• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet, thanks

Comment

Any opinions on this jacket?

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_392074

52% silk / 48% wool.

For context, I currently own essentially no blazers / sportcoats - I have a couple of suit jackets that could pass in a pinch. I'm just starting to try to up my game a bit and wear a coat more often. I teach at a small college, so essentially anything goes for work dress (except super-dressy). Wearing a coat at all puts me on the dressier end of the spectrum. I'm looking to start with some inexpensive (but hopefully decent quality, decent looking) jackets while I'm figuring out what I really like, so this is a candidate. Thanks for any thoughts, and/or suggestions about other options to consider.

Comment

I'm hoping you guys will be able to offer insight or some of you are also searching for this as well for the upcoming winter: Which U.S. websites offer 100% authentic wool tweed pants (Harris comes to mind, but doesn't have to be this specific brand) in preferably a windowpane pattern? I've come across a few websites, but they're all (not surprisingly) UK websites:

fifecountry.co.uk
        walkerslater.co.uk
        ewm.co.uk
        harristweedshop.co.uk

I'm hoping to avoid high international shipping rates (40+ British Pounds in some cases) by finding a US online retailer. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by ELNJ View Post

52% silk / 48% wool.
          I'd have to say no to this one due to the silk/wool combo making it look like a suit jacket and awfully shiny. Try to avoid or at least minimize the silk content to keep it more casual-looking. For affordable retail options, keep looking at JAB, Lands End, BR, and JCrew. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc999 View Post
            I'm hoping you guys will be able to offer insight or some of you are also searching for this as well for the upcoming winter: Which U.S. websites offer 100% authentic wool tweed pants (Harris comes to mind, but doesn't have to be this specific brand) in preferably a windowpane pattern? I've come across a few websites, but they're all (not surprisingly) UK websites:

fifecountry.co.uk
            walkerslater.co.uk
            ewm.co.uk
            harristweedshop.co.uk

I'm hoping to avoid high international shipping rates (40+ British Pounds in some cases) by finding a US online retailer. I look forward to hearing your responses.
            J crew may release some, but they'll likely be as part of a suit, and thus be wayyyy too expensive. Brooks Brothers and J Press may have some. Also check out Howard Yount and Kent Wang.

Comment

Originally posted by ELNJ View Post

52% silk / 48% wool.

For context, I currently own essentially no blazers / sportcoats - I have a couple of suit jackets that could pass in a pinch. I'm just starting to try to up my game a bit and wear a coat more often. I teach at a small college, so essentially anything goes for work dress (except super-dressy). Wearing a coat at all puts me on the dressier end of the spectrum. I'm looking to start with some inexpensive (but hopefully decent quality, decent looking) jackets while I'm figuring out what I really like, so this is a candidate. Thanks for any thoughts, and/or suggestions about other options to consider.
              I'll agree with the other guy that that particular jacket is too plain/shiny to be used as a separate, but I have a couple of JAB silk/wool sportcoats I got on massive clearance and I actually really like them. The fabric is usually pretty nice, and their fits have gotten much better recently.

EDIT: Looking more closely that could definitely be used as a sport coat in a business casual environment, it's a little much for jeans though.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                J crew may release some, but they'll likely be as part of a suit, and thus be wayyyy too expensive. Brooks Brothers and J Press may have some. Also check out Howard Yount and Kent Wang.
                Thank you for the brands. I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of Howard Yount and Kent Wang, but have heard of each. I should have specified in my OP, but the pricing from these UK sites runs roughly $130-$180 / pair, without shipping. BB or JPress I'm sure will charge $200+ / pair, so is it really an option of "2 nickels or 1 dime?", where the overall total is what it is ($200-250)?

Comment

Originally posted by Marc999 View Post
                  Thank you for the brands. I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of Howard Yount and Kent Wang, but have heard of each. I should have specified in my OP, but the pricing from these UK sites runs roughly $130-$180 / pair, without shipping. BB or JPress I'm sure will charge $200+ / pair, so is it really an option of "2 nickels or 1 dime?", where the overall total is what it is ($200-250)?
                  I would avoid Howard Yount only because it is very difficult to get in touch with Jameson if there is a problem. He sells great clothing at very competitive prices and many people order without issue. However, before ordering I strongly suggest checking out the Howard Yount affiliate thread on Style Forum. I own two pairs of pants from HY and love them, but I am on the fence about whether or not I would order from him again.

Epaulet NYC is also a potential source. They are by far my favorite source for pants. Either place will run you $150-$250 for a pair of pants though.
                  "Tempus Fugit"

Comment

Beckmans? If so, cigar color?
                    http://31.media.tumblr.com/a64edb9a7...pwho1_1280.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rlriii13 View Post
                      yes and yes! those pictured look amazing... it'll probably take a while for yours to look like that I'd imagine. I bought some iron rangers late last winter... after 40 or so wears, they still look pretty new.

Comment

Quick question fellas -

I am a theater performer and have been embracing the dappered lifestyle the past 6 months or so, and have gotten a reasonable amount of new duds. I have seen a lot regarding things to wear at the gym etc - but that doesn't fit for a few reasons: 1. Although most theater rehearsals are active, they don't require a lot of sweating 2. Most rehearsal facilities are not equipped for changing. My issue is though, is, I still want to look stylish but I can't be dressed too warmly and gym shoes or jazz shoes are often required for movement. Wearing gym shoes outside the gym isn't ideal, but are there any outfit ideas or pairings you think can look good in this scenario?

Comment

Originally posted by navidson View Post
                          Quick question fellas -

I am a theater performer and have been embracing the dappered lifestyle the past 6 months or so, and have gotten a reasonable amount of new duds. I have seen a lot regarding things to wear at the gym etc - but that doesn't fit for a few reasons: 1. Although most theater rehearsals are active, they don't require a lot of sweating 2. Most rehearsal facilities are not equipped for changing. My issue is though, is, I still want to look stylish but I can't be dressed too warmly and gym shoes or jazz shoes are often required for movement. Wearing gym shoes outside the gym isn't ideal, but are there any outfit ideas or pairings you think can look good in this scenario?
                          Change into the gym or jazz shoes for their functional purpose while there, change out after you're done. They'll last longer as a plus. Plain henley and some flat-front shorts or gym shorts if required. This is a situation for function over appearance, so you aren't exactly going to look "dapper", but you're wearing most of what you're wearing for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by JGL View Post
                            Incorrect. The act of trying things on doesn't usually cost a B&M retailer anything.
                            If you're talking about chain retailers, like BR or J Crew, there might be some leeway, but a small brick and mortar store does not have the same level of income stream that the big stores do. If you went to a high end shoe store like Leather Soul Hawaii, asked to try on a pair of $1500 John Lobb shoes and then walked out without purchasing you have just cost that store money. Why? Because you've wasted the sales person's time and you've put your disgusting feet in a pair of $1500 shoes, not to mention potentially wrinkling them in the process. These shoes are no longer 'brand new' and could've been sold to a paying customer who knows what they're doing. This practice of 'trying before buying' is ridiculous. I bit the bullet on all of my online shoe purchases and luckily got them all right.

Comment

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
                              If you're talking about chain retailers, like BR or J Crew, there might be some leeway, but a small brick and mortar store does not have the same level of income stream that the big stores do. If you went to a high end shoe store like Leather Soul Hawaii, asked to try on a pair of $1500 John Lobb shoes and then walked out without purchasing you have just cost that store money. Why? Because you've wasted the sales person's time and you've put your disgusting feet in a pair of $1500 shoes, not to mention potentially wrinkling them in the process. These shoes are no longer 'brand new' and could've been sold to a paying customer who knows what they're doing. This practice of 'trying before buying' is ridiculous. I bit the bullet on all of my online shoe purchases and luckily got them all right.
                              You are absolutely correct. However how many dappered readers are buying $1500 shoes at some boutique or even the same shoes for half the price elsewhere? I would guess few to none. You example is true, but I think you are reaching.

Comment

Quick question about the J. Crew Factory Thompson Sportcoat in Herringbone. It's on sale right now for $108.50 and I'd really like to pick it up, but I want to know if this is a good price now or if it's possible it'll go on sale for less in the relatively near future. I've never shopped with them before so I'm not very familiar with how low they'll go on these types of things. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X