Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a 'put this on'-type ebay search for quality ties?

Comment

I'm looking for a pair of tan, suede, wingtip oxfords with a traditional red buck sole. How impossible should these be to find? I saw someone wearing a pair the other day but didn't get a chance to ask what they were.

Comment

Originally posted by Jshackleford View Post
        I'm looking for a pair of tan, suede, wingtip oxfords with a traditional red buck sole. How impossible should these be to find? I saw someone wearing a pair the other day but didn't get a chance to ask what they were.
        IIRC, JCPenney used to have some Bass longwings like that. Not sure if they still do though. Here's a pic of (what I *think* is) the model:

Seems like you can find them at DSW too, along with possible a similar one by Florsheim and maybe Original Penguin too. I'd look for ya, but I gotsta spliiiiiiiit.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
          IIRC, JCPenney used to have some Bass longwings like that. Not sure if they still do though. Here's a pic of (what I *think* is) the model:

Seems like you can find them at DSW too, along with possible a similar one by Florsheim and maybe Original Penguin too. I'd look for ya, but I gotsta spliiiiiiiit.
          Those are really similar! The ones I saw had closed lacing and were a tad slimmer, but if I can't find something like that I'll probably end up with those.

Comment

Oh, sorry man. I overlooked your "oxford" preference. You should be able to find similar closed-laced options too, for sure from Florsheim. I had some grey suede "No String Wings" of theirs. Those had black soles, but I've seen them in tan suede with red/clay soles too.

Good luck!

Comment

Here's the Florsheim "No String Wing":

Seems like maybe [MENTION=3269]Shomas[/MENTION] had some of those too. Maybe?

Comment

the closed laces are usually more formal while suede is typically a little more casual. Might explain why that combo is tougher to find. Great shoe either way though if you ask me.
                Last edited by idvsego; June 24, 2014, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                  Here's the Florsheim "No String Wing":

Seems like maybe [MENTION=3269]Shomas[/MENTION] had some of those too. Maybe?
                  Yup. I have a pair of those in navy. They are worth every penny of the $50 I paid for them and not a penny more. They aren't going to last through much rough treatment, but they have their place.

Comment

Is there a good on-line source for socks that are a good value? I got some cheap ones at Uniqlo but on-line the colors are hard to view.

Basically I want like 20 pairs made up of Navy, light blue and grey blue socks in medium and light weights and I will call it a day. No more pants matching and no more brown socks.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                      the closed laces are usually more formal while suede is typically a little more casual. Might explain why that combo is tougher to find. Great shoe either way though if you ask me.
                      Agreed. I'd go with the blucher style myself, but to each his own. Plus I really like longwings.

Re the "No Strings": I did not keep my pair, as I went a different route with grey suede (J&M Headly plain toe bluchers). I'd say Shomas is spot on regarding the No Strings' worth vs price, though. And you most certainly can (and probably should) put some laces in them. They are not sewn shut or anything.

Comment

Yes, definitely put laces in them. They look silly otherwise.

Comment

Just got my BB ESF shirts in today. Not what I was hoping for... The neck, sleeves, chest, and waist were pretty big. I ordered a 16 36. I called and asked CS what the difference would be in the sleeves, chest and waist if I ordered a 15.5 36. They explained to me that the ESF is the same for all neck sizes in the chest, waist, and sleeves. That sounds ridiculous to me. I then asked(after some odd conversation) that a man with a 17.5 neck would wear the same chest as a guy with a 14.5 neck? She said yes. There is no way this can be right or am I an idiot. Have any of you tried on two sizes of a BB ESF before?

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
                            Just got my BB ESF shirts in today. Not what I was hoping for... The neck, sleeves, chest, and waist were pretty big. I ordered a 16 36. I called and asked CS what the difference would be in the sleeves, chest and waist if I ordered a 15.5 36. They explained to me that the ESF is the same for all neck sizes in the chest, waist, and sleeves. That sounds ridiculous to me. I then asked(after some odd conversation) that a man with a 17.5 neck would wear the same chest as a guy with a 14.5 neck? She said yes. There is no way this can be right or am I an idiot. Have any of you tried on two sizes of a BB ESF before?
                            that sounds ridiculous to me as well.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Non-Ir...os=2&cgid=0203 (sizing guide would suggest differently)

Comment

Yeah, there's no way that's right. ESF in a 16.5" neck was plenty roomy for me, but an ESF OCBD in medium fits nice and slim. I know it's not precisely apples to apples, but it would tend to contradict the idea that all ESF shirts have the same measurements.

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
                                I've worn both a 16/35 and 15.5/35 ESF and the 15.5 is more slim in the body, chest, and sleeve width down the length of the arms.

Comment

Working...
                                X