This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
    if I were any of the above stores I would totally ban you. you're clearly abusing their free shipping and returns policy because you don't know what you're doing. this costs money and it's people like you that drive costs up for everyone. you're like the guy who goes into a brick and mortar store to try stuff on with no intention of buying, only to turn around and buy it someplace else that has the same item cheaper.
    Seriously? Especially for BR/ON/Gap, I can't shop in stores because they don't carry tall sizes. Their stuff is also pretty inconsistent in terms of sizing. Sometimes their 34 will fit me, other times I need a 35. The only way I can give them any business is to buy multiple sizes for home try-ons and return what doesn't fit. They're a big enough company to know people do this out of necessity.

A lot of companies (Zappos, for example) ENCOURAGE you to do this. Buy one or two pairs from Zappos, and they'll even make you a VIP (free next-day shipping).

These retailers aren't paying full-price for shipping and of course their regular prices are way marked up (who pays full price at BR?) which covers their shipping costs. Now maybe if someone bought 30 pairs of shoes or something else just completely ridiculous, then things would be different.

Comment

if I were any of the above stores I would totally ban you. you're clearly abusing their free shipping and returns policy because you don't know what you're doing. this costs money and it's people like you that drive costs up for everyone. you're like the guy who goes into a brick and mortar store to try stuff on with no intention of buying, only to turn around and buy it someplace else that has the same item cheaper.
      Thanks for your perspective. I definitely want to be mindful of the retailer and not take unfair advantage of their generous policy, but I think what I'm doing goes with the spirit of why they offer free shipping/returns so I don't feel bad. Just to clarify:

1. The fact that they offer free shipping/returns makes me more likely to shop with them/try new or risky things as opposed to other retailers who don't offer it.

2. The $50 threshold works in their favor every time I order something to get to $50 thinking I'll return it--only to change my mind and keep it after it arrives.

3. Altogether I've probably returned about 50% of the things I've ordered from them, but the other 50% that I keep is more than I would purchase from another retailer that didn't offer free shipping/returns.

Was just wondering if they have some sort of system that automatically flags you once you reach a certain amount of returns...but perhaps they have a smarter way of doing it like $ value of items returned / total $ value of items ordered. I would be fine with that.

Comment

Yikes. I do this all the time. You can't convince me I'm doing something morally wrong by using their own policy. And I am that guy who goes into the b&m just to try something on. It's not wrong; it's just smart. Why on earth would I not try something on before buying it?

Comment

[MENTION=11496]gaseousclay[/MENTION],

In my uneducated opinion (I don't work in retail), this actually makes sense to offer a free shipping / free return policy with an eye to a customer ordering several sizes of an item in order for them to find one that works. Not every online retailer with B&M locations have them dispersed equally throughout the country (LL Bean or Allen Edmonds for example would do me a big favor to have stores in Seattle). Even if they did, would it make sense to have them stock every single size/item permutation in the off chance that somebody walking in wanted it? That would require a lot of storage space and rent is not cheap in Seattle.

Additionally, with an eye to making a repeat customer, once they know their sizing, they're probably a lot less likely to order several different sizes of the same item and more likely to troll through the sales section for stuff in their size and take a gamble in it.

Originally posted by aw82 View Post
          These retailers aren't paying full-price for shipping and of course their regular prices are way marked up (who pays full price at BR?) which covers their shipping costs. Now maybe if someone bought 30 pairs of shoes or something else just completely ridiculous, then things would be different.
          That's for damn sure. I have a commercial shipping account for work and the price difference between what I pay as a private citizen and as a business is substantial.

Regards,
          Vic
          "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Originally posted by Vic View Post
            That's for damn sure. I have a commercial shipping account for work and the price difference between what I pay as a private citizen and as a business is substantial.
            Truth. I just shipped some of my textbooks and references from my Pittsburgh office to my DC office. The package was just under 50lbs. I insured it for $1000 and the total cost was less than $14 to ship since I sent it with my employers account. If I didn't insure it the cost would have been something silly like $6 IIRC

Comment

you're like the guy who goes into a brick and mortar store to try stuff on with no intention of buying, only to turn around and buy it someplace else that has the same item cheaper.
              Except trying things on at a brick and mortar store cost them little to nothing. Bad analogy.

Comment

Even in 2014, a lot of huge retailers still don't even sync up their B&M and E-Commerce systems. Why am I going to pay a higher cost and risk wasting a pointless drive to a busy mall because you can't even give me a reasonable pick-up in store option? Macy's might be the worst with this. The only time I've felt bad about going in-store without planning to purchase was a fragrance store. I told the lady I would gladly pay her for a sample since I knew I was going straight back to E-Bay. She refused twice, so oh well. 1 spritz on the card shouldn't put you in the red.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with the Allen Edmonds 'Shaker Heights' boot?

Seen here: http://www.shoebank.com/FactorySecon...DIM=D&SIZE=100

My wife was asking what I would like for our anniversary and I thought these might be cool (not to mention, I live in Shaker Heights).

Thanks guys

Comment

Anyone have an LL Bean sale code, or know if a sale one is coming up?

Comment

Allowed to ask pricing questions?

I have a pair of brand new, new worn (besides trying on indoors) Clarks Desert Boots in Oakwood suede 9D that I'm thinking about selling. Will include AE suede spray (http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...0000000001_-1_) and AE suede and nubuck cleaning system (http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...0000000001_-1_). The spray was used on the desert boots and the suede and nubuck cleaning system is brand new. What would be a fair asking price?
                      Last edited by VeNOM; August 17, 2014, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Could I get some sizing info on J. Crew's trench coats? Their overcoats intuitively fit over their sport coats and suit jackets (S over a 36-38) just fine but their trenches seem more fitted. Should I size up or are they pretty true to size? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by VeNOM View Post
                          Allowed to ask pricing questions?

I have a pair of brand new, new worn (besides trying on indoors) Clarks Desert Boots in Oakwood suede 9D that I'm thinking about selling. Will include AE suede spray (http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...0000000001_-1_) and AE suede and nubuck cleaning system (http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...0000000001_-1_). The spray was used on the desert boots and the suede and nubuck cleaning system is brand new. What would be a fair asking price?
                          Cost minus 20% to 25%.

Comment

Originally posted by paulsoncall View Post
                            Let me know if you find a good tailor. I'm in the market for one myself preferably in midtown east. I'm going to check one out that was recommended on Yelp. Will let you know how it goes.
                            Went with nelsons tailor shop on rivington. Great work and great prices. He gave me his opinion and then we decided what looked best. Few days later everything fit perfect.

Originally posted by Manceptional View Post
                            Big fan of Stanton Tailor Shop downtown. I bring them just about everything. Long waits on the weekends though...
                            A good friend of mine highly recommended them as well.

Comment

I purchased them on clearance and am impressed. They seem like seconds quality but are a very unique boot. Wider than daltons, but still dressy enough for a boot. I will be getting married wearing chili red in October

Comment

Originally posted by JGL View Post
                                Except trying things on at a brick and mortar store cost them little to nothing. Bad analogy.
                                You clearly didn't understand the context. A customer that goes in to try on clothing with no intention to buy is costing the business money. You're wasting the time of the sales person and you're taking your business elsewhere. Everything has a cost attached to it. Do you think these free shipping deals somehow don't effect the bottom line? If there were 1000 or even 5000 people on any given week making returns you can bet it's costing a buttload of money.

On the one hand, it really is no skin off my back what you choose to do. These types of companies only exist to make a profit. I think I take more of an issue with it when it comes to small family owned businesses, versus the BR's and JC's of the world

Comment

Working...
                                X