This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zcm View Post
    I agree. However if the person wearing it is going for a formal look I would pick a poplin, broadcloth, or twill over a herringbone.

Just like I would choose a twill worsted navy blazer over a hopsack of I wanted to look more polished.

Its not that those other weaves can't look formal and polished, but rather their are other better options.

IMHO, YMMV, and all that.
    I think herringbone adds some interest to an otherwise plain shirt, similar to twill - you won't notice it from more that 3 feet away. If they were going tuxedos, I'd agree with you, but I see no problem wearing herringbone with a wool suit, even to a wedding.

And yeah, to the OP - it will be a delicate subject no doubt, but there needs to be a tie intervention here. Those are not good. Unless the bride is going for rented-tux-on-prom-night, in which case they work pretty perfectly.

Comment

• Like I said before. The herringbone could easily work with a suit. I was just going off the OPs original statement that the groom wanted to be formal. My point was that their are more formal options besides herringbone. I never said it wouldn't work. And yes OP please be subtle.

Comment

• Anyone know a similar backpack like the herschel supply co little america backpack but with a better build quality?

http://www.amazon.com/Herschel-Suppl.../dp/B00838TCGO

Comment

• Originally posted by jackbauer24 View Post
          Anyone know a similar backpack like the herschel supply co little america backpack but with a better build quality?

If you've got the budget for it, Makr is where it's at.

http://makr.com/farm-ruck-sack-black...een-hs-leather

Comment

• Originally posted by jackbauer24 View Post
            Anyone know a similar backpack like the herschel supply co little america backpack but with a better build quality?

For what it's worth, my little america has survived three full east coast tours in punk bands, constant use as a daily bag for school and work, and a couple of hiking/camping trips.

Comment

• Anyone know how Stuart McGuire shoes fit? I'm hoping they're a bit big, but have a feeling maybe not.

Comment

• I've got a company party this weekend. It's a booze cruise type of deal. I'm going to wear a basic black vest from H&M (http://www.hm.com/us/product/99223?article=99223-A) and black slacks. Not sure what color shirt to pair with that though. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Originally posted by ardichoke View Post
                  I've got a company party this weekend. It's a booze cruise type of deal. I'm going to wear a basic black vest from H&M (http://www.hm.com/us/product/99223?article=99223-A) and black slacks. Not sure what color shirt to pair with that though. Any suggestions?
                  i'd reconsider wearing black on a cruise....

Comment

• [MENTION=12417]ardichoke[/MENTION], I would rethink that ensemble, particularly for a cruise (I assume it would be warm?). Also, you may just end up looking like a waiter..
                    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

• Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                      i'd reconsider wearing black on a cruise....
                      Cruise is perhaps an overstatement. It's a riverboat. They just tool up and down the river then dock again while everyone consumes far more alcohol than they should.

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                      [MENTION=12417]ardichoke[/MENTION], I would rethink that ensemble, particularly for a cruise (I assume it would be warm?). Also, you may just end up looking like a waiter..
                      It's an evening/night thing (6p-2a), and lately it's been getting pretty cool at night here. The forecast says low to mid 60s. Also, the riverboat is air conditioned, and if the past couple years were any indication they will have it turned WAY down.

There aren't any waiters, and the bartenders, if I recall correctly from last year, wear polos and khakis.

A few of my coworkers typically wear shirt, tie and slacks. A few do the no tie, blazer, jeans thing. Most do jeans and t-shirt, but as I've discussed before, I'm trying to get away from the typical slob attire that surrounds my workplace. I wanted to do something dressy but a bit different, thus the vest and slacks idea.

Comment

• Ah I see. I used to be a vest guy, and still would consider it but just don't wear them anymore. I would suggest a different color than black and then don't quite match the pants. Make it look like you didn't lose the coat from a 3-piece suit.

Comment

• Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                          Ah I see. I used to be a vest guy, and still would consider it but just don't wear them anymore. I would suggest a different color than black and then don't quite match the pants. Make it look like you didn't lose the coat from a 3-piece suit.
                          Now, of course, I'm doubting my original idea. I've been scouring the web for tips (and photos). I'm starting to lean toward doing the vest with an open-collar shirt and a nice pair of jeans. Still leaves me unsure about what color shirt to wear though.

Comment

• I think that is fine [MENTION=12417]ardichoke[/MENTION]. A vest (not black) jeans or other trousers would work. You are almost never wrong in a white shirt.

Comment

• [MENTION=12417]ardichoke[/MENTION] it seems at that temperature a blazer would be better? Whilst I like the look of the vests with jeans, I always feel outfits like that are less versatile when you get cold/hot during the night. Also, the benefit of a blazer is that you can always lend it to a lady if need be

Comment

• Any current suggestions for a steamer? I found recommendations from a couple of years ago for the Rowenta DR5015, but was wondering if there's a newer model others might suggest.

Regards,
                                Vic
                                "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Working...
                                X