants that will lose it once I sit in my car!

Comment

I crease everything but chinos and jeans.

Comment

are there any charles tyrwhitt sales going on atm?

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                      are there any charles tyrwhitt sales going on atm?
                      I looked a couple of days ago for the $29 sale and couldn't find anything.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a loafer sock that doesn't slip? All of mine seem to slip off the back heel fairly easily. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Boys Husky View Post
                          Can anyone recommend a loafer sock that doesn't slip? All of mine seem to slip off the back heel fairly easily. Thanks in advance.
                          I just bought a solid grey pair from target recently, only tried them out once, but there was no slippage at all.

I believe it was this pair: http://www.target.com/p/men-s-2pk-no...term=men+socks

Comment

Can someone recommend a good place online to buy button-collar polo shirts or maybe even a nicer type of stronger collared polo style shirt to wear with a blazer? I've looked at the Uniqlo website, but they always seem to be out of my size. They rarely pop up on eBay either. Needs to be affordable, and at least Uniqlo quality if not better, and modern styled (preferably slim, no stretchy arm bands, etc.) Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jstephens View Post
                              C...or maybe even a nicer type of stronger collared polo style shirt to wear with a blazer? I've looked at the Uniqlo website, but they always seem to be out of my size. They rarely pop up on eBay either. Needs to be affordable, and at least Uniqlo quality if not better, and modern styled (preferably slim, no stretchy arm bands, etc.) Thanks.
                              You just described Kent Wang polos. I have two and plan to buy tons more.

Pro-tip: he advises sizing up, but I don't and love the fit. However, for the jersey polos (not pique polos) you may want to size up, as they both run smaller than the pique and shrink.

Comment

Originally posted by nova View Post
                                You just described Kent Wang polos. I have two and plan to buy tons more.

Pro-tip: he advises sizing up, but I don't and love the fit. However, for the jersey polos (not pique polos) you may want to size up, as they both run smaller than the pique and shrink.
                                damn both kent wang and uniqlo are all sold out in my size! (small)

Comment

Working...
                                X