X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes.
    Ben

Comment

As long as we're asking for opinions around here, feel free to weigh in on this: http://www.flwoods.com/product/burgess-blazer

I am liking more every time I visit the site or Muffy. I wish I could try on in real life before deciding.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
        Yes.
        Ah ha! I thought they looked a little familiar. I would say they're a good purchase, then. The orange is good bold choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel
          Yes, you can see them tucked in a lot of photos of how men wore them in the 60s. That would be a very classically Ivy look thing to do.
          Good to know, thanks.

Comment

All right, I've got a quick question. I've been keeping an eye out for a piece of lightweight outerwear. Something windbreaker-y (in terms of function, if not necessarily style). The kind of thing to throw on when it's 65 and a bit breezy and just a shirt isn't quite going to cut it, or when it's warm during the day but you know the temps are going to drop at night.

Right now I'm tempted by these, which are on sale:
            $200 on sale.
            Ben, that's a lot of money for a jacket that looks like a children's fireman costume. I think that you can find something more flattering for far less. A lightweight cotton harrington, bomber, or field jacket would do the trick.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good quality burgundy long wing for around 150? I like the jcrew longwing, but can't justify the $318.

Comment

Originally posted by skgarach View Post
                Can anyone recommend a good quality burgundy long wing for around 150? I like the jcrew longwing, but can't justify the $318.
                Best bet at that price would be the Florsheim Veblen in the wine color or the Haviland, though I'm not sure if that one comes in a similar burgundy color. Check eBay, there's a couple of sizes of the Veblen going for around $125. I saw that J. Crew longwing in store a couple weekends ago and was not impressed by the leather, not for that price anyway.

Comment

$200 on sale. Not the best price ever but I recently got a $500 bonus at work (for no discernible reason) so I'm itching to burn a chunk of it on something.
                  Fiiiiiiinnnee leatthaahh gooods.

On topic, I kind of like the orange as well since you're looking for casual. It's a nice change up from the usual Barbour look. The sky blue doesn't speak to me and the brown is neutral per your statements above.

Comment

Originally posted by Teej View Post

I guess that sparks a question for me then. Any brand or store that you guys recommend for getting decent leather belts? I'm looking in the 50-100 range but I'd prefer to stay under 75.
                    Rancourt makes excellent chromexcel belts for $105. I can't say enough good things about them. They also sell shell cordovan belts if you're willing to pay more

Comment

Do you have any luck with in-between length shirts that work tucked and untucked?

I have pretty much given up on this off the rack but am considering trying with a new order from Proper Cloth. My first order was perfectly long and awesome for tucking only which is fine. The next one I was looking at is a Navyish Oxford cloth

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                        I'm confused by your use of business casual here, but if you're normally wearing a sporcoat for work the topcoat is much easier to dress down to something like an OCBD, lambswool sweater, and dark denim or chinos than the car coat is to dress up. At the most basic level, the dimensions of the topcoat are designed with a jacket of some sort underneath it in mind (shoulders and length in particular), whereas the carcoat isn't and to accommodate it you'd likely have to size up lest you totally wrinkle what you're wearing. And while I've mostly seen this done by Hollywood sorts, you can definitely do a topcoat, t-shirt, jeans, and boots if you have the physique for it (and if the weather somehow makes sense for that).
                        Thanks. I don't wear sportcoats to work. I am thinking the J Crew University coat is a better call for me

Comment

I tend to buy every button-up shirt to tuck. I only go untucked with t-shirts and polos.

Originally posted by sean_anon View Post
                          Do you have any luck with in-between length shirts that work tucked and untucked?

I have pretty much given up on this off the rack but am considering trying with a new order from Proper Cloth. My first order was perfectly long and awesome for tucking only which is fine. The next one I was looking at is a Navyish Oxford cloth

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
                            Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I have been looking at the AE shoebanks list of belts... anyone ever order a belt from them?
                            I own 5 or 6 belts from Allen Edmonds and I love them. I wear them all the time too although they aren't that old yet.

All right, I've got a quick question. I've been keeping an eye out for a piece of lightweight outerwear. Something windbreaker-y (in terms of function, if not necessarily style). The kind of thing to throw on when it's 65 and a bit breezy and just a shirt isn't quite going to cut it, or when it's warm during the day but you know the temps are going to drop at night.

Right now I'm tempted by these, which are on sale:

Opinions?
                            I am not a huge fan of any of those options. I'd probably choose like a windbreaker style or a barracuda style jacket. To each their own though.

Comment

Well, I guess it's kind of a big fuck-you to [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION] for his question on the Burgess Blazer, so maybe how about if I ask you about this: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

I'm quite taken by the partial linen weave and the military look.

There is this on sale: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

The sale section has a number of good-looking shirts on sale, come to think of it.

Comment

You did get quite a bit of feedback on the Burgess jacket in the thread you started about it....

Personally I'm not crazy about those shirts. Certainly not at full price ($125) or even the sale price ($90). Ask me again if they're $30 or less. The colors are rather bland and I can't tell if they have collar stays - I hate shirts that don't have collar stays and don't button down.
                                Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X