Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have experience with Bonobos premium flatiron denim?

Comment

• Can anyone ID this duffel? I've seen it pop up on Nish de Gruiter's (Suitsupply) Instagram but can't figure out what it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boys Husky View Post
        Does anyone have experience with Bonobos premium flatiron denim?
        I was actually wondering about this too. I've been wanting to try a pair.

Comment

• Originally posted by rf01 View Post
          Can anyone ID this duffel? I've seen it pop up on Nish de Gruiter's (Suitsupply) Instagram but can't figure out what it is.

Comment

• Better of the two for black tie?

I have a black tie event coming up Saturday, and I have to choose which pair of black shoes I should wear.

The first option is a pair of Johnston and Murphy Melton cap toes:

The other option are my old military dress shoes: Bates patent leather, plain toe bluchers:

Technically the Meltons are the more formal as balmorals, but the plain-toe patent leather Bates appear a lot sleeker. Which of the two choices is the better option?

Comment

• I'd go with the latter. Patent leather plaintoes are going to look more natural than standard leather captoes, even if they are bluchers.

Besides, if it's good enough for military dress, it's good enough for anywhere. Military dress is appropriate even for white tie events after all.

Comment

• Put a good shine on the Meltons and wear them. The Bates look like a pair you'd get with a cheap tux rental. Sorry that sounds harsh, but its coming from a guy who also owns a pair of Bates! Why do you think the Bates look sleeker? I don't own the Meltons so can't compare, but I think the Bates are fairly clunky - not what I'd consider sleek...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonathan S View Post
                  I have a black tie event coming up Saturday, and I have to choose which pair of black shoes I should wear.

The other option are my old military dress shoes: Bates patent leather, plain toe bluchers:

Technically the Meltons are the more formal as balmorals, but the plain-toe patent leather Bates appear a lot sleeker. Which of the two choices is the better option?
                  So, you're wearing a tux or some other equally formal evening wear? You could probably get away with wearing your corframs if they're still serviceable and not super scuffed. Actually, if I were wearing a tux, I would probably break out my corframs and wear them with it. If it's just a black suit and tie, I'd put a good buff on the Meltons and spit polish the toe cap and heel and call that a day.

Comment

• I will be wearing a tux.

I had the corframs fixed up by a cobbler last year to remove the scuffs before a military wedding I attended. Other than a layer of dust, they still look good. Never got a lot of usage, even when I was on active duty in the 90s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonathan S View Post

I'd go for the Melton's myself. But then again I prefer some accenting on my shoes.

Comment

• Hi All!
                        First time posting here.
                        I never owned a blazer / sports jacket and i am thinking of getting one.
                        Based on my research, i should go with a navy blazer (wool) since i can pair it with different outfits.
                        I know my shirt size but i dont know what my size in blazer.
                        According to this website, http://www.suitupp.com/pages/suit_sizing, i am a 40R (i'm 5'10, chest size between 39-40, waist is 32)
                        What route should i go to? SHould i go to a store like men's wearhouse?
                        Buy from store like BR or j crew and then have a tailor "trim" it for my size?
                        Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
                        Thanks!

Comment

• [MENTION=13349]sugarfree[/MENTION] I'd be careful just ordering online until you've gone and tried on a few at a number of different places. I fit your build description and would be swimming in a 40R from Suitsupply. Even then fitting into a blazer or sportcoat is about a lot more than being too big or too small and generally you'll want to tailor as little as possible.

Personally I'd stay away from Men's Wearhouse as it feels a bit like going to a car dealership, but otherwise shop around. Go to the mall and try stuff on. Start off with something on the cheaper side like a JCF Thompson or somesuch, since with your first blazer inevitably there will be fit issues that reveal themselves with time and you'll understand what kind of details (armhole height, button placement, lapel width, pocket style, cuffs, etc.) you want on the next one.

Comment

• Thanks southy!
                            I appreciate your inputs.

Comment

• Get somewhere, preferably somewhere with multiple vendors, and try a bunch on. Some vendors' jackets fit me perfectly, others don't at all. My pocketbook would be healthier if some of those switched places. Read some "how to check the fit of a suit/sport jacket articles. Resolve not to buy right away, and get a feel for how things fit you. Hope the inexpensive stuff fits you well, or at least the in budget stuff. perfect is the enemy of very good.

Nail the fit and the rest is secondary.

Comment

• Thought I would ask here:

In Ludlow J.Crew suiting I'm always a 36R, would that translate to a 36R in JCfactory? I'm really intrigued by that blue chino suit coat and other suitcoats, the prices are so low, but I'm pretty concerned about fit of course.

Anyone else know the Jcrew to Jcrewfactory sizing differences, if there are any?

Comment

Working...
                                X