This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
    Holy crap, [MENTION=9923]mjn082[/MENTION]. My popover just arrived. I don't know what was wrong with either me or the shirt in the store Saturday, but slipping it on out of the package left at the front door today is an entirely other experience. I hated it in the store, but I freaking love this now. I was wrong about the sleeves. It's true, they're not a traditional length for this kind of shirt--I would say a good couple of inches shorter in sleeve length than you're likely to see in the versions men were wearing in the early to mid-60s. But for whatever reason, the length does not seem all that bad this time around. Sleeves come down to about mid-bicep, maybe just a tad longer than a trim-fitting polo, say.

I got a large, did not size down, and it is perfect all around. Not too tight, not baggy at all, no undue billowing at the waist or in the back, just enough to look slightly relaxed. In fact, even in a size large (I often wear medium), this shirt is just a little bit snug in the back/yoke part of the shirt. Buttons nicely at the neck, not that I would, but this is an indication for me of how comfortable a shirt will be.

The seersucker material is nice, if slightly scratchy, but I imagine it will soften up with a few launderings. J. Crew always has to mess a little with the traditional things, and so they've made the seersucker striping a little thinner than you might see from traditional shirtmakers, but that's hardly a dealbreaker for me.

I'm loving the feel of this shirt on an 80-degree summer day!
    Thanks for the update. Still waiting on mine. Anxious to see how "relaxed" it will be. Ordered an XS and even the slim fit XS is always as trim as I like. Maybe I should check out "Crew Cuts" for a test sometime, lol!

Comment

Can anybody compare the size of the JCF shorts with the Target Oxford cloth shorts? I picked up a pair from Target, and they were too small through the leg (waist would have been ok). Since 38 is the highest JCF goes, and the size that was too small at Target, does anybody know if they have more generous leg openings?

Comment

Originally posted by VC_rugger View Post
        Can anybody compare the size of the JCF shorts with the Target Oxford cloth shorts? I picked up a pair from Target, and they were too small through the leg (waist would have been ok). Since 38 is the highest JCF goes, and the size that was too small at Target, does anybody know if they have more generous leg openings?
        I have a pair of the JCF in 33 and the Meronas in 32. The Meronas are tighter, but both fit me. Not sure if that helps, but that's all I got.

Comment

Originally posted by VC_rugger View Post
          I have pairs from target and jcf, both from last year, in size 30. the jcf is baggier in the thighs at that size.

Comment

Per the spirit of this thread:

If you are wanting to have a more in-depth discussion on things, do so in other threads. This thread is for quick Q&A. Asides will be removed to not clog it up.
            "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Possibly overthinking this but quick opinions appreciated: are argyle socks 1) too casual or 2) totally acceptable for wear with a suit? (worsted suit in a business setting specifically)
              “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
              "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

[MENTION=7232]Sideswipe[/MENTION] It really depends on the culture of the office. Business like central business district? Then probably no. Can you branch out a bit with certain things already, like louder shoes, etc.? Then yes. Regardless, more toned down argyle won't show much and I think it is usually fine.
                "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

[MENTION=7232]Sideswipe[/MENTION], I frequently wear argyle socks with suits and I don't think it looks out of place. As [MENTION=2055]greg_s[/MENTION] noted, though, they should be fairly sedate. Mine are a simple argyle pattern on a sock that is mainly the dominant color of the suit (e.g., navy or charcoal).

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                    [MENTION=7232]Sideswipe[/MENTION], I frequently wear argyle socks with suits and I don't think it looks out of place. As [MENTION=2055]greg_s[/MENTION] noted, though, they should be fairly sedate. Mine are a simple argyle pattern on a sock that is mainly the dominant color of the suit (e.g., navy or charcoal).
                    Seconding what Greg and Shomas said above -- so long as they don't stray too far to extremes, argyle is a nice way to mix up socks when you're looking for an alternative to solids, polka dots and stripes. Sometimes I go a bit further with a bold color in the pattern, but usually it's one of the minor colors so as not to get too loud. For example, I have black/grey argyle (for the main diamond colors) with vibrant red stripes, and another pair that's navy/blue and a near neon blue.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post

If you are wanting to have a more in-depth discussion on things, do so in other threads. This thread is for quick Q&A. Asides will be removed to not clog it up.
                      Thanks, Greg.

Comment

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks, Greg.

Originally posted by greg_s View Post

Comment

[MENTION=3269]Shomas[/MENTION] [MENTION=2055]greg_s[/MENTION] [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] - thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Do the all season J.Crew wool Ludlow suits ever go on sale? I know seasonal stuff does, but really looking to buy a plain charcoal suit and can't drop $700 for it. I know I could get a nice Suitsupply for this price, but they don't come in 39R or separates.

Comment

Originally posted by geauxtigers View Post
                              Do the all season J.Crew wool Ludlow suits ever go on sale? I know seasonal stuff does, but really looking to buy a plain charcoal suit and can't drop $700 for it. I know I could get a nice Suitsupply for this price, but they don't come in 39R or separates.
                              Can't speak to the Ludlow (or SS) but for a solid charcoal suit you might take a look at Brooks Brothers Suiting Essentials line - they come in separates and odd sizes and are currently on sale for ~$450 (I believe through the 3rd).

Comment

Originally posted by geauxtigers View Post
                                If you really want a ludlow for less than retail and know you size, set up a search on eBay. They are on there quite often marked NWT or NWOT for much less than retail.

Comment

Working...
                                X