Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a quick question, get an answer

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    [MENTION=13408]edmunder[/MENTION] in my experience - yes. The sizing is the same. At least I have not run in to any issues.

    Comment


      Originally posted by edmunder View Post
      Thought I would ask here:

      In Ludlow J.Crew suiting I'm always a 36R, would that translate to a 36R in JCfactory? I'm really intrigued by that blue chino suit coat and other suitcoats, the prices are so low, but I'm pretty concerned about fit of course.

      Anyone else know the Jcrew to Jcrewfactory sizing differences, if there are any?
      In my experience everything at JCF is cut slightly roomier than their JC counterparts (but not a whole size), including the suit jackets. 36s at JC fits me perfectly but I had to size down to a 34s for a JCF jacket which ended up being right in the shoulders but a little too tight in the chest and waist so I just wear it unbuttoned.

      Comment


        Originally posted by sugarfree View Post
        Hi All!
        First time posting here.
        I never owned a blazer / sports jacket and i am thinking of getting one.
        Based on my research, i should go with a navy blazer (wool) since i can pair it with different outfits.
        I know my shirt size but i dont know what my size in blazer.
        According to this website, http://www.suitupp.com/pages/suit_sizing, i am a 40R (i'm 5'10, chest size between 39-40, waist is 32)
        What route should i go to? SHould i go to a store like men's wearhouse?
        Buy from store like BR or j crew and then have a tailor "trim" it for my size?
        Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
        Thanks!
        The thing is that you need more than just 2 measurements for a suit. Ideally you can go to a store and bring an expert with you and try on a bunch of jackets. As far as getting your measurements, I suggest going to a place where someone will measure you. Brooks Brothers will do this, and probably even some department stores.
        Personally, I have gotten all my jackets from thrift stores, and suggest you do the same. The good thing is that once you find a jacket that fits, you can measure it and use those measurements to find jackets online.

        Comment


          Thanks ryn!

          Comment


            Originally posted by sugarfree View Post
            Hi All!
            First time posting here.
            I never owned a blazer / sports jacket and i am thinking of getting one.
            Based on my research, i should go with a navy blazer (wool) since i can pair it with different outfits.
            I know my shirt size but i dont know what my size in blazer.
            According to this website, http://www.suitupp.com/pages/suit_sizing, i am a 40R (i'm 5'10, chest size between 39-40, waist is 32)
            What route should i go to? SHould i go to a store like men's wearhouse?
            Buy from store like BR or j crew and then have a tailor "trim" it for my size?
            Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
            Thanks!
            Most important measurement is the shoulders. You'll want to try jackets on, to get a feel for it, but the measurement from one side of your shoulders to the other side is the most important. Typically you'll want your suit jacket shoulder to be about 1" bigger than that, to allow room for the construction of the jacket and whatnot. There's some leeway and also it'll be a different number for different people, so don't take that as gospel.

            For your chest, whatever your chest measures you typically add 4" to it. So, if your chest measures 38" you want a jacket measuring 42". Yet again, there's leeway. Bear in mind this can be tailored down.

            Don't worry about the waist unless you have some extra weight, as that will almost certainly need to be taken in. Same with sleeves (unless your arms are long).

            For example, I have a 16.25" "yoke" measurement (shoulders) and a 39" chest, give or take. In suitsupply, their 36R (in York fit) has a 17.5" shoulder and a 41.5" chest. I know from experience that it fits me damn near perfect in-store. However, in Banana Republic, their 38S has the same measurements as the SuitSupply 36R.

            So, even when the sizes are quite literally based on the measurements of your body, there's still a LOT of leeway. I'm a 36R in SS but a 38S in BR. In italian brands, I would be a 48 or a 50, depending on brand, because they go by centimeters and also have practically anti vanity-sizing for some brands.

            Long post, but hopefully that helped.
            Last edited by nova; February 24, 2015, 02:17 PM. Reason: Forgot a line

            Comment


              And jacket sizes already add that allowance or similar...so do not size up by 4!

              Comment


                Originally posted by mattsteg View Post
                And jacket sizes already add that allowance or similar...so do not size up by 4!
                " <- means inches. We're saying the same thing. A size 38 jacket fits a 38" chest so is sized around 42". However, I was explaining that he wants to be looking for a jacket with a chest size 4" bigger than his and a shoulder size 1"-1.5" bigger than his, not necessarily the jacket size that matches his own. That's why I gave the example of Banana Republic jackets being 2 sizes smaller than Suit Supply jackets, and thus me needing a different size for each brand. I was just trying to stress the importance of getting accurate measurements of the jacket relative to one's own for best results when purchasing online.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by nova View Post
                  " <- means inches. We're saying the same thing. A size 38 jacket fits a 38" chest so is sized around 42". However, I was explaining that he wants to be looking for a jacket with a chest size 4" bigger than his and a shoulder size 1"-1.5" bigger than his, not necessarily the jacket size that matches his own. That's why I gave the example of Banana Republic jackets being 2 sizes smaller than Suit Supply jackets, and thus me needing a different size for each brand. I was just trying to stress the importance of getting accurate measurements of the jacket relative to one's own for best results when purchasing online.
                  I think [MENTION=12634]mattsteg[/MENTION] was simply cautioning that everyone should read your post carefully. You didn't say to get a size 42 jacket for a 38" chest (which would obviously be a disaster). But I'll confess that, on my first quick read, I thought you did. Hope no one makes the same mistake without re-reading!

                  Comment


                    Does anyone know what maker The Tie Bar uses to make their ties? I'm trying to get my hands on a few yards of their material for a project, but the folks at TTB can't hook me up directly.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by vespertiliovir View Post
                      I think [MENTION=12634]mattsteg[/MENTION] was simply cautioning that everyone should read your post carefully. You didn't say to get a size 42 jacket for a 38" chest (which would obviously be a disaster). But I'll confess that, on my first quick read, I thought you did. Hope no one makes the same mistake without re-reading!
                      Apologies! Definitely wasn't trying to call him out or anything. Just didn't want the OP of that question thinking that a blazer the size of his chest measurement was a sure thing

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by nova View Post
                        Apologies! Definitely wasn't trying to call him out or anything. Just didn't want the OP of that question thinking that a blazer the size of his chest measurement was a sure thing
                        sizing of tailored clothing is never a sure thing as it never tells the full story, although a thorough set of measurements from a garment can help if available (But buying off the rack this is unlikely).

                        And plenty of times, a given cut won'twon't fit right in any size - in which case move on to something else. Always be willing to give up on a jacket - don'tdon't force it.

                        Comment


                          Does anyone know anything about a "Burma" tie maker in China? Possibly one that makes some of the Stafford ties for JCP? I'm looking to find a few yards of the fabric there, and can't track them down online.

                          Comment


                            Would these shoes be summer appropriate? I would be getting the taupe color, and they would be worn with shorts.

                            http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/...-penny-loafers
                            Last edited by Rocco; March 18, 2015, 08:44 AM.

                            Comment


                              I wouldn't wear it in winter.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                                Would these shoes be summer appropriate? I would be getting the taupe color, and they would be worn with shorts.

                                http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/...-penny-loafers
                                There isn't another season I would wear those in, and I'd never wear them with socks.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X