Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to get a pair of unhemmed chinos hemmed tomorrow, how big of a hemline (I think that is the proper term) should I ask for? 1/2"? 1"? Thanks.

Comment

• [MENTION=12501]unnamedplayer[/MENTION], I guess I have never thought about this. The hem at the bottom of jeans and chinos seems pretty consistent. When I bring pants to my tailor to hem, she just makes the hem standard (on things like jeans and chinos).
      "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

• Originally posted by greg_s View Post
        [MENTION=12501]unnamedplayer[/MENTION], I guess I have never thought about this. The hem at the bottom of jeans and chinos seems pretty consistent. When I bring pants to my tailor to hem, she just makes the hem standard (on things like jeans and chinos).
        I never really thought about it too. The reason I ask is that I took a pair to get hemmed a few weeks ago and did not ask for a specific size. Ended up getting them back with a half inch hemline. I checked some BR chinos I own and they are 1 inch. So didnt really know what is a better length.

Comment

• Currently have black Park Aves, brown Fifth Aves, and Walnut Strands. Best option to round out the lineup? Largely business-dress environment, but in search of something that can be dressed down a bit as well. Can a blucher be paired with a suit? If so, I'm thinking some kind of blucher-laced, wingtip. Any thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by allmodcons View Post
            Currently have black Park Aves, brown Fifth Aves, and Walnut Strands. Best option to round out the lineup? Largely business-dress environment, but in search of something that can be dressed down a bit as well. Can a blucher be paired with a suit? If so, I'm thinking some kind of blucher-laced, wingtip. Any thoughts?
            Depends on how much you care about looking like you care. Honestly I think if the shoe's fairly formal you're fine. Just make sure its closed-laces for your funeral. Otherwise it sounds like you're missing a wingtip so are on the right track. Specifically, this is what I'd go for:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...000001_-1_4554

Although its not necessarily that versatile if you want to dress it down a bit.

Comment

• Does anyone have any experience with J. Crew Factory jeans? Need a staple dark jean and was looking at the Sutton, but I'm wondering how heavy these jeans are? I tried to contact JCF and they told me:

I was able to confirm with our Brand Team that the Factory Sutton Jean weighs 1 lb 5 oz and 8 grams.
              Not sure what that means exactly. I was trying to find out is it heavy denim (>12 oz) medium weight (10-12 oz), etc. Anyone got any experience?

Comment

• Originally posted by unnamedplayer View Post
                Does anyone have any experience with J. Crew Factory jeans? Need a staple dark jean and was looking at the Sutton, but I'm wondering how heavy these jeans are? I tried to contact JCF and they told me:

Not sure what that means exactly. I was trying to find out is it heavy denim (>12 oz) medium weight (10-12 oz), etc. Anyone got any experience?
                I can't comment on JCF jeans, as I haven't tried them, but have you considered Uniqlo? They were just on sale, may still be. I think they're about 12oz, and on par or better than Levi's.

Comment

• Originally posted by roostertail View Post
                  I can't comment on JCF jeans, as I haven't tried them, but have you considered Uniqlo? They were just on sale, may still be. I think they're about 12oz, and on par or better than Levi's.
                  Yup, I thought about them. My concern is the rise. I think Uniqlos are on the lower end at least from what I remember of looking at their sizing charts.

I think I have a very picky preference in rise. I don't want something really low, yet I don't want a very high rise either. A nice medium rise I think works well. Something like 10 or 10.25'' on a 30'' waist.

Comment

• Anyone have any suggestions on which AE shoe polish would go best with their cognac shoes? Picked up a pair of Rapid City shoes in cognac dublin off the AE shoebank, but there's no corresponding cognac shoe polish available, so I'm at a loss here.

Comment

• Can anyone speak to the sizing of J.Crew Factory's Thompson suit pants? I normally wear a 34/30, and ordered that size of this pant and they're VERY loose in the waist and crotch.

I'm going to return them for the same style in the slim option, but should I go with a different size? 33/30 or even 32/30 perhaps?

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Comment

• Sorry to tack on another question while we got a couple that still need answers, but this just popped into my head. What wrist should you wear your watch on? When I was a kid I always wore it on my right (I am left handed). I haven't worn one in years and am thinking of starting to again, but I see a lot of menswear sites with pictures of the watch on the left arm. I just thought I'd see what the consensus was before committing a fashion faux paus.

Comment

• Originally posted by unnamedplayer View Post
                          Sorry to tack on another question while we got a couple that still need answers, but this just popped into my head. What wrist should you wear your watch on? When I was a kid I always wore it on my right (I am left handed). I haven't worn one in years and am thinking of starting to again, but I see a lot of menswear sites with pictures of the watch on the left arm. I just thought I'd see what the consensus was before committing a fashion faux paus.
                          that's because the majority of the population is right handed....if you're left handed wear it on the right. unless of course, it doesn't get in your way on the left AND you really want to conform to the majority...then feel free to wear it on the left.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                            that's because the majority of the population is right handed....if you're left handed wear it on the right. unless of course, it doesn't get in your way on the left AND you really want to conform to the majority...then feel free to wear it on the left.
                            That's what I thought. Thanks for cofirming!

Comment

• If I ordered a ledbury shirt, size 15 neck 33 sleeves and had the sleeves shorted 2 inches and it fits perfectly, if I order the same shirt (different color) size 15 neck 34 sleeves and shorten it 3 inches (instead of 2, since 33 sleeve is sold out), will the 2 shirts fit pretty much the same?

Comment

• What is this shoe footbed and how does it affect comfort over time?

I ordered a total of 4 pairs of shoes from yoox (Gradus, Devon and then Thompson, Borgo Mediceo). The first 2 I sent back because of fit. The other 2 are more or less fine fitwise. However, in these 2 and the 2 before, there is no insole in the front of the shoe. I can't imagine that whoever made the shoes are skimping on half an insole so why is it like this and how does it affect comfort over time? Just wearing it in the house is not necessarily uncomfortable but I'm wondering about walking in it for a day. In one shoe the footbed is high on the outside of the big toe so I can feel it so may have to send that one back regardless. I remember when I tried on the AE Park Ave the insole felt hard but I think there was still a leather insole in there. Here's a link to a pic so you can see what I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                X