Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to a black tie optional wedding next month, and don't own a tux. Charcoal suit seems like the best option, but should I go with white shirt + plain black tie + white square (to look as similar as possible to actual black tie), or something a little less boring (e.g. navy tie, square with a bit of color)?

(I'm over-thinking this, but that's what Dappered is for, right?)

Comment

Going to be raging at a tailgate this weekend. I plan on wearing slimfit jeans, but not sure which shoes to wear. Whatever I wear will ultimately take a beating. I want to be comfortable, look good, and have shoes that can be cleaned up. Any suggestions? I have a lot of styles of shoes, and money is not a huge issue on what to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
        I'm going to a black tie optional wedding next month, and don't own a tux. Charcoal suit seems like the best option, but should I go with white shirt + plain black tie + white square (to look as similar as possible to actual black tie), or something a little less boring (e.g. navy tie, square with a bit of color)?

Do you already have specific ties in mind? I think that you could get away with a dark solid tie. Especially, if that's what you already have. Of course, even solid black tie covers a variety of ties.

Comment

Really it comes down to how close to black tie you want to be. Obviously I don't know the crowd so could be wrong about this but, it's a virtual certainty that the men's attire at the wedding will range from business casual to a couple of guys in a tux. Unless this is a particularly posh crowd, you're unlikely to not fit in. Most likely, if you're wearing a charcoal suit, you'll be in the top 10-20% best dressed men there, regardless of the tie you select.

Having said that... I go to a BTO event every year and am pretty close to the guys who put it on. We're at the same table, etc... but I don't own a tux. So, out of respect for them, I wear my dark suit with a vest, white shirt, black tie, and white pocket square. It fits quite well with the rest of the gang.

Comment

what do you guys think about this suit jacket as a sport coat separate? They have it in pics as a seperate and i think they used to sell it as sport coat

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...ame=light-grey

Comment

Originally posted by ncf05 View Post
              what do you guys think about this suit jacket as a sport coat separate? They have it in pics as a seperate and i think they used to sell it as sport coat

Hard to tell from the pics then video. It looks casual enough and is cotton but for some reason it looks more suit jacket than sport coat.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                Hard to tell from the pics then video. It looks casual enough and is cotton but for some reason it looks more suit jacket than sport coat.
                ya, j crew has gone thru this tough trend where i feel like they are making alot of in between stuff. like suit jackets that they make casual enough to also be a blazer. and less straight blazers/sportcoats

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR View Post
                  Really it comes down to how close to black tie you want to be. Obviously I don't know the crowd so could be wrong about this but, it's a virtual certainty that the men's attire at the wedding will range from business casual to a couple of guys in a tux. Unless this is a particularly posh crowd, you're unlikely to not fit in. Most likely, if you're wearing a charcoal suit, you'll be in the top 10-20% best dressed men there, regardless of the tie you select.
                  Yeah, this seems accurate - I'm not worried about being underdressed just because I'm wearing a non-black tie. More just wondering what people think would look good. But as you point out, at the end of the day (night) it doesn't matter that much.

Comment

I own this (in cotton/linen rather than cotton/spandex) and frequently wear it as a sports coat in the summer. The fabric prevents it from looking too much like a mismatched suit jacket.

Comment

I'd say this works. I don't know if I'd deviate much or worry about being plain. Chances are you'll be better dressed than most of the men there anyway.

Comment

I own this (in cotton/linen rather than cotton/spandex) and frequently wear it as a sports coat in the summer. The fabric prevents it from looking too much like a mismatched suit jacket.
                        How does it look in person? I had a cotton one that i outgrew in mid blue that i loved. But, ive also seen some of their cotton blends look quite cheap.

Do you think if im wearing an overcoat, i could also still pull this off during cooler temperatures? I live in chicago and we have like 3 month summers

Comment

I think it looks good (or I wouldn't wear it, haha) - the fact that it's linen blend means that the slight rumpling looks good rather than bad (and makes it work a little better as a sports coat).

Not sure about overcoat; I've never owned one. It's a pretty good deal as a summer suit for around $200 though, even if you aren't wearing it as a sports coat.

Comment

im looking for a cheap camel blazer? is this one too old fashioned as by the lapels? its a 30 dollar buy off ebay that id plan to wear to work during the cold chicago months

https://imgur.com/a/qHCMrji

Comment

im looking for a cheap camel blazer? is this one too old fashioned as by the lapels? its a 30 dollar buy off ebay that id plan to wear to work during the cold chicago months

looks okay from here. pockets cause it to be a little more formal than patch pockets would, but that's the only observation I have. Lapels seem fine to me.
                              https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

In the listing are there any close ups. From a distance it looks like it was worn a lot so you wouldn't want bald spots or anything of that nature.

Comment

Working...
                                X