This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
    Yes, light grey undershirts are not visible underneath white fabric.
    This. I switched to all gray v-necks about a year ago from Threads recommendations and have not had any issues. Hanes has some decent heathered gray v-necks available at Target for around $12 for a two-pack. You have to buy in store though because they also have a more charcoal gray version and I think when browsing online and looking at store availability it does not differentiate between the two versions.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. Are the uniqlo shirts ever drop in price or have promos?

Comment

Please read: Should I wear an undershirt?

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
          Thanks for the recommendations. Are the uniqlo shirts ever drop in price or have promos?
          Yes, they go on sale every season. They also regularly have 2-for-1 type offers, but the shirts always sell out of small, medium, and large sizes in the first week.

I have some cotton ones for the winter months too, but they're too warm to be worn in the summer (for me). The cotton ones sold out of medium and large sizes in the first or second week. They're pretty popular.

For what it's worth, I only wear undershirts under button up shirts. I think that it would be odd to wear them under a polo or similarly casual shirt.

Comment

I always wear an undershirt of some sort and try my best to not have it show regardless of what I am wearing. Sometimes this means all I can wear is a tank style but even that is better than nothing. I use it as a sweat barrier to prolong the life of my top shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
              I use it as a sweat barrier to prolong the life of my top shirts.
              FWIW, if you're getting pit stains in your shirts, it's probably not because of your sweat. The stains are caused by your deodorant. I used to wear undershirts to "save" my shirts. Then I experimented and switched to a non-aluminum deodorant (Herban Cowboy). I've gone without undershirts for a couple years now and haven't had any problem with pit stains.
              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                FWIW, if you're getting pit stains in your shirts, it's probably not because of your sweat. The stains are caused by your deodorant. I used to wear undershirts to "save" my shirts. Then I experimented and switched to a non-aluminum deodorant (Herban Cowboy). I've gone without undershirts for a couple years now and haven't had any problem with pit stains.
                Vodka supposedly does wonders removing those stains as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                  Entirely true. The antiperspirant ingredients are usually what cause the yellowing. Any deoderant without antiperspirant will decrease or eliminate stains. If it was from your sweat you would get yellowing in other areas as well. I wasn't strictly speaking of just pit stains. I find that I have to launder my clothes less with the sweat barrier so the wear and tear is lower. If I toss a shirt on for a couple of hours with an undershirt, I don't typically have to wash it, especially in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sudonihm View Post
                    I wear undershirts unless it is a linen shirt or very casual setting. I wear grey v-necks (this one http://www.uniqlo.com/us/men/innerwe...ndefined-000-1) because they hide better under white shirts (that is, harder to see them). White undershirts under white shirts are very evident. Grey works better. Skin tone probably would as well but I don't have any experience with them. I also one Airism from Uniqlo. It is . . . interesting. Very good for warm weather, but I don't like the fabric/texture.
                    I second the recommendation of grey undershirts. I wear tank tops and they work great. I buy them from the Gap when they are on sale or from Hanes. The problem with the Hanes ones is that they inexplicably don't sell the grey ones alone. They always come in combo packs with black ones, which I have no use for. I also have some of the Uniqlo airism ones, but I agree that the texture is a little odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                      I second the recommendation of grey undershirts. I wear tank tops and they work great. I buy them from the Gap when they are on sale or from Hanes. The problem with the Hanes ones is that they inexplicably don't sell the grey ones alone. They always come in combo packs with black ones, which I have no use for. I also have some of the Uniqlo airism ones, but I agree that the texture is a little odd.
                      I am goign to try the greys. Of course this is after my 6 month trial and error to find my favorite undershirt...which doesnt have a grey offering. I will take a look at gap.

Comment

The problem with the Hanes ones is that they inexplicably don't sell the grey ones alone. They always come in combo packs with black ones, which I have no use for.
                        As far as the Hanes v-neck tees, they aren't sold in a multi-colored pack.

Comment

Another vote for grey undershirts. I tried out classic fit / heather grey Ribbed Tees last year (I think a suggestion from here) and have converted fully to them. They're form fitting/tight but not uncomfortable, and I've never had one peek out or show through any shirt I'm wearing. Not the cheapest, but also not terrible (2 for $20).

http://www.ribbedtee.com/

Comment

I also have some of the Uniqlo airism ones, but I agree that the texture is a little odd.
                            [MENTION=3269]Shomasta[/MENTION], I've found that the texture varies depending on the run. Some of mine are smooth, and some have a waffle weave. I far prefer the smooth ones. Which ones do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                              [MENTION=3269]Shomasta[/MENTION], I've found that the texture varies depending on the run. Some of mine are smooth, and some have a waffle weave. I far prefer the smooth ones. Which ones do you have?
                              I have the smooth ones. What's odd is that they are clingy-especially when I've sweat quite a bit. I don't mind it so much anymore, and they really do wick and evaporate moisture and cool down quickly, but it took a little getting used to.

Comment

I have the smooth ones. What's odd is that they are clingy-especially when I've sweat quite a bit. I don't mind it so much anymore, and they really do wick and evaporate moisture and cool down quickly, but it took a little getting used to.
                                Ditto. Great for really warm weather, but I prefer the Supima Cotton for most occasions. I actually wear the Airism v-neck under my white polo shirts. Works well IMO.
                                "Tempus Fugit"

Comment

Working...
                                X