Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 5'6" and thin/athletic. Can I wear this shirt or will it wear me?

https://propercloth.com/dress-shirts...mart-size-id=2

Comment

Hello! I recently purchased a navy tuxedo for a black tie event, and am trying to decide what shoes to wear. It's a pretty formal event, but I've never been a big fan of patent leather. Would black suede or velvet work with a navy tux, and, if so, does anyone have specific recommendations? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by wbp2105 View Post
        Hello! I recently purchased a navy tuxedo for a black tie event, and am trying to decide what shoes to wear. It's a pretty formal event, but I've never been a big fan of patent leather. Would black suede or velvet work with a navy tux, and, if so, does anyone have specific recommendations? Thanks!
        If you don't want to do patent leather, and you have black oxfords in good shape, and you can get them nice and shiny, you can wear those (see photo of mine, below).

According to the "rules", velvet tux/smoking "slippers" are generally acceptable if you're in a home but not at a hotel or someone else's club, etc. But if you feel comfortable breaking this archaic rule, go for it.

I've also read that bit loafers can be worn with a tux, but I just don't see that. Think more dressy, not drivers with bits.

Have fun!

WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by wbp2105 View Post
          Yes they would, as much as a navy tux is appropriate for the same. Recos are highly dependent on how much you want to spend. Tux loafers get pricey fast if you want quality/name brand. E.g., Stubbs & Wooton, Duke & Dexter.

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
          If you don't want to do patent leather, and you have black oxfords in good shape, and you can get them nice and shiny, you can wear those (see photo of mine, below).

According to the "rules", velvet tux/smoking "slippers" are generally acceptable if you're in a home but not at a hotel or someone else's club, etc. But if you feel comfortable breaking this archaic rule, go for it.

I've also read that bit loafers can be worn with a tux, but I just don't see that. Think more dressy, not drivers with bits.

Have fun!
          If you're offering up shined up calf as an alternative, I think it's safe to say tux loafers/slippers will work just fine.

Bit loafers with a tux is weird, never heard that before. IMO they barely work with a suit and tie (and I own/wear bit loafers, just know they are in fact a more casual shoe regardless of how people treat them).

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
            Yes they would, as much as a navy tux is appropriate for the same. Recos are highly dependent on how much you want to spend. Tux loafers get pricey fast if you want quality/name brand. E.g., Stubbs & Wooton, Duke & Dexter.

If you're offering up shined up calf as an alternative, I think it's safe to say tux loafers/slippers will work just fine.

Bit loafers with a tux is weird, never heard that before. IMO they barely work with a suit and tie (and I own/wear bit loafers, just know they are in fact a more casual shoe regardless of how people treat them).
            On the bit loafers, yes, my thoughts are the same as yours, but in a number of places I have read that they are sometimes appropriate, for just one example:

http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com...wear-a-tuxedo/ (see #17).

I did some research on this and it dates back to bit loafers introduced by Gucci as being "the" shoe of high-powered NY lawyers and wall street types in the '70's.

Also, you can get velvet loafers on the cheap if you look around. You will NOT get quality, but most people won't notice. You can get them in two days from Amazon. I recently picked some up from DSW for about $50--but they are for a costume, and I put big purple tassels on them--so, not recommending them, just saying you can them cheap if you like.

As for me, I have patent leather tux loafers, with a ribbon across the vamp--they are pretty common at the black tie events I go to in LA, but even more people wear black oxfords, believe it or not (maybe thrice a year).

Also, one more option is a black whole cut, highly polished. I think they can look very formal.

Comment

On the bit loafers, yes, my thoughts are the same as yours, but in a number of places I have read that they are sometimes appropriate, for just one example:

http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com...wear-a-tuxedo/ (see #17).

I did some research on this and it dates back to bit loafers introduced by Gucci as being "the" shoe of high-powered NY lawyers and wall street types in the '70's.

Also, you can get velvet loafers on the cheap if you look around. You will NOT get quality, but most people won't notice. You can get them in two days from Amazon. I recently picked some up from DSW for about $50--but they are for a costume, and I put big purple tassels on them--so, not recommending them, just saying you can them cheap if you like.

As for me, I have patent leather tux loafers, with a ribbon across the vamp--they are pretty common at the black tie events I go to in LA, but even more people wear black oxfords, believe it or not (maybe thrice a year).

Also, one more option is a black whole cut, highly polished. I think they can look very formal.
              Guess it's good I'm a NY lawyer then!

Agree on the above, except quoting that website. Guy sounds like a complete a-hole, and is self-contradictory on many occasions on his list (will admit some of his list is spot on though). He's also hawking Lilly Pulitzer suspenders on his site... so not sure I'd call him a beacon of pure tradition despite how he's trying to come off in his list.

Patent tux / velvet loafers (sans any gaudy logos or designs) will work for just about any use of a tuxedo that 99.999% of the world goes to. Someone making a big deal out of one wearing those--or frankly even well polished cap toe or whole cuts--is just unnecessarily being a dick.

Comment

I have this French cuff shirt and it has a regular button on the cuff. What is it for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Orient Polaris leather strap replacement/alternative

I've heard great things about the Polaris ... except for the strap. Any recommendations for where to buy a great leather strap for a dress watch with a deployant clasp?

Comment

Originally posted by Sose View Post
                    I have this French cuff shirt and it has a regular button on the cuff. What is it for?
                    Isn't it so that you can use the shirt without cufflinks?

Comment

Isn't it so that you can use the shirt without cufflinks?
                      It’s just one button though. I wouldn’t know how to make it work without cuff links.

I’m not sure what the point is of the button there.

Comment

It’s just one button though. I wouldn’t know how to make it work without cuff links.

I’m not sure what the point is of the button there.

Unless my spacial reasoning is off, flip the shirt cuff down like you were going to use cufflinks, then the button should be in the position to feed through the buttonholes same as a cufflink would.

Unless you're saying it's only on one sleeve, then I've got nothing...

Comment

Unless my spacial reasoning is off, flip the shirt cuff down like you were going to use cufflinks, then the button should be in the position to feed through the buttonholes same as a cufflink would.

Unless you're saying it's only on one sleeve, then I've got nothing...
                          Yeah, it’s only on one sleeve - sorry I wasn’t clear.

Comment

Interesting--I'm curious about this--who made it?

Comment

Interesting--I'm curious about this--who made it?
                              TM Lewin

Comment

TM Lewin

Well, here it is, then--it's a hidden button to use in case you lose your cuff link. For example, say you're a well-undressed gentleman caught in flagrante delicto, and you need to make a hasty exit, you may neglect to retrieve a cuff link. You wouldn't want to walk around with your cuffs flapping about, would you?

http://tmlewin-blog.com/2016/07/t-m-...-knew-existed/

(scroll down to see the explanation)

If it's only on one sleeve, it seems that one button is missing.

Comment

Working...
                                X