Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a quick question, get an answer

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Alteration dumbness question - the linen jcrew ludlow sportcoat is on sale today (https://www.jcrew.com/mens_sale_even...9119/B9119.jsp).

    I really want it but I'm between ludlow sizes (36R and 38R). Trying to debate which one would be better to buy and get altered.

    36R fits nice and tight in the shoulders, sleeve length is about a half-inch too short, and there's some minor "dreaded" x around the buttons. Waist/hips are great.

    38R fits a little loose on the shoulders (wearable, but I notice a very very minor diveting that probably is all in my head). Would need some waist suppression to feel less sack-like. Sleeves fit well.

    I know traditionally the advice would be shoulders first, but I've only ever had a jacket taken in - never let out like this and I'm not sure about it working out.

    Comment


      Depends on how much it needs to be let out. From personal experience, their jackets can be let out about 1/2 inch. That's all the extra material they include. If that's enough, great. If not, then you just can't wear J. Crew jackets. I'm in a similar boat and I find sizing down (getting the 36R) in SuitSupply to be a much better fit.

      Comment


        Hi, new to this forum. Had a quick question:

        I'm getting married in September this year. I have ruled out black tux for various reasons (including 5pm ceremony, outdoors warm and sunny, practicality). I was wondering if it would look weird if I wore a charcoal suit (possibly heathered wool or worsted wool charcoal ludlow) and my groomsmen all wear the same plain mid-grey suit? Would the different in color/texture/suits be weird?

        Comment


          Originally posted by Spencer Joseph Alexander View Post
          Hi, new to this forum. Had a quick question:

          I'm getting married in September this year. I have ruled out black tux for various reasons (including 5pm ceremony, outdoors warm and sunny, practicality). I was wondering if it would look weird if I wore a charcoal suit (possibly heathered wool or worsted wool charcoal ludlow) and my groomsmen all wear the same plain mid-grey suit? Would the different in color/texture/suits be weird?
          It will look fine for the groom to stand out in something different. I had a buddy do the same for his wedding.

          Comment


            I purchased a pair of AE Oxblood Carlyle, however i cant find a matching belt. AE only has the Sheridan belt in Oxblood and I think the picture on the website makes the belt look burgundy. I don't particularly care for the belt, do you guys know of any other options.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Supramanz View Post
              I purchased a pair of AE Oxblood Carlyle, however i cant find a matching belt. AE only has the Sheridan belt in Oxblood and I think the picture on the website makes the belt look burgundy. I don't particularly care for the belt, do you guys know of any other options.
              I ended up purchasing a burgundy/cordovan belt from amazon that was cheap and would tide me over as a match with my Oxblood Strands until I could find something better. There are some handmade oxblood colored belts on ebay that I think I'll be picking up to replace the cheap one. I think they'll be a good color match and they look nice enough - I think price is between $30-50.

              Comment


                Originally posted by drzenitram View Post
                I ended up purchasing a burgundy/cordovan belt from amazon that was cheap and would tide me over as a match with my Oxblood Strands until I could find something better. There are some handmade oxblood colored belts on ebay that I think I'll be picking up to replace the cheap one. I think they'll be a good color match and they look nice enough - I think price is between $30-50.
                What did you search on the bay? I couldn't find an oxblood belt for the life of me. I also couldn't find one on the web.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Spencer Joseph Alexander View Post
                  Hi, new to this forum. Had a quick question:

                  I'm getting married in September this year. I have ruled out black tux for various reasons (including 5pm ceremony, outdoors warm and sunny, practicality). I was wondering if it would look weird if I wore a charcoal suit (possibly heathered wool or worsted wool charcoal ludlow) and my groomsmen all wear the same plain mid-grey suit? Would the different in color/texture/suits be weird?
                  You could all wear different suits and it would still be fine. That is how people normally dress. It is only because it is expected, that we don't think that men wearing matching suits with matching accessories in colours like mint green or coral.

                  Comment


                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cristopher-H...item27f226d827

                    They're coming from the UK, so shipping might actually be a little bit... I'm not sure. I don't love the buckle, but these are the closest to color that I could find, and I figured I'd use AE oxblood polish on the belt if the color wasn't just right.

                    Comment


                      try orion leather

                      Comment


                        does the fit of ludlow suit/sportcoats equally the same with the thompson sportcoats?
                        i really like the fit of ludlow, but the nearst jcf is 50 miles from my house.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by sugarfree View Post
                          does the fit of ludlow suit/sportcoats equally the same with the thompson sportcoats?
                          i really like the fit of ludlow, but the nearst jcf is 50 miles from my house.
                          In my experience, they fit similarly enough that you should get the same size Ludlow as Thompson. Some people say they fit just the same, but I seem to hear more people say that the Thompson is just a touch roomier. I've tried on plenty of Thompsons, but not enough Ludlows to give you a more detailed answer than that. Also, be aware that different materials of the same cut will fit differently, so don't try on a fully lined tweed Ludlow and expect a half lined seersucker Thompson to fit the same. You might not need to size up or down, but it will drape differently. I'm sure you knew all that, but I don't want to assume.

                          Comment


                            Thanks Rocco!

                            Comment


                              Out of curiosity, do most of you guys limit yourselves to the cost of the jacket when it comes to tailoring costs or for inexpensive things do you sometimes spend a little more than what you paid for the jacket?

                              Comment


                                can anyone tell me if this material is twill?

                                http://custom.luxire.com/collections...te_herringbone

                                shirt arrived...and i honestly still cant tell

                                herringbone shirts tend to be twill...but are all herringbone shirts twill?
                                Last edited by Scofield; April 3, 2015, 04:36 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X