Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a quick question, get an answer

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by skylark View Post
    What brands would you recommend for smart-casual but also fun workplace shirts. I teach at a private school that just unofficially relaxed its "always wear a tie" dress code, so I'm looking for shirts that are the smartest of casual. OCBD's are obviously a go-to. I'd like patterns but sometimes those can seem a little too casual. I have plenty of blazers so I expect to pair button-down collar shirts with blazers.

    What brands would you recommend?

    (this is maybe not that quick of a question).
    Check out Ledbury. They have super nice shirts, and tons of nice options that aren't stiff, boring dress shirts. They may seem expensive, but they often have sales, and discounts can be found at places like Nordstrom and Nordstromrack sometimes.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Arête View Post
      Check out Ledbury. They have super nice shirts, and tons of nice options that aren't stiff, boring dress shirts. They may seem expensive, but they often have sales, and discounts can be found at places like Nordstrom and Nordstromrack sometimes.
      This ^

      Comment


      • Originally posted by skylark View Post
        What brands would you recommend for smart-casual but also fun workplace shirts. I teach at a private school that just unofficially relaxed its "always wear a tie" dress code, so I'm looking for shirts that are the smartest of casual. OCBD's are obviously a go-to. I'd like patterns but sometimes those can seem a little too casual. I have plenty of blazers so I expect to pair button-down collar shirts with blazers.

        What brands would you recommend?

        (this is maybe not that quick of a question).
        General recommendations would be the pretty standard stuff: Banana Republic, Charles Tyrwhitt, Spier & Mackay, J Crew, etc. I know others have recommended Ledbury. I don't have any experience with them mainly because spending $100+ per shirt seems crazy to me, but they are very well reviewed.

        If you're looking for more specific recommendations, we'll need much more info. What is your budget? What exactly do you mean when you say "fun shirts"?

        Comment


        • Red Fleece from Brooks Brothers is decent. I like their button downs better than the regular Brooks Brothers line for the reasons people complain about them in online reviews: they are slim cut and they don't have non-iron treatment. The one real downside imo is if your arms are longer than average proportions, you may not be able to get a good fit.

          Ledbury is also great as mentioned above. The two things I especially like about Ledbury is I've never had to use the extra buttons for one coming off or chipping and the button stance is how all OCBDs should be. A risk is if you do buy them used, someone may have cooked the shirt in a dryer which is especially bad for whatever reason with these shirts. I'd recommend lighter colors as well since these shirts seem to last forever with the only obvious wear being color fading on the ends of the cuffs without fraying.

          Comment


          • Another fan of Ledbury.
            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

            Comment


            • I have a shirt collar question... I’m wearing this to a wedding and I don’t have time to order a MTM shirt with an appropriately sized collar... the pants will be black dress pants. So, should I wear this shirt with the spread collar that’s too small or should I just go with a buttoned down collar and risk the informality of it all?... I think if I was wearing tan pants I’d be fine with a buttoned down, but the black pants (which you can’t see here, sorry) are considerably more formal, linen blend jacket notwithstanding


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • Originally posted by zorro View Post
                I have a shirt collar question... I’m wearing this to a wedding and I don’t have time to order a MTM shirt with an appropriately sized collar... the pants will be black dress pants. So, should I wear this shirt with the spread collar that’s too small or should I just go with a buttoned down collar and risk the informality of it all?... I think if I was wearing tan pants I’d be fine with a buttoned down, but the black pants (which you can’t see here, sorry) are considerably more formal, linen blend jacket notwithstanding


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                You’re overthinking it...it looks great and you’ll probably be the best dressed guest there.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by MIS997 View Post
                  You’re overthinking it...it looks great and you’ll probably be the best dressed guest there.
                  Thanks... I do tend to overthink... but, in this particular instance, I might be too far down the obsession/rabbit hole.

                  Comment


                  • After numerous unsuccessful attempts over the course of my adulthood I've finally found success shaving with a double-edged razor. I found a razor handle and blades (both Muhle… happened to be on the shelf on sale at T.J. Maxx so I bought it on a whim) that work perfectly for me.

                    My question is for those of you who shave with DE (or similar) razors. What do you do with the used blades afterward? I know some razor brands come in packages that have a little disposal slot on the underside. The brand I've purchased doesn't seem to have that. I ended up just ordering a hazardous sharps disposal container online. I wonder if I'm missing something obvious? How else do you dispose of your used razor blades?
                    Ben

                    Comment


                    • While I don't shave with a double-edge razor, for projects I have a couple of utility knives that use utility razor blades. For disposal I sandwich the used blade between scrap cardboard and then heavily tape with masking tape and place in the trash. I have also seen where an empty Altoids mint tin works perfectly for disposal of double-edge blades. When full, wrap in tape and place in the trash.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                        After numerous unsuccessful attempts over the course of my adulthood I've finally found success shaving with a double-edged razor. I found a razor handle and blades (both Muhle… happened to be on the shelf on sale at T.J. Maxx so I bought it on a whim) that work perfectly for me.

                        My question is for those of you who shave with DE (or similar) razors. What do you do with the used blades afterward? I know some razor brands come in packages that have a little disposal slot on the underside. The brand I've purchased doesn't seem to have that. I ended up just ordering a hazardous sharps disposal container online. I wonder if I'm missing something obvious? How else do you dispose of your used razor blades?
                        http://store.mensroombarbershop.com/...hoCMi8QAvD_BwE

                        There are a million similar ones.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          After numerous unsuccessful attempts over the course of my adulthood I've finally found success shaving with a double-edged razor. I found a razor handle and blades (both Muhle… happened to be on the shelf on sale at T.J. Maxx so I bought it on a whim) that work perfectly for me.

                          My question is for those of you who shave with DE (or similar) razors. What do you do with the used blades afterward? I know some razor brands come in packages that have a little disposal slot on the underside. The brand I've purchased doesn't seem to have that. I ended up just ordering a hazardous sharps disposal container online. I wonder if I'm missing something obvious? How else do you dispose of your used razor blades?
                          The obvious option is to just buy a house with one of these https://isarchitecture.com/seen-arou...ade-bank-slot/

                          Comment


                          • I put them in a steel can that is destined for recycling, then bend the top of the can over and smash it flat so the blades can’t get out. Then the whole thing goes in the recycling bin.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                              My question is for those of you who shave with DE (or similar) razors. What do you do with the used blades afterward? I know some razor brands come in packages that have a little disposal slot on the underside. The brand I've purchased doesn't seem to have that. I ended up just ordering a hazardous sharps disposal container online. I wonder if I'm missing something obvious? How else do you dispose of your used razor blades?
                              I have been using the plastic containers/holders that came with my blades. As you mentioned though you don't have that option and I am on my last plastic container. My plan is to go with an aluminum can that was destine for the recycling. Once full, I'll seal up the top so the blades can't get out. Won't look pretty, but will be functional.

                              Comment


                              • I admire you guys for your ingenuity but for $4 (they make ones for $2) and a capacity of 100 blades I'll splurge for the blade disposal case.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X