Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've never understood how it's possible to always match shoes to watch strap. I own shoes in black, dark brown, light brown, dark reddish brown [mahogany], medium reddish brown, two shades of burgundy [one redder, one more purple], navy, and olive-green leather, and in chocolate, grey, and caramel suede. I own two leather watches (one with a dark brown strap, one with a light brown one). No doubt some people own more varieties of leather watch than they do leather shoe. In either case, you're sometimes going to want to wear a watch or shoe for which you just don't have the matching item.

I own six leather belts, so I can usually get close to matching with them, but the same problem crops up with the navy, grey, and green shoes.

Unless one's resources are unlimited, how is this avoidable?

Comment

• Originally posted by srlclark View Post
      I've never understood how it's possible to always match shoes to watch strap. I own shoes in black, dark brown, light brown, dark reddish brown [mahogany], medium reddish brown, two shades of burgundy [one redder, one more purple], navy, and olive-green leather, and in chocolate, grey, and caramel suede. I own two leather watches (one with a dark brown strap, one with a light brown one). No doubt some people own more varieties of leather watch than they do leather shoe. In either case, you're sometimes going to want to wear a watch or shoe for which you just don't have the matching item.

I own six leather belts, so I can usually get close to matching with them, but the same problem crops up with the navy, grey, and green shoes.

Unless one's resources are unlimited, how is this avoidable?
      i pretty much just have brown/black. really, any shade of brown goes with dark brown watch band. i do have a light brown for my walnut strands, but its not needed. having your own spring bar tool set helps for swapping bands around.

Comment

• I think it's more a matter of matching shades as Scofield has said. Imo, black leather should always be matched with black leather, but most shades of brown can be worn together.

Colours like green/navy/grey leather are more suited to be worn with brown than with black.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celimos View Post
          I think it's more a matter of matching shades as Scofield has said. Imo, black leather should always be matched with black leather, but most shades of brown can be worn together.

Colours like green/navy/grey leather are more suited to be worn with brown than with black.
          This is the camp I'm in as well.

Comment

• Anyone tried the Stafford Linen Cotton sportcoat?

Fully lined and 'classic fit', unfortunately. But today they are only $45 after 25% off with code MYFAMILY!

Comment

• [MENTION=13863]steu4718[/MENTION], here's a recent thread:

http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...on-Sport-Coats

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                [MENTION=13863]steu4718[/MENTION], here's a recent thread:

http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...on-Sport-Coats

Welcome to the forum!
                Thanks! I did a search, but didn't see that thread. I guess I didn't go far enough back. This is a pretty active forum!

Comment

• Can anyone recommend some good thrifting spots in the UK? I'll be in London, Oxford, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Inverness, Nairn, Skye, Mull, Oban, and Stratford-upon-Avon.

I'd love to find a nice Harris Tweed sport coat to commemorate the trip. Not interested in shoes or other clothes, but I'm aways on the lookout for a classic olive quilted jacket.

Much appreciated!

Comment

• I haven't shopped at any of these locations myself, but I did come across this link this morning. Hope it helps: http://www.fashionbeans.com/2015/pre...ignment-sites/

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                      Can anyone recommend some good thrifting spots in the UK? I'll be in London, Oxford, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Inverness, Nairn, Skye, Mull, Oban, and Stratford-upon-Avon.

I'd love to find a nice Harris Tweed sport coat to commemorate the trip. Not interested in shoes or other clothes, but I'm aways on the lookout for a classic olive quilted jacket.

Much appreciated!
                      Are you looking for tweed or quilted??

I'm not going to be much help on the thrifting locations, although with a trip to London planned in the fall would love to see the other suggestions. I will say that I currently use my father's tweed jacket he bought more than 30 years ago. Which either suggests that a second hand version will have plenty of life left in it, or that buying a new one will not be money thrown away as it should last for decades.

Comment

• Should have been more clear; I'm looking for both a tweed sport coat and an olive quilted jacket.

Comment

• I have a pair of AE Macneils (which I really love) that I've had only since August, and they already have significant wear in the heel. In one spot the rubber layer has worn almost down to where the heel starts to be a different material (leather?). Short of getting a new heel at a cobbler (or sending them back to AE for recrafting which would be overkill at this point given their light wear otherwise), is there any way to protect the heel from further wear? Some sort of plate or something one could put on there?

I walk to work every day (about 1.5 miles round trip) and wear these once or twice a week, so I'll continue to get some wear unless I do something about this. (Well, I'll continue to get wear either way, but I don't want to ruin the rest of the heel.)

Comment

• Originally posted by ELNJ View Post
                            I have a pair of AE Macneils (which I really love) that I've had only since August, and they already have significant wear in the heel. In one spot the rubber layer has worn almost down to where the heel starts to be a different material (leather?). Short of getting a new heel at a cobbler (or sending them back to AE for recrafting which would be overkill at this point given their light wear otherwise), is there any way to protect the heel from further wear? Some sort of plate or something one could put on there?

I walk to work every day (about 1.5 miles round trip) and wear these once or twice a week, so I'll continue to get some wear unless I do something about this. (Well, I'll continue to get wear either way, but I don't want to ruin the rest of the heel.)
                            Heel taps. A cobler (or yourself) can put them on. Cost me like $6 to get some put on. Feels weird in the beginning as most of the time they are plastic but it helps with wear.

Comment

• Should I get the Orient Ray in blue or black? I love the brilliance of the blue, but the black would go better with the bond NATO strap I have. I have several navy NATOs and a few brown leather bands. I only have a navy suit and most of my dress shoes are brown. So torn

Comment

• Originally posted by firemunkee View Post
                                Should I get the Orient Ray in blue or black? I love the brilliance of the blue, but the black would go better with the bond NATO strap I have. I have several navy NATOs and a few brown leather bands. I only have a navy suit and most of my dress shoes are brown. So torn
                                So your only reason for getting the black is because of the NATO? If I understand that correctly, why not get the blue and pick up a NATO for it?

Comment

Working...
                                X