This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
    This might be a dumb question, but...are OCBDs or oxford shirts in general always made from a slightly thicker fabric than other dress shirts? I just ordered the blue oxford dress shirt from Bonobos, and the fabric feels a little thicker than their other shirts, but I can't tell if it's just my imagination.
    Yes, oxford cloth is typically thicker and more casual than, for example, most broadcloth dress shirts. If you want a similar look, but not as heavy, pinpoint oxford is a step down in thickness.

Comment

Thanks. These seem both thicker and slightly baggier (maybe stiffer fabric just bulges out more?) than their other dress shirts, and as a skinny dude in a city with hot summers, that's not ideal. Probably need to return.

Comment

From the reviews on the Uniqlo site, it seems that they have updated their briefs and some say they are almost like a bikini brief. I was about to buy some, but wondered if anyone here has purchased any pre and post new restyle

Thanks
        We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hey guys, long time lurker. I just joined up. I am halfway through overhauling my closet and am currently on shirts.
          I can’t wear non-iron as most tend to make me incredibly itchy.
          Can anyone recommend some options for white dress shirts to wear with a suit and tie for the summer that are not “non-iron”? I’d like to keep it close to $50 a shirt so I can get more. I wear slim fit with a semi-spread collar and button cuffs typically. No thick fabrics like oxford as I live on the West coast.

Comment

Originally posted by B.edwards View Post
            Hey guys, long time lurker. I just joined up. I am halfway through overhauling my closet and am currently on shirts.
            I can’t wear non-iron as most tend to make me incredibly itchy.
            Can anyone recommend some options for white dress shirts to wear with a suit and tie for the summer that are not “non-iron”? I’d like to keep it close to $50 a shirt so I can get more. I wear slim fit with a semi-spread collar and button cuffs typically. No thick fabrics like oxford as I live on the West coast.
            Paul Fredrick often has an introductory special for $24.95 per shirt for white shirts. I believe they still sell non-non iron shirts. I am fairly happy with my PF shirts. Occasionally the sizing is inconsistent, but they have always taken them back and issued a full refund, no questions asked--and they were monogrammed.

That said, you are probably going to get enough responses and opinions on this to have its own thread. Everybody has their favorites.
            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
              Paul Fredrick often has an introductory special for $24.95 per shirt for white shirts. I believe they still sell non-non iron shirts. I am fairly happy with my PF shirts. Occasionally the sizing is inconsistent, but they have always taken them back and issued a full refund, no questions asked--and they were monogrammed.

That said, you are probably going to get enough responses and opinions on this to have its own thread. Everybody has their favorites.
              Thanks for the reply. The site you mentioned may work, it just doesn’t mention much about their fabrics.

As you said, I will probably get a lot of replies. Hopefully there are others out there who opt for non-non iron shirts as well. So far most shirts that I am finding are $100~ for Egyptian cotton or something similar.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The site you mentioned may work, it just doesn’t mention much about their fabrics.

As you said, I will probably get a lot of replies. Hopefully there are others out there who opt for non-non iron shirts as well. So far most shirts that I am finding are $100~ for Egyptian cotton or something similar.
                You can filter the search results by types of fabric. They have a sale right now buy one, get one 50% off, on cotton broadcloth starting at $79 and egyptian cotton at $99. So, that works out to $60 or $75 per shirt. A bit out of your stated budget, but not bad for a better quality shirt. But--you can combine it with the other offer they have right now, $75 off $300 orders and get six shirts for $282--there you go--less than $50 each.
                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                  You can filter the search results by types of fabric. They have a sale right now buy one, get one 50% off, on cotton broadcloth starting at $79 and egyptian cotton at $99. So, that works out to $60 or $75 per shirt. A bit out of your stated budget, but not bad for a better quality shirt. But--you can combine it with the other offer they have right now, $75 off $300 orders and get six shirts for $282--there you go--less than $50 each.
                  I went ahead and sent them an email to confirm the shirts will work for me. If no one else has any suggestions I may pick up a couple to tide me over.

Comment

[MENTION=17979]B.edwards[/MENTION] Have you checked out Spier & Mackay? They get great reviews for their dress shirts and just about everything else the sell. They don't use non-iron fabrics and you can get bundle pricing of $45/shirt if you buy 3 or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                      [MENTION=17979]B.edwards[/MENTION] Have you checked out Spier & Mackay? They get great reviews for their dress shirts and just about everything else the sell. They don't use non-iron fabrics and you can get bundle pricing of $45/shirt if you buy 3 or more.
                      +1. [MENTION=17979]B.edwards[/MENTION] - S&M has some great white shirts. My favorite is your standard twill though their poplin is light weight but has had some issues with shrinkage that they are getting worked out. They also offer different cuffs depending on the shirt and semi or full spread options. Just a note, their easy iron is not a non-iron fabric. I have not looked into those but people seem happy with them.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                        +1. [MENTION=17979]B.edwards[/MENTION] - S&M has some great white shirts. My favorite is your standard twill though their poplin is light weight but has had some issues with shrinkage that they are getting worked out. They also offer different cuffs depending on the shirt and semi or full spread options. Just a note, their easy iron is not a non-iron fabric. I have not looked into those but people seem happy with them.
                        I checked out S&M. They look like great shirts.
                        Would you guys recommend custom from them for $79 or try to get the batch discount with OTR? I am a little bit of a weird fit at 14.5 neck, 33.5 arms and very straight across shoulders.

Comment

I checked out S&M. They look like great shirts.
                          Would you guys recommend custom from them for $79 or try to get the batch discount with OTR? I am a little bit of a weird fit at 14.5 neck, 33.5 arms and very straight across shoulders.
                          The batch discount is for 3 shirts. I would try OTR before MTM because you will have a S&M shirt to compare from if you go MTM. 0.5" is not much in terms of sleeve difference in the below shirt being 34".

This shirt would be a good choice unless you need slimmer (Extra slim fit) or a little extra (contemporary). https://www.spierandmackay.com/white...-slim-fit.html

Royal Twill may have a slight sheen to it so more conservative. https://www.spierandmackay.com/white...-slim-fit.html

Their oxford is thicker so I would honestly go up 0.5" in the neck which adds a little extra room everywhere. Not like a ton of extra but "just enough" to make a difference: https://www.spierandmackay.com/white...-slim-fit.html

Comment

The batch discount is for 3 shirts. I would try OTR before MTM because you will have a S&M shirt to compare from if you go MTM. 0.5" is not much in terms of sleeve difference in the below shirt being 34".

This shirt would be a good choice unless you need slimmer (Extra slim fit) or a little extra (contemporary). https://www.spierandmackay.com/white...-slim-fit.html

Royal Twill may have a slight sheen to it so more conservative. https://www.spierandmackay.com/white...-slim-fit.html

Their oxford is thicker so I would honestly go up 0.5" in the neck which adds a little extra room everywhere. Not like a ton of extra but "just enough" to make a difference: https://www.spierandmackay.com/white...-slim-fit.html
                            Something as thick as an oxford would not work for me as I get hot enough as it is in LA. Does the royal twill fall somewhere between an oxford and a general poplin
                            in thickness? I thought I read somewhere on the website that is was 2-ply.

Comment

Something as thick as an oxford would not work for me as I get hot enough as it is in LA. Does the royal twill fall somewhere between an oxford and a general poplin
                              in thickness? I thought I read somewhere on the website that is was 2-ply.
                              The poplin is a very thin shirt. Some people complain that it might be too thin but helps for cooling. The twill is thicker but not an oxford cloth thickness. It is your basic dress shirt thickness while the poplin is thinner and oxford cloth is thicker. If that makes any sense.

Comment

The poplin is a very thin shirt. Some people complain that it might be too thin but helps for cooling. The twill is thicker but not an oxford cloth thickness. It is your basic dress shirt thickness while the poplin is thinner and oxford cloth is thicker. If that makes any sense.
                                It makes perfect sense. I am going to go ahead and order up 3 shirts. They seem like exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X