This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dangerpenguin View Post
    Unstructured and the fabric looks somewhat textured so probably just fine. Suit jackets are typically a little longer/more traditional with details than sport coats. Might consider sizing down one or going R if you're normally L in length if it doesn't seem to match up well with wearing casual.

Edit to add: it looks textured in the pictures at least but that could just be my eyes. I just saw [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION]'s reply. If it has any smoothness or sheen to it IRL then I would avoid for sure.
    https://imgur.com/a/k6CSvIL

here is the pic I took in person. it looks like it has no sheen as its more wooly. but if its going to be a meh look or questionable. id rather hold off.

it did catch my eye in person tho

Comment

Originally posted by ncf05 View Post

here is the pic I took in person. it looks like it has no sheen as its more wooly. but if its going to be a meh look or questionable. id rather hold off.

Good call holding off. That doesn't look good.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
        Good call holding off. That doesn't look good.
        so I was at jcrew this weekend and saw this suit jacket paird on top of jeans and liked it. but im always worried about using suit jackets as seperates. thoughts?

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...lue-windowpane
        Funny--I guess it goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

When I saw the first picture, I thought, "no way with jeans."

But when I saw the second picture, I think it looks pretty good.

So, no accounting for taste, I guess.
        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
          Funny--I guess it goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

When I saw the first picture, I thought, "no way with jeans."

But when I saw the second picture, I think it looks pretty good.

So, no accounting for taste, I guess.
          haha, I thought it looked good in person. But, online it looked like it would match horrible with jeans. which is what has given me pause.

part of the issue is that j crew has cut back on having as many "blazers" as they used to and now brand things as suit seperates

Comment

Originally posted by andrewrg View Post
            I'm pretty happy with Macy's house brand Geoffrey Beene for dress shirts (fitted) and Uniqlo for Oxford shirts (slim fit). Both are cheap ($30-40). the Geoffrey Beene shirts are very thin. Both are long enough to stay tucked for me. I'm 5'11" and 185lbs. I usually wear size large for Uniqlo and 16.5 x 35 for Geoffrey Beene.
            I was looking at Uniqlo, most of their shirts look like one can't tuck them in. Which option do you have?

Comment

How practical/expensive do you all think it would be to get an overcoat/topcoat taken in on the sides? I'm a pretty skinny guy and am having trouble finding one that isn't super baggy on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
                How practical/expensive do you all think it would be to get an overcoat/topcoat taken in on the sides? I'm a pretty skinny guy and am having trouble finding one that isn't super baggy on me.
                It shouldn't be too expensive. I would guess about $50.

Comment

What is this loop on the back of my overcoat and what is its purpose?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know for sure, but I assumed it is supposed to tighten the coat around the waist, creating a taper. Similar to if you had a belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulex View Post
                      What is this loop on the back of my overcoat and what is its purpose?

I can't find where I read it, but back when coats like this were military issue, it held the coat together and acted as a handle when it was folded up and carried by the soldier. Don't remember the details, but that's the gist of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                        I can't find where I read it, but back when coats like this were military issue, it held the coat together and acted as a handle when it was folded up and carried by the soldier. Don't remember the details, but that's the gist of it.
                        That makes sense. Many thanks. This is a 1980s (I believe) Bulgarian Air Force issue overcoat, so it makes sense to have something common with military outerwear.

Comment

It also keeps the extra fabric (necessary for a greater range of movement) under control. You can't be particularly active in a Chesterfield-style topcoat.

Comment

Sanity check

Always been a “matching leathers” kind of dresser. But today I’m wearing tan suede bluchers with a smooth dark brown leather belt.

Someone please remind me this is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bernanke View Post
                              Always been a “matching leathers” kind of dresser. But today I’m wearing tan suede bluchers with a smooth dark brown leather belt.

Someone please remind me this is fine.
                              You'll be fine. Nobody but you has noticed.

Comment

The horror, the horror!
                                Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X