This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Well, here it is, then--it's a hidden button to use in case you lose your cuff link. For example, say you're a well-undressed gentleman caught in flagrante delicto, and you need to make a hasty exit, you may neglect to retrieve a cuff link. You wouldn't want to walk around with your cuffs flapping about, would you?

http://tmlewin-blog.com/2016/07/t-m-...-knew-existed/

(scroll down to see the explanation)

If it's only on one sleeve, it seems that one button is missing.
    Well dang.

Thank you for that. I looked on the site for their different types of cuffs, but found nothing.

Comment

• I'm looking for something to wear to a smart casual cocktail hour (the day before a wedding) outdoors in Spain in early October. I think the temperature will be 60-70s probably. Was thinking about something like the tan blazer ("Sandy Dune" color) in the link below with dark blue jeans or navy trousers and a white shirt. Thoughts/opinions on that combination?

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...dium=affiliate

Comment

• Are the other attendees Spanish or...? I feel like if they're Americans, then a tan blazer with jeans is probably fine for "smart casual cocktails," but I have a vague sense that tan with denim might not cut it if the crowd is more European. If in doubt I would go with a more traditional, dark-colored jacket and some kind of non-denim trouser. Linen, silk, and blends are always a great option to keep things light and summery while still keeping the option of a more conservative color palette.
        Last edited by LesserBlackDog; June 6, 2018, 11:35 AM.
        Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          Are the other attendees Spanish or...? I feel like if they're Americans, then a tan blazer with jeans is probably fine for "smart casual cocktails," but I have a vague sense that tan with denim might not cut it if the crowd is more European. If in doubt I would go with a more traditional, dark-colored jacket and some kind of non-denim trouser.
          I would agree except for a dark jacket. In my limited experience with people from Spain, it would appear the general style is lighter-colored jackets. For example, my first taste of someone wearing a "Spanish blue" suit was a visiting professor from Spain.

Comment

• Thanks for the advice. It'll mainly be Americans. I had been thinking about a standard navy blazer but kind of wanted to mix it up a bit and thought a tan or a lighter color like that would work well since it's in Spain. It's also a weird time of year, early October, which is right on the line between summer and fall, so I'm not really sure whether a summer or fall look would be better. I thought the wool/cotton tan blazer kind of straddled that line.

Comment

• Originally posted by dcer10 View Post
              I'm looking for something to wear to a smart casual cocktail hour (the day before a wedding) outdoors in Spain in early October. I think the temperature will be 60-70s probably. Was thinking about something like the tan blazer ("Sandy Dune" color) in the link below with dark blue jeans or navy trousers and a white shirt. Thoughts/opinions on that combination?

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...dium=affiliate
              At that temperature, I would be cold in that jacket, and want something lined--but I'm used to So.Cal.'s climate. At any rate, in regard to the jeans, I think most websites and stylists would advise against blue jeans for cocktail hour if you want to be considered appropriately dressed. That doesn't mean other people won't be wearing them, so you won't likely be out of place if you do.

Me personally, I would probably do a dark blazer and wool dress trousers with a light colored shirt. But I'm almost 60. If you're younger, you might feel comfortable more casual.
              WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

• Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                At that temperature, I would be cold in that jacket, and want something lined--but I'm used to So.Cal.'s climate. At any rate, in regard to the jeans, I think most websites and stylists would advise against blue jeans for cocktail hour if you want to be considered appropriately dressed. That doesn't mean other people won't be wearing them, so you won't likely be out of place if you do.

Me personally, I would probably do a dark blazer and wool dress trousers with a light colored shirt. But I'm almost 60. If you're younger, you might feel comfortable more casual.
                I agree with the above advice (and am only age 33). Cocktail hour for a wedding means at a minimum chinos or dressier slacks (linen, if you're so inclined could be ok given outdoors/beach). Agree there may also be folks in jeans, but that I wouldn't want to be one of them personally and risk being one of the few potentially underdressed in case they meant higher end of smart casual.

Comment

• Originally posted by dcer10 View Post
                  Thanks for the advice. It'll mainly be Americans. I had been thinking about a standard navy blazer but kind of wanted to mix it up a bit and thought a tan or a lighter color like that would work well since it's in Spain. It's also a weird time of year, early October, which is right on the line between summer and fall, so I'm not really sure whether a summer or fall look would be better. I thought the wool/cotton tan blazer kind of straddled that line.
                  I would try olive pants.

Comment

• I like the jacket you referenced. It’s almost a warm weather camel blazer. Paired with navy pants, it could be a very sharp look.

Comment

• Hey everyone,
                      Charles Tyrwhitt has once again peaked my interest as I am waiting for back ordered shirts from S&M.

I am currently looking at the cotton/linen blend they have. Does anyone have this and can comment on if it would be okay to wear with a Suit Supply Wool suit as I just purchased a few more of those for summer. I’ve always had 100% cotton shirts in semi-spread, so a shirt that is cotton/linen and a spread collar is weird to me as i don’t know if I can wear it with a tie and I don’t know if a spread collar will look good without a tie.
                      Link to one shirt>
                      https://www.ctshirts.com/us/slim-fit...uffType=Single

Comment

• I've been getting into leather working recently, and I've decided a longer term project will be to make a watch strap to match my Bourbon Strands. Would I be able to achieve that color by using Bourbon shoe polish on an undyed piece of leather?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                          I've been getting into leather working recently, and I've decided a longer term project will be to make a watch strap to match my Bourbon Strands. Would I be able to achieve that color by using Bourbon shoe polish on an undyed piece of leather?
                          My understanding and experience is that shoe cream does a better job of transferring color to shoes because shoe polish has a higher wax content and the wax doesn't soak into the leather like the cream.

But I don't know about working with raw leather. Why not give it a try? Less that $10 for some shoe cream or polish.

Comment

I've been getting into leather working recently, and I've decided a longer term project will be to make a watch strap to match my Bourbon Strands. Would I be able to achieve that color by using Bourbon shoe polish on an undyed piece of leather?
                            Yes. Shoemakers who work with crust leather basically get the patina through a combination of creams and waxes. My guess is that you'll need a wider variety of colors than just bourbon shoe cream in order to get an end result that has depth of color.
                            Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post
                              Yes. Shoemakers who work with crust leather basically get the patina through a combination of creams and waxes. My guess is that you'll need a wider variety of colors than just bourbon shoe cream in order to get an end result that has depth of color.
                              [MENTION=12827]Rocco[/MENTION] : I was reading Justin Fitzpatricks's shoe blog just now and stumbled on to his tips on DIY dying of shoes. I think you might find it helpful for your watch band:

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2017/...own-shoes.html

Comment

• I inherited two Trachten Janker coats similar to https://www.lodenfrey.com/en/Sandber...nker-LF-8.html. Any advice on how to wear them so I dont look like I'm going to Oktoberfest?

Comment

Working...
                                X