Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have thick legs due to years of sports and I'd like jeans that fit not too tight. I heard good things about Levis 508 but they're discountinued. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Originally posted by dondraper View Post
      I have thick legs due to years of sports and I'd like jeans that fit not too tight. I heard good things about Levis 508 but they're discountinued. Any suggestions?
      I would say try Levi's 541 athletic fit or 501 Original Fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by noyz View Post
        I would say try Levi's 541 athletic fit or 501 Original Fit.
        Seconding 501's. Best value I've found. YRMV, so obviously test drive a pair before stocking up.

Comment

• Originally posted by dondraper View Post
          I heard good things about Levis 508 but they're discountinued. Any suggestions?
          I know they're technically discontinued, but they still sell them online. I'd recommend Amazon (just bought a pair last month), but they definitely still have them at JCPenny, Macy's, etc. They're really not hard to find.

Comment

• Going to a concert later tonight. New Orleans brass band at a local bar. Most people will be casual, but I'd still like to look nice. Planning on wearing a pair of Navy Levi 508 chinos. What color casual button up goes best with the Navy pants?

Comment

• What's the best place to get a pair of low cost shoe trees? Best price I've found so far is Jos A Banks on sale for 18 bucks. At least, of the type I'm looking for, rather than the ones where the toe area looks like a soup can cut in half.

Also, for navy pants, you can go with a white, or a grey, or even a green or subdued red depending on what you want to do, and what type of place it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Domino View Post
                What's the best place to get a pair of low cost shoe trees? Best price I've found so far is Jos A Banks on sale for 18 bucks. At least, of the type I'm looking for, rather than the ones where the toe area looks like a soup can cut in half.

Also, for navy pants, you can go with a white, or a grey, or even a green or subdued red depending on what you want to do, and what type of place it is.
                If you are from the north east ocean state job lot. $4.50 close out prices.

Comment

• I am not. However, I could check out Ollie's or Big Lots, similar close out places. Thanks for the idea!

Though I'd still appreciate any other, more reliable options if people have them.

Comment

• I've used Men's Wearhouse BOGO sales to get 2/20$

Comment

• What type of belt would go well with dark brown suede Clark's desert boots?

Comment

• Originally posted by Domino View Post
                        What's the best place to get a pair of low cost shoe trees? Best price I've found so far is Jos A Banks on sale for 18 bucks. At least, of the type I'm looking for, rather than the ones where the toe area looks like a soup can cut in half.
                        I got mine a JAB for under $8. A couple times a year, they do a buy-one-get-two-free promo, either site wide or on accessories. That's the time to strike.

Comment

• Originally posted by Image of the Invisible View Post
                          Alright guys, question on blazers/suit jackets.

I'm 5'11, 170ish lbs, semi athletic build but I'm still on the "thin" side through the mid section. A 42R JCF Thompson fits nice in the shoulders, but the chest/lapels open up and fold when I spread my arms wide, making me think its just a little too tight through the chest. Yet the lower half of the jacket way too wide and needs to be taken in. Should I just deal with the chest opening when I open my arms since the shoulders are good?

Any solutions besides possibly going to a 44R and get it significantly tailored? Or are there any good jackets that aren't as wide throughout the body as through the chest?

Ugh the problems of having a 10-12 inch drop.........thanks guys
                          Your lapels opening up when you raise your arms wide is fine. I'm assuming you mean something like the "Christ the Redeemer" statue when you say wide. The thing is suit jackets and blazers are not made to be worn while doing things like signaling a touch down or busting out 20 pull ups. The most you should really be doing while wearing a jacket (unless you are James Bond) is shaking a hand or other gentlemenly things. Joe posted a couple of fit tests on the site a while back that may help you determine if the jacket fits you properly.

http://dappered.com/2013/05/5-clothi...y-should-know/

Comment

• I ordered a pair of J Crew killshots size 13 a week ago, and just got an email saying the expected ship date is now April 13. Is this date going to be accurate? If so, is it worth it to wait? I thought about biting the bullet and just buying the size 12s which are in stock, but I'm not sure if they'll fit. I wear a size 12 in Clark's but a size 13 pretty much everywhere else. Should I try to size down?

Comment

• I picked up a pair of second-hand Dalton's in a tan color (pretty close to their walnut but not quite). Is it possible to color these towards a burgundy/oxblood via dye, cream, or polish over time? Additionally, will the color be soaked in, or just a layer of color on top of the leather? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comment

• You can dye them, if you strip the old dye with acetone or a similar solvent, and then redye the leather. That's what dye is for, after all.

You might get some color change with cream or wax, but it will be a lot less, take longer, and superficial, and may not look as good. http://dappered.com/2012/10/the-sugg...ck-shoe-creme/ has an example of the kind of change you could expect.

The downside being that if you don't know what you're doing, you can also just plain ruin the boots trying to strip and dye it.

Comment

Working...
                                X