This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zcm View Post
    Absolutely valid question. I guess it is a combination of laziness, simplicity, and genuine interest in trying to find one that doesn't suck... also I thought I may be able to save a buck or two.
    I've never seen one of decent or high quality. Usually they are the cheap ones you find at department stores. I currently have a reversible belt and I am trying to go the opposite way and buy a nice brown and a nice black one.

I guess that sparks a question for me then. Any brand or store that you guys recommend for getting decent leather belts? I'm looking in the 50-100 range but I'd prefer to stay under 75.

Comment

Originally posted by jack7 View Post
      I think the point of a reversible belt is to save money by not having to purchase two belts.

I think the best advantage they offer is for traveling.
      Absolutely valid question. I guess it is a combination of laziness, simplicity, and genuine interest in trying to find one that doesn't suck... also I thought I may be able to save a buck or two.
      Jack, I didn't think of the advantage of only needing to pack one belt when you travel. That makes sense to me. Thank you.

zcm, I used to purchase inexpensive belts from J.Crew and Banana Republic, but I moved to MTM belts this year. They are comparatively expensive at roughly twice the cost of a J.Crew belt, but I've been sold on spending a bit more for a belt that will last 10+ years. Both the Equus and Worcestershire belts that I have look new and I wear each of them multiple times a week.

Comment

Reversible belts may serve some purpose (not sure the traveling thing is that big a deal - you can wear one belt and pack another, so that doesn't seem like such a waste of space). But you will have a hard time finding one of any quality. Reversible belts are, by necessity, bonded leather rather than full grain, so they will look and feel cheaper and wear out faster than a regular belt of decent quality.

In terms of leather belts, I'd recommend investing in one nice leather belt (in the color you wear most often in shoes), buying a "good enough" belt in the "other" color (black or brown), and then buying a couple of casual, non-leather belts. The occasions in which owning a reversible belt will really save you any time or space will probably be few and far between.

Costco used to (and still might?) sell full-grain leather belts - one dressy black calf, one more casual brown - for $20. That would be a pretty easy way to cover your bases without having to fork over tons of money.
        Ben

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I have been looking at the AE shoebanks list of belts... anyone ever order a belt from them?

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

In terms of leather belts, I'd recommend investing in one nice leather belt (in the color you wear most often in shoes), buying a "good enough" belt in the "other" color (black or brown), and then buying a couple of casual, non-leather belts. The occasions in which owning a reversible belt will really save you any time or space will probably be few and far between.

Costco used to (and still might?) sell full-grain leather belts - one dressy black calf, one more casual brown - for $20. That would be a pretty easy way to cover your bases without having to fork over tons of money.
            This is pretty much the logic I use. Good tip on the costco too. Too bad they don't have a dress brown, as that is my go-to belt.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I have been looking at the AE shoebanks list of belts... anyone ever order a belt from them?
              I own a few AE belts, and they're great quality, but overpriced. I have Manistees in merlot, walnut, and bourbon, and a dark brown Wide Basic (got them all on sale). I had a bourbon Dearborn, but I swapped those for the bourbon Manistee because they creased really badly after only a couple wears.

Comment

All right, I've got a quick question. I've been keeping an eye out for a piece of lightweight outerwear. Something windbreaker-y (in terms of function, if not necessarily style). The kind of thing to throw on when it's 65 and a bit breezy and just a shirt isn't quite going to cut it, or when it's warm during the day but you know the temps are going to drop at night.

Right now I'm tempted by these, which are on sale:

Opinions?
                Ben

Comment

May I ask what price range they're in, both originally and on sale? I have to say, they don't grab me. Not like Muffy's blazer.

How about that or a Baracuta instead?

I would even go with the tried-and-true LL Bean field coat first.

Comment

Had some birthday scratch to spend so picked up this oxford cloth popover from J. Crew.

I'm new to the popover look, and since the majority of my closet seems to be owned by OCBD's in various forms of blue, I didn't think this was much of a stretch. Polo's have never really been my thing, I only own a couple but mainly wear with shorts during the summer. My question is this, obviously I can wear this very casually, and when I say that I mean untucked with shorts/chinos/denim, but can it be pulled off tucked in for a casual summer day in the office with mid-gray/khaki/stone chino's with CDB's or Sperry's?

Comment

third one is pretty OK. None of them are fully my thing though.

Comment

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION], don't take this the wrong way, but to me they just seem a little nondescript and frumpy. There's nothing really wrong with them aside from that.

Comment

Re: my earlier post, I'd be buying the jacket strictly for casual wear. Looking for something I can beat up and chuck in the wash (rules out waxed cotton). Baracuta isn't really my thing, plus they seem like they'd be too warm for my purposes with the full lining.

I'm leaning toward the orange jacket. Most of what I wear on a day-to-day basis is neutral so I think a little blaze orange would be workable as an outdoor piece.
                          Ben

Comment

Prices?

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                            Re: my earlier post, I'd be buying the jacket strictly for casual wear. Looking for something I can beat up and chuck in the wash (rules out waxed cotton). Baracuta isn't really my thing, plus they seem like they'd be too warm for my purposes with the full lining.

I'm leaning toward the orange jacket. Most of what I wear on a day-to-day basis is neutral so I think a little blaze orange would be workable as an outdoor piece.

Comment

$200 on sale. Not the best price ever but I recently got a $500 bonus at work (for no discernible reason) so I'm itching to burn a chunk of it on something.
                              Ben

Comment

Who is the maker? Are they Barbour?

Comment

Working...
                                X