Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking at the Bonobos final sale sports coats, and like the look of this one, but not sure how versatile it is for wearing to work (i.e. with navy/gray/brown trousers):

The alternative would be one of these two, which seem a little too loud for work...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

• I prefer the first one, worn as shown. You could probably alternate shades of brown and blue, but I normally like the sport coat to be darker than the pants.

Comment

• Has anyone gotten a topcoat/overcoat tailored in the waist?

I have a few Spier and Mackay topcoats/polo coats that are a little big in the waist, and I'd like to slim them some. I assume this can be done just fine?

Comment

• Originally posted by JayS View Post
          I own AE Daltons in 10.5 E and they fit great. Just ordered Fifth Ave in 10.5 E and they fit like a vise. Wore for ten minutes and my feet still hurt 12 hrs later.

Anyone own both Daltons in 10.5 E and an AE 65 last shoe that’s comfortable? Or anyone suggest a conversion formula? Based on how it felt, thinking I need to go from 10.5 E to a 10 EEE... ?

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I have Daltons and Fifth Aves both in 10.5D, and while the Daltons feel a bit roomier, the Fifth Aves are still comfortable. How many times have you worn them? They do take some breaking in...

Comment

• Originally posted by Arête View Post
            Has anyone gotten a topcoat/overcoat tailored in the waist?

I have a few Spier and Mackay topcoats/polo coats that are a little big in the waist, and I'd like to slim them some. I assume this can be done just fine?
            I've done this with 2, since I look like Columbo in them OTR. I've done it with both a heavy wool topcoat and a lightweight wool raincoat.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnR View Post
              I've done this with 2, since I look like Columbo in them OTR. I've done it with both a heavy wool topcoat and a lightweight wool raincoat.
              Thanks man! I'll give it a shot then on mine. I have to order 46 because I have long arms, even though I'm really like a 44L. Unfortunately S&M doesn't sell L sizes in their coats.

Comment

• Originally posted by MIS997 View Post
                I have Daltons and Fifth Aves both in 10.5D, and while the Daltons feel a bit roomier, the Fifth Aves are still comfortable. How many times have you worn them? They do take some breaking in...
                I wore them for 15-20mins and my feet still hurt the next day. After talking with a couple of their CSRs I sent back and ordered a pair of 10 EE. They should arrive today so I’ll report back.

Comment

I wore them for 15-20mins and my feet still hurt the next day. After talking with a couple of their CSRs I sent back and ordered a pair of 10 EE. They should arrive today so I’ll report back.

Got the 10 EE and... still pretty narrow. Don’t feel too crazy uncomfortable but with a pretty wide V in the laces. Gonna try a 10 EEE. Guessing my shoe bank options are gonna be pretty limited going forward.

Comment

Got the 10 EE and... still pretty narrow. Don’t feel too crazy uncomfortable but with a pretty wide V in the laces. Gonna try a 10 EEE. Guessing my shoe bank options are gonna be pretty limited going forward.

Stuck with the 10 EE. The EEE has the same amount of V in the laces but felt weird around the rest of the foot, while the EE felt about right. I guess my foot is wide but also a little too tall to get the clean closed lace look in the AE 65 last. Anyone have the same issue and can suggest different AE lasts or different brands for taller feet? That’s... not a question I ever anticipated asking.

I don’t mind a bit of V in these since they’re pretty casual for oxfords.

Comment

Stuck with the 10 EE. The EEE has the same amount of V in the laces but felt weird around the rest of the foot, while the EE felt about right. I guess my foot is wide but also a little too tall to get the clean closed lace look in the AE 65 last. Anyone have the same issue and can suggest different AE lasts or different brands for taller feet? That’s... not a question I ever anticipated asking.

All my AE65 shoes fit with a "V". For whatever reason the Strands seem to have a wide V, while the dark browns have a very narrow V.

Comment

I'm a similarly wide-footed, high-instep guy, and I finally found the 201 last to be perfect. It's pretty roomy in the fore-foot, which works for me but you might need to drop a width size, but the vamp fits way better than the 65 last. Downside is it's not an especially common last other than the Independence line so your price point takes. jump, but sometimes you can find them for just slightly more than the regular lines (and the overall upgrade in quality is fantastic).

Comment

Both the 201 and the 64 lasts (which may be the same thing) are supposed to be based on the 65 last, but with a wider forefoot and a higher instep. They both work much better for my foot. Unfortunately, the 201 seems to be limited to the Independence Collection these days, and the 64 to the Speed Welt collection.

Comment

• Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
                            Both the 201 and the 64 lasts (which may be the same thing) are supposed to be based on the 65 last, but with a wider forefoot and a higher instep. They both work much better for my foot. Unfortunately, the 201 seems to be limited to the Independence Collection these days, and the 64 to the Speed Welt collection.
                            That’s helpful thank you. I don’t mind playing the wait for sales and seconds game. Not getting into the independence line otherwise.

Comment

• Looking to buy my first cardigan.

I've narrowed it down to two options (unless you have better alternatives).

The J.Crew Merino Wool Cardigan in size LT (~$60/70 on sale)
                              The Spier and Mackay Merino Wool Cardigan in XL. ($50)

I'm pretty tall (6'6") with long arms, so I want one that's long enough in both body and arms. I'm sure the J.Crew one would be since Tall stuff from them is usually very tall. However, I prefer S&M as a brand and am tempted to order their version (plus its a little cheaper).

Any thoughts? Also, if I do go with S&M, what color would you recommend? (The J.Crew only has navy in tall).

Comment

• What brands would you recommend for smart-casual but also fun workplace shirts. I teach at a private school that just unofficially relaxed its "always wear a tie" dress code, so I'm looking for shirts that are the smartest of casual. OCBD's are obviously a go-to. I'd like patterns but sometimes those can seem a little too casual. I have plenty of blazers so I expect to pair button-down collar shirts with blazers.

What brands would you recommend?

(this is maybe not that quick of a question).

Comment

Working...
                                X