This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lukemck View Post
    Need some Allen Edmonds quality control. Just purchased a pair of first quality 5th Aves. There is significant staining on the tongue under each eyelet. The sole has signs of wear along the toe. Is this expected or should I send them back for a different pair? Seems like one shoe is pristine and the other has the problems.
    They don't sound first quality to me. The sole should not have any signs of wear in my opinion. I would probably overlook discolorations that you can't see when the shoe is laced. Heck, I have a pair in walnut that had a little discoloration on one of the toes, but after a few polishings and wearings, I'm the only one who can see it. I pointed it out to a friend yesterday and he claimed he couldn't anyways.

Hats off to the New Allen Edmonds!
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Do these boots and pants go together? I'm having a hard time with what color to wear with burgundy pants.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think those are okay. Blue suede would look good.
        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by Wes View Post
          Do these boots and pants go together? I'm having a hard time with what color to wear with burgundy pants.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          Looks nice to me. What pants are those?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
            I think those are okay. Blue suede would look good.
            Yeah I would normally wear them with grey suede wingtips, but it's cold as hell out.

Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
            Looks nice to me. What pants are those?
            slim fit Goodfellow chinos I found in the clearance section back in the spring - boots are AE Daltons

Comment

Originally posted by Wes View Post
              Yeah I would normally wear them with grey suede wingtips, but it's cold as hell out.

slim fit Goodfellow chinos I found in the clearance section back in the spring - boots are AE Daltons
              Nice. They look good. Those Dalton's definitely are something, though.

Comment

Thanks! I'm trying to get away from my standard chippewa service boots and levi 511s autumn standby.

Comment

Shoe recrafting

I have found a pair of Allen Edmond Strands at a consignment shop for $27. They have been to a cobbler for repair. Do you think Allen Edmonds can recraft them? Looks like they have had new soles. Any tips what I should look for to determine condition issues?

Comment

I know that this question has been asked many times on this forum, but I have some slightly specific parameters in mind so figured it was worth asking again.

I'm trying to expand my tie selection beyond the standard navy and burgundy (I wear a tie maybe half a dozen times a year so haven't really needed to buy more than a handful so far). Looking for colors that would work with your standard navy/charcoal suit + white/blue shirt combinations. I'd also prefer to avoid anything that's too bright or patterned (stripes or dots are fine though).

What would be the most versatile colors? How about something like this: https://www.thetiebar.com/product/32465

Or this? https://www.thetiebar.com/product/TIE-1330-0279

Comment

Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
                      What would be the most versatile colors?
                      That's a summer tie, so it's not especially versatile. Are your going for a preppy, Southern-trad look? Tie trends are more muted right now, so you might consider a darker green.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukemck View Post
                        Need some Allen Edmonds quality control. Just purchased a pair of first quality 5th Aves. There is significant staining on the tongue under each eyelet. The sole has signs of wear along the toe. Is this expected or should I send them back for a different pair? Seems like one shoe is pristine and the other has the problems.
                        Some photos would help with providing some input/decision.

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
                          That's a summer tie, so it's not especially versatile. Are your going for a preppy, Southern-trad look? Tie trends are more muted right now, so you might consider a darker green.
                          I'm going for a relatively-conservative-but-not-boring look, as opposed to my current conservative-but-boring look (e.g. solid navy or burgundy), so was trying to avoid for example a solid dark green (not that I'm stuck on green in particular). Point taken about the brighter green/linen blend not being that versatile.

Comment

Waxed cotton jackets: Is this something that can melt or weep out of the jacket if you leave it in a hot car?
                            I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Martigan View Post
                              Waxed cotton jackets: Is this something that can melt or weep out of the jacket if you leave it in a hot car?
                              I can see it potentially happening if you were to do it in the dead of summer down south but I'm not really sure why you would be wearing a waxed cotton jacket if its that hot out. I have heard that sometimes waxed cotton can rub off on leather seats and cause discoloration but that is very rare from what I've seen.

Comment

Is there a database of label codes for designers? I think I recall seeing something like that on one of the SF threads. There is a sport coat on eBay that I'm considering, but I want to see if I can figure out what year it was made. There is a picture of the label on the inside with something like "Art. Col. 100960-2691" and I'm wondering if I can find out more by decoding those numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X