This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BoGeen View Post
    Out of curiosity, do most of you guys limit yourselves to the cost of the jacket when it comes to tailoring costs or for inexpensive things do you sometimes spend a little more than what you paid for the jacket?
    I don't think about it that way. The relative cost of the piece to tailoring doesn't matter, just the total cost of piece + tailoring when compared to the alternative(s).

If I buy a thrift store jacket I really like that almost but not quite fits and spend twice the price of the jacket to get the fit just right, more often than not I'm happier than if I'd spent the same total price to by a brand new jacket that fits okay OTR.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoGeen View Post
      Out of curiosity, do most of you guys limit yourselves to the cost of the jacket when it comes to tailoring costs or for inexpensive things do you sometimes spend a little more than what you paid for the jacket?
      The best way is to create a budget for an item that includes tailoring. So if you have $300 for a jacket, then you have several options. If you are lucky, then all the jackets you want, won't need tailoring (not going to happen). I think though, even if I got a $20 jacket second hand, I wouldn't spend $280 tailoring it.

Comment

• is it good/bad/doesnt matter if i keep the timer on an automatic chronograph watch running non stop? it just really annoys me having the seconds hand staying flat at the 12 o clock position

Comment

• thoughts on wearing regular brown leather (belt/watch strap) with walnut strands?

Comment

• It could cause unnecessary wear to the chronograph function since it is running all the time. May need serviced sooner. As for the belt/shoes, I do this with my Daltons.

Comment

• is this kind of creasing, ON the perforations of the right cap toe normal? doesn't happen on the left shoe (didn't happen on the right shoe of the previous pair i had to return for being defective as well)

http://i.imgur.com/b9Ig6EA.jpg?1
              Last edited by bjmcgeever; April 7th, 2015, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Based on what I'm seeing on my AE shoes, I'd say that's normal. How long have you been wearing them?

Comment

• Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  Based on what I'm seeing on my AE shoes, I'd say that's normal. How long have you been wearing them?
                  this is after 4 wears.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                    this is after 4 wears.
                    I would say yes. It looks like a normal crease to me. The creasing isn't symmetric, but I doubt your feet are symmetric or the shoes either for that matter.

Comment

• Doesn't look strange. Granted, I have several pairs of AE's that don't have hardly any visible creasing in them after dozens of wears, and then I have a couple of pairs that creased super hard right out of the box on the first wear. The one that drives me a little nuts are my AE Players. One shoe is creased all to hell and the other one didn't really crease much at all.

Comment

• Anyone privy to when Combatant Gentleman will be restocking sizes?

Comment

• Looking to get new penny loafers that would be versatile enough to wear with blazer/chinos or jeans or even shorts. Which one of these would be better?

Allen Edmonds Cavanaugh
                          http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/w...-1?style=50021

Allen Edmonds Patriot
                          http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/w..._-1?style=4946

Comment

• Originally posted by goodwillhinton View Post
                            Looking to get new penny loafers that would be versatile enough to wear with blazer/chinos or jeans or even shorts. Which one of these would be better?

Allen Edmonds Cavanaugh
                            http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/w...-1?style=50021

Allen Edmonds Patriot
                            http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/w..._-1?style=4946
                            Patriot for me. I personally like the look of the Westchester, but it is discontinued. Sometimes the pop up on the shoebank or elsewhere.

It's got the shape of a Grayson without the tassle.

They are sleeker than the other two you mentioned, and in my opinion, they look great with trousers, chinos, and jeans. A versatile shoe. Not sure why they discontinued them.

Comment

• Are you paying full price for the AEs or some sort of discounted price? The reason I ask is other brands come into play as well such as Quoddy and Rancourt. I like the beef roll of Rancourt loafers personally. If I had to choose between those two it would be the cavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                                Are you paying full price for the AEs or some sort of discounted price? The reason I ask is other brands come into play as well such as Quoddy and Rancourt. I like the beef roll of Rancourt loafers personally. If I had to choose between those two it would be the cavanaugh
                                I'm going to buy seconds from Shoebank.com.

Comment

Working...
                                X