This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask a quick question, get an answer

I’m in court this morning for a case management conference, and there’s a lawyer here on another matter, who is wearing a really great suit that is tailored perfectly.

Maybe one of the best I’ve ever seen. Makes my BB suit look like a rag

Would it be weird to ask him who made his suit and who his tailor is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Ask a quick question, get an answer

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
      I’m in court this morning for a case management conference, and there’s a lawyer here on another matter, who is wearing a really great suit that is tailored perfectly.

Nope! I’d ask away.

Ps. Please share with us the maker of his suit.

Comment

Is it the suit or the tailoring that sets it apart most? I really feel that great tailoring is crucial. I'm a smedium so take quite a bit of my purchases to my tailor, just to get them to the right size. But he's so good that by the time he's finished, even something that I originally thought was the right size looks very different. He can make the cheapest stuff look great.

Comment

Originally posted by Rbirnie View Post
          Nope! I’d ask away.

Ps. Please share with us the maker of his suit.

Originally posted by JohnR View Post
          Is it the suit or the tailoring that sets it apart most? I really feel that great tailoring is crucial. I'm a smedium so take quite a bit of my purchases to my tailor, just to get them to the right size. But he's so good that by the time he's finished, even something that I originally thought was the right size looks very different. He can make the cheapest stuff look great.
          I didn't ask. I felt too weird.

Funny thing was that he was wearing this amazing suit, guy probably mid-40's, and then I noticed that instead of a sharp briefcase, he had a backpack. I thought that was strange.

Comment

I didn't ask. I felt too weird.

Funny thing was that he was wearing this amazing suit, guy probably mid-40's, and then I noticed that instead of a sharp briefcase, he had a backpack. I thought that was strange.
            I always cringe when I see that, too. It's a "one of these things is not like the other" moment. I carry a nice over-the-shoulder Tumi but when I travel, I did find myself wanting a backpack occasionally. I found a sharp looking Briggs & Riley that I felt matched up with the rest of my ensemble. Yet I still can't help but think, "I'm all dressed up but I'm carrying a backpack. Feels weird".

Comment

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice\guidance on replacements for my current brown leather chukka boots.
              -Brown leather (not burnished, not too dressy or shiny, something that can take a bit of a beating-pebbled is fine, not suede)
              -resoleable
              -leather or rubber soles
              -At least 3 eyelets (so not a true chukka I guess) but no more than 5
              -toe shape and lines that make them nice enough to wear dressy casual
              -plain toe (no caps or perforations)
              -luckily can say price is not a concern

I'm having a heck of a time finding what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by BoM View Post
                Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice\guidance on replacements for my current brown leather chukka boots.
                -Brown leather (not burnished, not too dressy or shiny, something that can take a bit of a beating-pebbled is fine, not suede)
                -resoleable
                -leather or rubber soles

Thanks in advance.
                Herring may have some pairs that fit your bill. They have several with three eyelets, which isn't common.

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/searc...keyword_search

Comment

-resoleable
                  -leather or rubber soles

Thanks in advance.
                  Did you see these from AE?

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...chukka&start=1

Carmina will probably make these for you in brown instead of burgundy, with their customization program:

https://www.carminashoemaker.us/mens...n-burgundy-905

Oh yes, start here for Carmina; you will get exactly what you want:

https://www.carminashoemaker.us/cust...ts/product2459

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. I had never heard of Carmina, very cool to be able to customize to that level. It would be nice to find some that I could try in person before buying. Shoes fit my right foot much different than my left (old injury). Loake has a few that seem like they would fit the bill, not super easy to get access in person though.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. I had never heard of Carmina, very cool to be able to customize to that level. It would be nice to find some that I could try in person before buying. Shoes fit my right foot much different than my left (old injury). Loake has a few that seem like they would fit the bill, not super easy to get access in person though.
                      Not sure where you are, but Carmina has a store in NYC:

45e E 45th St, New York, NY 10017

Given the prices they charge for customized shoes, I'm sure they would be helpful on the phone as well.

Also, I think they carry them at Barney's in New York, San Francisco, and Beverly Hills.

https://www.carminashoemaker.us/store-locator

Oops . . . my bad. Barney's is going out of business. They have some other US locations if you follow the link.
                      Last edited by mebejoseph; January 18, 2020, 12:21 PM.

Comment

-resoleable
                        -leather or rubber soles

Thanks in advance.
                        I love shopping for shoes on the internet, so here are a few more pairs I've found that more or less fit your description:

https://www.cobbler-union.com/collec...eum-brown-soho

Highly recommend Cobbler Union shoes.

https://www.shoepassion.com/mens-boots/no-601.html

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...chukka&start=1

https://meermin.com/in_en/1014681617...-e-marron.html

https://meermin.com/in_en/1014681120...alf-g-oak.html

https://www.jackerwin.com/collection...12411168161878

https://www.magnanni.com/shoes/boots/mundo-brown.html

Comment

This may seem like a dumb question, but Pearl & Co shoes for BB are in US, not UK sizes right?

Comment

I own AE Daltons in 10.5 E and they fit great. Just ordered Fifth Ave in 10.5 E and they fit like a vise. Wore for ten minutes and my feet still hurt 12 hrs later.

Anyone own both Daltons in 10.5 E and an AE 65 last shoe that’s comfortable? Or anyone suggest a conversion formula? Based on how it felt, thinking I need to go from 10.5 E to a 10 EEE... ?

Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                              This may seem like a dumb question, but Pearl & Co shoes for BB are in US, not UK sizes right?
                              Yea they are US size. Don't know if Peal are still made by C&J though.

Originally posted by JayS View Post
                              I own AE Daltons in 10.5 E and they fit great. Just ordered Fifth Ave in 10.5 E and they fit like a vise. Wore for ten minutes and my feet still hurt 12 hrs later.

Anyone own both Daltons in 10.5 E and an AE 65 last shoe that’s comfortable? Or anyone suggest a conversion formula? Based on how it felt, thinking I need to go from 10.5 E to a 10 EEE... ?

Thanks all!

Daltons are on the 511 last which is wider than the 65 last. I have heard of people sizing down then up a width but I did not do that so am not much of a help.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with the technical suits from Ministry of Supply? I am intrigued by the technical fabrics and was hoping to get a Dappered review before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X