• Show
Clear All
    Token
    Varsity Member

• Token
    replied
    Originally posted by hasenkopfe View Post
    Thank you.

I am concerned with minimizing scuffs. Would a neutral shoe cream work? Or, do I need to find an appropriate shade?
    You'll need to find the appropriate shade. If you want to cover up scuffs you'll need a shoe cream with a pigment that'll dye the leather. I'd recommend a shoe cream that's lighter than the actual color of the leather, that way you'll minimize the risk of darkening the leather.

Leave a comment:

• hasenkopfe

• hasenkopfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Token View Post
    Main thing is to get some sort of conditioner: Bick 4, AE leather lotion, etc. and apply that every once in a while. If you don't like scuffs then you should get a cream polish to fill those in, but I would avoid wax polishes as I don't think a work boot needs a mirror shine.
    Thank you.

I am concerned with minimizing scuffs. Would a neutral shoe cream work? Or, do I need to find an appropriate shade?

Leave a comment:

• Token
    Varsity Member

• Token
    replied
    Originally posted by hasenkopfe View Post
    I scooped up a pair of those Chippewa’s that were featured on the site last week. They are a light tan color with very soft boot leather. What is the best way to care for this type of work boot? I’ve read about so many different boot/shoe care products and the information and number of guides is overwhelming. Polished, waxed, conditioners etc.

I have mink oil that I’ve used on my Clark’s boots, but I’m not sure that would be a good fit here. I think they may darken the leather too much. Any advice?
    Main thing is to get some sort of conditioner: Bick 4, AE leather lotion, etc. and apply that every once in a while. If you don't like scuffs then you should get a cream polish to fill those in, but I would avoid wax polishes as I don't think a work boot needs a mirror shine.

Leave a comment:

• hasenkopfe

• hasenkopfe
    replied
    I scooped up a pair of those Chippewa’s that were featured on the site last week. They are a light tan color with very soft boot leather. What is the best way to care for this type of work boot? I’ve read about so many different boot/shoe care products and the information and number of guides is overwhelming. Polished, waxed, conditioners etc.

I have mink oil that I’ve used on my Clark’s boots, but I’m not sure that would be a good fit here. I think they may darken the leather too much. Any advice?

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    Varsity Member

• mebejoseph
    replied
    Originally posted by MexAggie12 View Post
    Howdy gents, I'm looking for an affordable pair of jeans (about the price of Levi's), that would look good on a shorter guy (likely mid rise, for a 5'6" guy), and come in a slim or tapered fit. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    I don't have a specific jean suggestion, but I've been having good results using Nordstrom Rack's website--the selection is way bigger than in their stores, the prices start at about $30, and the in-store returns are easy. I order a bunch of styles and sizes, try them on when I get them, and then return all that I don't want.

Leave a comment:

• Rawfull
    Varsity Member

• Rawfull
    replied
    Originally posted by MexAggie12 View Post
    Hi Tacitus, thanks for the response. I'm a bulkier dude at around 175#s, but BR has served me well in the past. I'll have to try them out and wait for the 40% off sale. I'll take any other suggestions at around $50.
    If there are any still available in your size you could try out the jeans that Jomers just released. You will definitely have to get them hemmed as they all come with a 34" inseam. I actually picked up a pair of the Olive jeans shortly after Joe reviewed them and really like them for what they are. A lightweight jean with a comfortable amount of stretch for the warmer months. With your average hemming costs they can come in close to the $50 mark you are looking for.

Leave a comment:

• MexAggie12

• MexAggie12
    replied
    Hi Tacitus, thanks for the response. I'm a bulkier dude at around 175#s, but BR has served me well in the past. I'll have to try them out and wait for the 40% off sale. I'll take any other suggestions at around $50.

Leave a comment:

• Tacitus
    Varsity Member

• Tacitus
    replied
    I'm 5'7" and pretty skinny, and have had good luck with BR - not sure if that falls within your price range (although presumably you'd be buying at 40% off or so).

Leave a comment:

• MexAggie12

• MexAggie12
    replied
    Howdy gents, I'm looking for an affordable pair of jeans (about the price of Levi's), that would look good on a shorter guy (likely mid rise, for a 5'6" guy), and come in a slim or tapered fit. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Slubby Linen
    Varsity Member

• Slubby Linen
    replied
    Here's the first pic that pops up under "man hailing a cab" in Bing images:

This is the same pull I'm getting.

Certainly could just be nature of the beast and a matter of degree.

Leave a comment:

• TheManJournals
    Varsity Member

• TheManJournals
    replied
    ^^ Agree with Spex. How many times do we really have to raise our hands that high up with your jacket buttoned? I think because of what we are told, we just tend to over think things sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• Spex
    Varsity Member

• Spex
    replied
    ^^ I think this is something that's difficult to completely eliminate (the pulling that happens when you raise your arm). It kind of just how tailored jackets are. I think it's more important that you can raise your arms up paralel to the ground without too much pulling, but raising it right up towards the sky is asking a lot from most jackets.

Leave a comment:

• Slubby Linen
    Varsity Member

• Slubby Linen
    replied
    ^^Thanks. The suit that's giving me the pull on the button is the SS Napoli that I mentioned in the Lewin thread. I'm pretty confident the fit is good, and the armholes are high, which is part of what has me puzzled. To me this should be a formula for good range of motion. The jacket definitely fights me a little when putting it on, especially my left arm since my watch wants to snag the armhole. I know exactly what you mean about this being different from typical OTR fit. In fact this is something I've had to adjust to as I've been phasing out my old dorky fitting suits blazers etc. with more sharply tailored ones. I will say that I tried the taxi hail test on several other of my newer jackets today and they all pull to some degree, but the SS is the most pronounced. Maybe I'll see if I can post a pic to give a visual of what's going on.

Leave a comment:

• anilb

• anilb
    replied
    Anyone know the watch in this post?

https://dappered.com/2018/03/steal-a...-at-nordstrom/

Leave a comment:

• Spex
    Varsity Member

• Spex
    replied
    Originally posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    Quick suit jacket fit question. Should you be able to do the "hailing a taxi cab" gesture -- one arm raised -- with your jacket buttoned without getting serious pulling on the button?
    Ideally you should be able to do this, but hard to find on off the rack jackets, except in higher end brands. Should be easily doable with decent custom suitmakers. With higher armholds (which is required for this) it takes a bit more work to get the jacket on. Guys who are used to the lower armholes of most jackets might consider the jacket too small or too tight, when it's just that they are not used to such a fit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X