This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TartanMan View Post
    Quick question about the J. Crew Factory Thompson Sportcoat in Herringbone. It's on sale right now for $108.50 and I'd really like to pick it up, but I want to know if this is a good price now or if it's possible it'll go on sale for less in the relatively near future. I've never shopped with them before so I'm not very familiar with how low they'll go on these types of things. Thanks.
    for jcf, there are two types of sales, price as marked and code for a % off. right now through the 1st it's an as marked sale. if the next sale, starting mon at midnight, is a %off code, it will cross over with the as marked code bc it takes a while for them to change the prices. so i'd wait until mon night, check to see if there's a code, buy it then.

Comment

Originally posted by TartanMan View Post
      Quick question about the J. Crew Factory Thompson Sportcoat in Herringbone. It's on sale right now for $108.50 and I'd really like to pick it up, but I want to know if this is a good price now or if it's possible it'll go on sale for less in the relatively near future. I've never shopped with them before so I'm not very familiar with how low they'll go on these types of things. Thanks.
      ~$100 isn't bad. It will probably drop lower, but might be out of your size or be past a big chunk of the season (i.e. sale price in December or January) when it can be worn. Figure out if it's worth hoping and waiting in exchange for maybe saving $15-$20.

Comment

Maybe you guys can talk me out of a purchase. I've already got a navy structured cotton sport coat; would an unstructured version be redundant? I'm not sure if buying one would really be filling a gap or if it's just me starting to prefer the vibe of an unstructured jacket.

If anything, I'm starting to feel the structured jacket is an unnecessary middle ground between unstructured cotton (casual) and structured wool (work).

Comment

Originally posted by MoodyRoger1047 View Post
          Maybe you guys can talk me out of a purchase. I've already got a navy structured cotton sport coat; would an unstructured version be redundant? I'm not sure if buying one would really be filling a gap or if it's just me starting to prefer the vibe of an unstructured jacket.

If anything, I'm starting to feel the structured jacket is an unnecessary middle ground between unstructured cotton (casual) and structured wool (work).
          If you aren't replacing one of the two it sounds like you already own, it's a frivolous purchase. This doesn't make it a wrong decision, just a decision that isn't "helping" because now you'll have three navy blazers, where two would do the same exact work required. Either replace one or look into a different unstructured jacket is my advice.

Comment

Two questions about this jacket, which I'm very tempted by:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=190111002

1. It only comes in chest sizes, but not lengths. I normally wear 42L, but presumably the 42 listed here would be something like a 42R. In general, is it possible to *lengthen* blazer sleeves a bit and still have it look OK?

2. Does anyone have experience with the quality of "Made exclusively for Factory Stores" items from BR? I have that question not only about this jacket, but about the Aiden chinos that they also have listed on the site.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Comment

A quick addition to my own question here - a little more reading suggests that a bit of sleeve lengthening is generally straightforward (assuming non-working buttons), but that with cotton it's harder to get rid of the crease than with wool. So any thoughts from someone who has tried this with a cotton jacket would be appreciated. The jacket in question here (Banana Republic Factory Grey Donegal Blazer) is 100% cotton.

Comment

Are Versace ties any special deal? I found one at the local thrift store (navy, tiny polka dot) for 7 bucks, and I could use it even if it were made by Bob's Tie and Screen Door Repair. But am I getting a great deal, or just a plain old tie?

This assumes that it's legit, and not a knockoff.

Comment

I've done November weddings. I've done beach weddings. I've just been invited to a wedding on the beach.....in November.

Any suggestions for something appropriate for the weather and the venue? Is it even possible?

I guess I should stipulate east coast weekend after thanksgiving. Could be 60, could be snowing.

thanks

Comment

Quick Question:
                    Any thoughts on good undershirt options? I don't really want to move out of the "budget" price range for something like undershirts, so under $10 / shirt. My frame of reference is Alfani slim undershirts from Macy's and the Nordstrom house brand slims.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Sprnova23 View Post
                      Quick Question:
                      Any thoughts on good undershirt options? I don't really want to move out of the "budget" price range for something like undershirts, so under $10 / shirt. My frame of reference is Alfani slim undershirts from Macy's and the Nordstrom house brand slims.

Thanks in advance!
                      Grey Uniqlo Supima Cotton V-Neck Undershirts, $9.90 for 2 right now (usually $12.90) http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men...supima-cotton/ Some have advocated for Airism as well, and they are nice in hot weather, but I prefer a cotton over synthetic feel. But it depends on location and preference.

Note that the Supima Cotton run a little short so if you are a tall-ish fellow, they might not work for you. A Medium fits my 5'9" frame very well.
                      "Tempus Fugit"

Comment

Many of my dress shirts have the lowest front buttonhole cut horizontally instead of vertically. Is there a purpose for this, other than making the last button harder to button?

Comment

Presumably because the other buttons are at or above your waist, where there is little horizontal stress against the buttons, whereas the bottom button is at or below your waist, where there is horizontal stress due to the movement of your hips and legs. A button is less likely to undo itself from horizontally-oriented buttonhole when it is under horizontally-oriented stress.
                          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Sudonihm View Post
                            Grey Uniqlo Supima Cotton V-Neck Undershirts, $9.90 for 2 right now (usually $12.90) http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men...supima-cotton/ Some have advocated for Airism as well, and they are nice in hot weather, but I prefer a cotton over synthetic feel. But it depends on location and preference.
                            Thanks for the suggestions - too bad they are completely out of stock of medium grey v-necks in both of their cotton styles. Do you know if they re-stock basics like this regularly?

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                              Presumably because the other buttons are at or above your waist, where there is little horizontal stress against the buttons, whereas the bottom button is at or below your waist, where there is horizontal stress due to the movement of your hips and legs. A button is less likely to undo itself from horizontally-oriented buttonhole when it is under horizontally-oriented stress.
                              I think this is right...same principle, but I also think it makes the bottom button less likely to come undone when you have to move/untuck your shirt to use the restroom.

Comment

Originally posted by ELNJ View Post
                                Thanks for the suggestions - too bad they are completely out of stock of medium grey v-necks in both of their cotton styles. Do you know if they re-stock basics like this regularly?
                                They restock them frequently. But it may be after the price goes back to 12.90.
                                "Tempus Fugit"

Comment

Working...
                                X