X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marc99
    replied
    Originally posted by blan2819 View Post
    Anyone have any go-to brands for suits for guys with bigger thighs like myself? Both suitsupply & Spier & Mackay's trousers are too tight in the thighs for me. I did get the thighs let out in my SS suits but I found that it isn't worth the trouble, as it was still never really comfy after alterations, as there's not much extra fabric to work with. Or, it is time for me to try custom/MTM?
    Brooks Brothers when you catch a sale?

Leave a comment:

• blan2819
    replied
    Anyone have any go-to brands for suits for guys with bigger thighs like myself? Both suitsupply & Spier & Mackay's trousers are too tight in the thighs for me. I did get the thighs let out in my SS suits but I found that it isn't worth the trouble, as it was still never really comfy after alterations, as there's not much extra fabric to work with. Or, it is time for me to try custom/MTM?

Leave a comment:

• blan2819
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback on tie knots. I've been trying a four in hand lately and I do like the asymmetry of it, but what I have noticed is that the type of shirt collar dictates what knot to use more than the tie itself.

Leave a comment:

• jvargas
    replied
    Might feel to simple but the Oriental Knot works well. Probably not going to work with a spread collar. Real Men Real Style did a good job making a series about tie knots.

https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/ori...-necktie-knot/

Leave a comment:

• andrewrg
    replied
    Probably a four in hand (which I misheard as "foreign hand" when I was a kid, sounded cool). That's the smallest knot I can think of.

I misunderstood from the diagram of the Pratt knot, it looks a lot like a half-windsor to me, but reading the description made sense.

Leave a comment:

• blan2819
    replied
    Is there a better knot for a tie more narrow thru the body? I have a tie traditional 3.5in width at the widest point, but thru the body it's narrower than usual. I currently tie a pratt knot (https://www.101knots.com/pratt-shelby-knot.html), but for a tie like this that knot doesn't dimple very well due to lack of fabric - suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• blan2819
    replied
    Yeah. There's just something about wearing a tie to complete the look and rise to the occasion, so to speak. I do really enjoy the no tie look; but to me, if you're not going to wear a tie, you must NAIL everything else for something like a wedding (i.e. tassel loafers, patterned sport coat, great trouser color, pocket square, etc). I don't have the right loafers to pull that off, and I'd hate to be one of the few people in there without a tie on - but then again I could be one of the few with a tie on - stay tuned.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Tie. Can never go wrong with a tie.

Leave a comment:

• andrewrg
    replied
    Suit and tie always works! If it's a summery vibe, or if you want to be less dressy, try a gingham or checked shirt, and a lighter suit

Leave a comment:

• blan2819
    replied
    Hi All,

Attending a wedding this weekend - dress code is cocktail attire - what should I wear? Tie or no tie?

Leave a comment:

• zorro
    replied
    Originally posted by andrewrg View Post
    I've got that genetic condition too. Are you talking about pain while putting the boots on? Like the sock catching and pulling your toe? In that case I'd recommend boots with more stretchy or larger elastic sections, to allow them to move more as you put them on. Or do you mean when they're on and the toe box is constricting? If you're sure they're the right size, try SuperFeet green insoles. I have an *inexpensive* pair of Deer Stags chelsea boots with these insoles, they make all the difference.
    I used to wear metatarsal pads like these. They go in your shoes on the insole, and they go just under the ball of your foot. They have the effect of raising the ball of your foot under the second toe so your long toe doesn't stick out as much. Might be uncomfortable to have something in your shoe, I eventually stopped wearing them and I find the SuperFeet to help a lot.

https://www.hapad.com/products/foref...etatarsal-pads
    Thanks!... it's just getting them on, once on they are perfect. But getting my foot through the opening and situated pulls the socks back toward the heel. The pressure of my foot hold the sock in the hyperextended state and puts constant pressure on the toe that sticks out... which means my chelseas (2 of them at least) just kind of sit there and never get worn.

Leave a comment:

• andrewrg
    replied
    I've got that genetic condition too. Are you talking about pain while putting the boots on? Like the sock catching and pulling your toe? In that case I'd recommend boots with more stretchy or larger elastic sections, to allow them to move more as you put them on. Or do you mean when they're on and the toe box is constricting? If you're sure they're the right size, try SuperFeet green insoles. I have an *inexpensive* pair of Deer Stags chelsea boots with these insoles, they make all the difference.
    I used to wear metatarsal pads like these. They go in your shoes on the insole, and they go just under the ball of your foot. They have the effect of raising the ball of your foot under the second toe so your long toe doesn't stick out as much. Might be uncomfortable to have something in your shoe, I eventually stopped wearing them and I find the SuperFeet to help a lot.

https://www.hapad.com/products/foref...etatarsal-pads

Leave a comment:

• zorro
    replied
    Does anyone have any magic for getting your chelsea boots on with socks, but without punishing your toes? I have that weird genetic thing where one of my toes is longer than my big toe, so toe area sock restriction is agony.

Leave a comment:

• Loafer28
    replied
    Originally posted by dagreen88 View Post

Thanks!

If anyone is wondering, after a few more half hour rotations of wearing the shoe I finally caved and called the AE store to see what they recommended. They said that a shoe should feel a bit uncomfortable when it is new but if it is crushing your pinky toe that is a sign that you have the wrong size. They recommended exchanging the shoes. I appreciate everyone's help on this!
    After you mentioned that your pinky fell asleep, that’s what I would have recommended. I was able to stretch out a light pinky pinch that wouldn’t go away after a long break-in period. I don’t think you could stretch shoes to solve a major fit issue.

Leave a comment:

• dagreen88
    replied
    Originally posted by bassoonguy View Post

If they are that tight, I would suggest that the shoe is not the right fit and return them. I've tried having a cobbler stretch a pair of AE's before and I don't think they would stretch enough that you are going to feel comfortable in them. With a boat shoe or camp moc you might be able to get away with it as the leather/construction is more forgiving. For the St. john's I think you would be better off with a different size. Perhaps as dagreen88 suggested, a 7E?
    Thanks!

If anyone is wondering, after a few more half hour rotations of wearing the shoe I finally caved and called the AE store to see what they recommended. They said that a shoe should feel a bit uncomfortable when it is new but if it is crushing your pinky toe that is a sign that you have the wrong size. They recommended exchanging the shoes. I appreciate everyone's help on this!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X