This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geo View Post
    I'm attending a black tie optional wedding in a few weeks. Since I don't own a tux or plan on renting one I'm wearing a charcoal suit. Would wearing a black tie be advisable even though I'm not wearing a tux? Or is that some sort a faux pas?
    I would wear silver or something similar (champagne silk) rather than black. You want to look elegant and festive rather than somber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

[MENTION=14298]theplayerking[/MENTION] That's a good point. I do have a champagne colored tie from a previous wedding I was part of. I'll give that a try.

[MENTION=14744]Dun[/MENTION] The ceremony is late afternoon and the receiption is in the evening.

Comment

A black neck tie might feel too somber. And if you take off your jacket look like a waiter?

Either a bow tie or a more festive textured neck tie.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

I would do a traditional wedding tie, like

http://www.kentwang.com/ties/glen-plaid.html

or

https://www.spierandmackay.com/black...-of-wales.html
          Ben

Comment

Has anyone purchased shoes from New Republic by Mark McNairy? I'm intrigued by the design and price for the suede drivers and Chelsea boots, but don't know about the quality and how they hold up.

Comment

[MENTION=14744]Dun[/MENTION] That's another good point. Definitely don't want to look like a waiter.
              [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] I really like glen plaid ties but never got around to picking one up. I won't be buying a new tie just for this wedding but that's definitely on my list of wants.

Comment

Best place to purchase lost Wurkin Stiff magnets?

Comment

Hi all! I’ve got a pair of J.Crew 770 stretch chinos in white that I absolutely LOVE, but I have no idea what color underwear I should wear with them so that the underwear doesn’t show through. I’ve heard both white and grey? Can anyone make a recommendation?

I’ll definitely wear them with a blazer here and there, so I think that helps cover the problem a little, but I could really use some help here.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                    Best place to purchase lost Wurkin Stiff magnets?
                    Amazon has packs of magnets in about the same size for < $10. Most of the packs contain 30+ magnets so you can use them for other purposes as well (e.g. putting stuff on your fridge). Only potential issue is that depending on collar style and fabric, they might be a little too strong (but the Wurkin Stiff magnets are pretty strong as well, so I doubt that would be an issue).

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=15801]Tacitus[/MENTION]. I've been told that Home Depot also has some magnets that will work. Now I just need to get down there and look for them.

Comment

does this blazer (Ludlow Unstructured American Wool) from J Crew ever go on sale? https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...olor_name=navy

Comment

Originally posted by thicc View Post
                          does this blazer (Ludlow Unstructured American Wool) from J Crew ever go on sale? https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...olor_name=navy
                          Yes. I got it for $124 back in February (can't remember the exact sale but it was some variation on 35-40% off), although I ended up returning it. I believe J Crew often excludes sports coats from their sales but the Dappered front page is pretty good about flagging deals when they pop up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
                            Yes. I got it for $124 back in February (can't remember the exact sale but it was some variation on 35-40% off), although I ended up returning it. I believe J Crew often excludes sports coats from their sales but the Dappered front page is pretty good about flagging deals when they pop up.
                            thanks! why’d you return it?

Comment

Originally posted by thicc View Post
                              thanks! why’d you return it?
                              Just personal preference. I don't like the texture/feel of cotton sports coats and this felt more like cotton than wool to me, too smooth (as opposed to textured) and not soft enough.

Comment

This might be a dumb question, but...are OCBDs or oxford shirts in general always made from a slightly thicker fabric than other dress shirts? I just ordered the blue oxford dress shirt from Bonobos, and the fabric feels a little thicker than their other shirts, but I can't tell if it's just my imagination.

Comment

Working...
                                X