Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got a new sea blue/slate blue suit (not navy or a bright royal blue). The color is similar to the link below but mine is a two piece. I'm having a hard time figuring out what color tie to wear with it. I have an social event coming up and I'm planning to wear it with a plain white shirt and need to figure out a tie. I was considering Navy with white micro dot or maybe a solid grenadine if I can figure out a good color. Any ideas?

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...refv1=Hartford

Comment

Originally posted by dcer10 View Post
      I just got a new sea blue/slate blue suit (not navy or a bright royal blue). The color is similar to the link below but mine is a two piece. I'm having a hard time figuring out what color tie to wear with it. I have an social event coming up and I'm planning to wear it with a plain white shirt and need to figure out a tie. I was considering Navy with white micro dot or maybe a solid grenadine if I can figure out a good color. Any ideas?

Wow! Nice suit! With a plain white shirt you could wear almost any color tie with that suit, as well as almost any pattern.

What type of social event? Do you want to stand out or blend it? What color are your shoes/belt?

If you want to peacock a little, I would go with something other than another blue for a tie. A coral/salmon color would really pop with that suit--if you found one with a coral/salmon or even a pink background, but had a pattern that included the suit color, that would look very sharp; lavender/purple as well.

But you really couldn't go wrong with almost any color/pattern because you're wearing two solid colors that compliment almost all other colors. Me personally, I would avoid dark browns, but that's just because I'm not a huge fan of dark brown and light blue together.
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

The complementary color is orange (or yellow). I would mix in a little blue to tie it all together, like this, but many colors would work.

Comment

Originally posted by mastakebob View Post
          I inherited two Trachten Janker coats similar to https://www.lodenfrey.com/en/Sandber...nker-LF-8.html. Any advice on how to wear them so I dont look like I'm going to Oktoberfest?
          We have a couple of these from my wife's grandfather. We do not wear them outside of, as you stated, our annual Oktoberfest party since they are more in remembrance of him. If I were going to wear something more frequently, I feel like you could wear it unbuttoned like a casual jacket. Seems like it would work well. My wife's grandfather always wore them buttoned all the way up which I feel like is the only other way to wear it, totally unbuttoned or all the way up. In between could look odd though some people pull off one button of the French chore coats buttoned.

As others have stated, almost anything would work. The only thing I would advise against would be a satin tie of any color. Satin is a formal fabric for ties. I really like this light green tie I have that would work well with this. Dark brown could work but since it is a social event, have some fun and add some color!

Comment

Yes or no with a charcoal suit? (And probably with a white shirt and black shoes.)

https://www.beckettrobb.com/collecti...ulard-silk-tie

Comment

I want to say yes but I feel like there is a slight risk the olive of the tie will look too close-but-not-quite-right against charcoal. I would want to see the combo in person, and particularly, to see if the green of the tie is more evident than it appears on my screen.

I think a navy suit would be a safer bet with this tie.
              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                I want to say yes but I feel like there is a slight risk the olive of the tie will look too close-but-not-quite-right against charcoal. I would want to see the combo in person, and particularly, to see if the green of the tie is more evident than it appears on my screen.

I think a navy suit would be a safer bet with this tie.
                Yes to seeing the combo in person to be sure.

And yes to navy suit as well.
                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Thanks, [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17354]mebejoseph[/MENTION]. I agree that the tie would look good with navy. I'll be at the shop with the charcoal suit tonight; if they have the tie in stock, I'll see how the combo looks in person.

Comment

Can anybody recognize this shirt or where it might have come from?

Comment

Hi all, new to the forum and new to worrying about my look.

So, to cut to the chase, I was buying a cheap suit (j ferrar) for my new job (sales rep at cellular sales) and was getting feedback from my gf of 3 years. She really liked some shoes I was on the fence about. Those shoes...are these. Well she sold me on them.
                      Now I've worn them to both interviews and got the job. Matter of fact my regional manager complimented my attire as it does fit well. Though I doubt he saw the shoes and the more I look at them the more I hate them. From "go buy some oxford cap toe shoes" to "it's not that bad" how bad is it? My first day is tomorrow.

Comment

what do you guys think of this boot from taft? i think its their dylan boot

https://imgur.com/a/Tz77H9Y

im split on it

Comment

Originally posted by ncf05 View Post
                          what do you guys think of this boot from taft? i think its their dylan boot

https://imgur.com/a/Tz77H9Y

im split on it
                          I've always been kind of interested in jodphurs, too, but don't think I'd really be able to pull it off. Also especially because that style has been co-opted by women's fashion so it seems more feminine now

Comment

Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
                            I've always been kind of interested in jodphurs, too, but don't think I'd really be able to pull it off. Also especially because that style has been co-opted by women's fashion so it seems more feminine now
                            yeah, normally, i feel like if the shoe isnt a "fuck yes" type of purchase, then its not worth buying as id never wear it. and thats how im leaning on this... even though i can get them on a great discount.

Comment

Does Bonobos ever have > 20% sales? Need to pick up a couple of items from there and not sure how long to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
                                Originally posted by ncf05 View Post
                                yeah, normally, i feel like if the shoe isnt a "fuck yes" type of purchase, then its not worth buying as id never wear it. and thats how im leaning on this... even though i can get them on a great discount.
                                I have found Jodphurs odd when on the feet. They crease weird and just don't feel totally secure. I am a fan of Chelsea's though.

Comment

Working...
                                X