This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lchow1 View Post
    I've worn both a 16/35 and 15.5/35 ESF and the 15.5 is more slim in the body, chest, and sleeve width down the length of the arms.
    The woman assures me that it was the same... I ordered a new set of shirts in a 15.5 neck anyway. Even the neck on the 16 was much larger than any other 16 I own.
    [MENTION=9475]Lchow1[/MENTION] I vaguely remember being around your size. How did the 15.5 work out for you?

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
      The woman assures me that it was the same... I ordered a new set of shirts in a 15.5 neck anyway. Even the neck on the 16 was much larger than any other 16 I own.
      [MENTION=9475]Lchow1[/MENTION] I vaguely remember being around your size. How did the 15.5 work out for you?
      [MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION]: It worked out well. Some tightness in the chest for me, but the body width and arm sleeve width were great for an OCBD. I'm currently at 6'2, 186 to 190, 42R for jackets, 9" drop, muscular build. The OCBD's also shrink a little bit after laundering. The white shrunk the most, but not in sleeve length and still fit well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lchow1 View Post
        [MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION]: It worked out well. Some tightness in the chest for me, but the body width and arm sleeve width were great for an OCBD. I'm currently at 6'2, 186 to 190, 42R for jackets, 9" drop, muscular build. The OCBD's also shrink a little bit after laundering. The white shrunk the most, but not in sleeve length and still fit well.
        Yep we are indeed close in measurements. I usually go for a 40 L in jackets with a 33 waist. If the chest was a little tight on you, it could be great for me considering your measurements. You have made me hopeful, [MENTION=9475]Lchow1[/MENTION].

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
          Yep we are indeed close in measurements. I usually go for a 40 L in jackets with a 33 waist. If the chest was a little tight on you, it could be great for me considering your measurements. You have made me hopeful, [MENTION=9475]Lchow1[/MENTION].
          [MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION]: Hope it works out. On a different note, if you need a 16/36, (or possibly a 15.75/36) with a slimmer body, MTM is a great option. I've tried Proper Cloth, Luxire, and Spier and Mackay. The cheapest so far is Spier and Mackay. I just ordered three custom fabrics at 59 each (current deal ongoing) which turns out to be less because of the conversion rate from CAD to USD. My first order from a month ago arrives today and I'll do a quick review when I get a second. Ultimately, it ends up being the same price as BB ESF's with a ton more customization options. Of course there's a little bit of trial and error, but will be the best value once everything's dialed in. Just something to consider in the future.

Comment

Question for the Community: Men Wearing Oxford Shirts Untucked. Would anyone like to wear in for Muffy and her community on this penetrating question?

Personally, though I've never been a fan of much on GQ, I have always liked the GQ style guy's advice: "If it’s cut curvy—long in front and back, short on the sides—then tuck the mother in. You’ll feel better when you look at pictures of yourself ten years from now." So true.

Comment

[MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION], I think it all depends on the context of the outfit and setting. If I'm pulling a freshly pressed OCBD off of a hanger from my closet I'll most definitely be tucking it in. However, I don't see an issue with a slightly rumpled casual button-up being worn untucked with jeans or casual chinos for weekend off-the-clock wear.

Comment

I'll be interested to see what Muff's crowd thinks. I used to feel the same way, [MENTION=6917]dackman[/MENTION], but I see the point of GQ's advice. I think it looks sloppy to wear any shirt with a curvy tail untucked. About the only place I would do so anymore would be just lounging around the house.

Comment

The first picture from the link is not ok. The second picture is. It's all about context and the fit of the shirt. I get MTM oxfords (as well as plaids, etc.) in a shorter length than my normal dress shirts so that they look good untucked. Those get worn untucked or tucked, depending on the circumstance. My dress shirts I get in a longer length and they're always tucked in.

Comment

I know that is the trend, [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION], to wear slim-fitting, short OCBDs like that. It's not a trend I find particularly attractive.

Comment

Your answer:

Comment

I wear my solid color linen and OCBD shirts untucked with shorts and occasionally with chinos in super casual situations like a poolside BBQ or an evening walk in the park. It is physically cooler for me and I feel odd tucking in a shirt with shorts. My most comfortable combination for the humid summers in GA is one of those with my merona oxford shorts and some canvas shoes...and I still look more put together than 90% of the guys running around in cargos and wrinkled polos with garishly colored nikes. As for how it looks in 10 years...I think that this approach could be considered more "trad" than following a rule that doesn't work for me. Wasn't trad all about being functional with less regard for the "rules". I read somewhere that trad is not fashion its clothes. Regardless, I do it because it works for me and I think it looks decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Johdus View Post
                          Your answer:

Boom goes the dynamite. That is what I wear often, but a little less puffy.

Comment

Your answer: This looks so much better. I guess even JFK made mistakes now and then. We'll forgive him that momentary lapse with the untuck.

Comment

At core, the OCBD is still a dress shirt. It should be treated as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                                I know that is the trend, [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION], to wear slim-fitting, short OCBDs like that. It's not a trend I find particularly attractive.
                                To each his own. You asked for opinions.

Your answer: This looks so much better. I guess even JFK made mistakes now and then. We'll forgive him that momentary lapse with the untuck.

I think his shorts are epicly long and don't look good at all. I could comment on his nasty collar as well, if you want to nitpick. I don't understand the obsession with mimicking 50+ year old fashion trends, particularly those worn by specific persons--JFK, McQueen, James Bond, etc. Yes, those guys looked badass, and yes, they were wearing trendy stuff then. We should all have an eye toward picking what looks good from past trends, and emulating (by that I mean partially mimic, if you so desire, but also improve) to make it better and/or more your own.

At core, the OCBD is still a dress shirt. It should be treated as such.
                                I fully disagree -- context dictates this. Oxford cloth is a casual material/weave, we aren't talking about a royal twill or something here. Worn with a suit to work, dress shirt (although personally I'd never wear it like this); worn with shorts on the beach, not a dress shirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X