Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy crap, [MENTION=9923]mjn082[/MENTION]. My popover just arrived. I don't know what was wrong with either me or the shirt in the store Saturday, but slipping it on out of the package left at the front door today is an entirely other experience. I hated it in the store, but I freaking love this now. I was wrong about the sleeves. It's true, they're not a traditional length for this kind of shirt--I would say a good couple of inches shorter in sleeve length than you're likely to see in the versions men were wearing in the early to mid-60s. But for whatever reason, the length does not seem all that bad this time around. Sleeves come down to about mid-bicep, maybe just a tad longer than a trim-fitting polo, say.

I got a large, did not size down, and it is perfect all around. Not too tight, not baggy at all, no undue billowing at the waist or in the back, just enough to look slightly relaxed. In fact, even in a size large (I often wear medium), this shirt is just a little bit snug in the back/yoke part of the shirt. Buttons nicely at the neck, not that I would, but this is an indication for me of how comfortable a shirt will be.

The seersucker material is nice, if slightly scratchy, but I imagine it will soften up with a few launderings. J. Crew always has to mess a little with the traditional things, and so they've made the seersucker striping a little thinner than you might see from traditional shirtmakers, but that's hardly a dealbreaker for me.

I'm loving the feel of this shirt on an 80-degree summer day!

Originally posted by mjn082 View Post
    [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION] if you pick your's up this weekend post an update on the sleeves if you have a chance. I'll take a chance (acutally already clicked checkout on the indigo one) on it but won't get mine for about two weeks. Thanks....

Comment

Okay. Does everyone remember we are talking about a shirt here? If you find yourself getting really worked up or angry or offended about this issue, you might want to reconsider your priorities. This ain't the Syrian Civil War we're talking about.

In any case, the button-down oxford shirt has its origins as a sports shirt. (Invented by Brooks Brothers in America and based on button-down collars worn by polo players in England.) The whole purpose of the button-down collar was to prevent the collar from flapping up and whacking the wearer in the face while riding. It is a casual shirt that can, for a number of reasons, sometimes successfully masquerade as a dress shirt in the present day.

IMO the circumstances entirely dictate whether it is appropriate to wear an OCBD untucked. If you're wearing it casually, with jeans or chinos or shorts, and the shirt isn't too long or too baggy, I think it's entirely fine to wear it untucked. If the situation is more "business casual" or the shirt is too long, or either overly tight or overly baggy, then it's probably better tucked. There are a lot of overlapping situations where you could probably look fine and appropriate either way.
      Ben

Comment

Here it is: J. Crew red seersucker short-sleeve popover

Honest to God, I think I need a J. Crew spenders anonymous group. I have spent way too much on shirts there recently. I'm never going to afford that damned Beaufort, or much of anything else, if I keep up this habit. The long-sleeved seersucker shirt I received today is nice, too, much, much better than the Lands' End from earlier this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
          Here it is: J. Crew red seersucker short-sleeve popover

Honest to God, I think I need a J. Crew spenders anonymous group. I have spent way too much on shirts there recently. I'm never going to afford that damned Beaufort, or much of anything else, if I keep up this habit. The long-sleeved seersucker shirt I received today is nice, too, much, much better than the Lands' End from earlier this summer.
          Is J.Crew a publicly-traded company? You should buy some shares and reap what you sow.
          Ben

Comment

[MENTION=2492]LosRockets[/MENTION], by the way, ignore the fit on the model shown online. Not an accurate depiction of how the sleeves should fit, imo. As usual, J. Crew does some kind of magic photo work, because the rest of shirt on the guy looks pretty good. The sleeves on mine just don't look like that, not that short and skinny.

Comment

Got my Lands End order today. Got a lambswool sweater on clearance. Figured since it is exactly 6 months to Christmas I should stock up Only cost $34, but I'm still not sure I'll keep it.

I also got this suit jacket. MUCH darker in person. I am thinking I can wear it with odd pants without it looking like an orphaned suit jacket. Maybe some pewter buttons to set it apart? Thoughts? If I keep it I will probably the let the sleeves down a touch.

Comment

Both those things are excellent, [MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION]. The sweater is definitely holiday-ish, so you might have limited wear from it, but it looks good on you. The jacket is great, and I'm not sure I'd even touch those sleeves--fit looks very good. I want one!

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                  Both those things are excellent, [MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION]. The sweater is definitely holiday-ish, so you might have limited wear from it, but it looks good on you. The jacket is great, and I'm not sure I'd even touch those sleeves--fit looks very good. I want one!
                  Thoughts on swapping the buttons? I think the right ones could indubitably make it look a blazer.

Comment

My oxford cloth JC popover came in yesterday and I'm with you [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION] on the overall fit, very nice. Sleeve length is comparable to my other short sleeve JC shirts from last summer so I didn't have the initial shock that you did upon trying on in store. If we get an exceptionally hot day next week I may try pulling it off tucked in with an office outfit, or wear it on Casual Friday.

Comment

[MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION], jacket looks good, but I'm a little torn on the sweater. I think the mixture of the shawl collar and the fair isle design makes it a bit busy IMO. For $10-$15 maybe, don't know if I'd pay $34.

Comment

Sure, if you want to. However, imo, it works as a blazer as is. Very nice choice. If I were not already in trouble with my J. Crew spending this month, I'd spring for one of those jackets myself. Sometimes Lands' End can come through.

Originally posted by zcm View Post
                        Thoughts on swapping the buttons? I think the right ones could indubitably make it look a blazer.

Comment

Cool. I think my initial problem is that I don't own ANY other short sleeve button-up shirts. Haven't in a while. My only short-sleeve things are polos and tees, so I'm not used to a short-sleeved shirt.

Originally posted by dackman View Post
                          My oxford cloth JC popover came in yesterday and I'm with you [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION] on the overall fit, very nice. Sleeve length is comparable to my other short sleeve JC shirts from last summer so I didn't have the initial shock that you did upon trying on in store. If we get an exceptionally hot day next week I may try pulling it off tucked in with an office outfit, or wear it on Casual Friday.

Comment

could someone explain to me why the AE strands seem to be so universally loved here?

Comment

[MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION], great holiday sweater - i say keep it.

jacket is nice - patch pockets help it look less like a suit jacket. i think pewter buttons would do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                                could someone explain to me why the AE strands seem to be so universally loved here?
                                Walnut Strands were the thing for bloggers writing to an audience just getting into menswear a couple years back. They were flashy, dropped quite a bit on sale, and honestly look pretty good. The medallion is nice, it's on the relatively sleek 5-last, the toe cap is well proportioned. They look pretty great in bourbon, IMO, but I've sort of moved past buying more AE. For people trying to dress better, the strands, especially in Walnut, sort of shout "I'm upping my style!" whereas other AE shoes are more subtle and may not be recognized by others, and I think that may be attractive to a certain subset of people starting out.

Comment

Working...
                                X