Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey total n00b here. I think I want to get that blazer that the blog man said was cool and good. The J. Crew Factory one.

I usually wear 41L suit slim fit. I'm 6'1" 180-185 lbs with a 32/33" waist, 36/37" giraffe arms, 16.5/17.5" collar and relatively large chest and shoulders. They don't have L or slim options and 41 is sold out. Should I, A: get the 40 and hope the sleeves and shoulders aren't too small, B: get the 42 and let my tailor take it in where it's too roomy, or C: just not get it at all right now and wait for a better buy to come along?

Comment

Originally posted by BabyGiraffe View Post
      Hey total n00b here. I think I want to get that blazer that the blog man said was cool and good. The J. Crew Factory one.

I usually wear 41L suit slim fit. I'm 6'1" 180-185 lbs with a 32/33" waist, 36/37" giraffe arms, 16.5/17.5" collar and relatively large chest and shoulders. They don't have L or slim options and 41 is sold out. Should I, A: get the 40 and hope the sleeves and shoulders aren't too small, B: get the 42 and let my tailor take it in where it's too roomy, or C: just not get it at all right now and wait for a better buy to come along?
      I don't have any specific experience with JCF jackets, so am unsure whether they run big or small (which might help you on the above), but typically I'd hesitate buying anything that isn't the chest size that you need. It's rather hard (and expensive) for a tailor to adjust the shoulders/chest area of a suitcoat, and generally you should get that right as a gating item and then see if a tailor can fix/tweak the remainder (e.g., arm lengths, waist).

Comment

Originally posted by BabyGiraffe View Post

I am about the same size as you, a little bigger in the waist. The 40R in JCF blazers fits me very snug, a bit too small in the chest and when buttoned it pulls slightly at the botton (bigger waist though) and is pretty form fitting in the back...it would look ok to most people (and may feel ok too, depending on your personal preferences) but it is too tight of a jacket for my taste and too tight if you go by the generally accepted fit terms of a jacket. I get the 42R and have the waist taken in a little and its much better IMO

Comment

I recently got some Allen Edmonds Liverpool firsts. They came with a crease down the middle that is somewhat faint. Could y'all tell me if this is a normal thing on chelseas or if this warrants exchanging?

https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...95&oe=5AABF293
          https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...48&oe=5AAC476E
          Thank you,
          Eric

Comment

I want to get a pair of Loake Pimlico chukka boots, but I am not sure about which size to get. Normally my size is 7.5 US/6.5 UK/40 EU, but in this case I have read that the "Capital" last is elongated and wide, so I don't know if I have to downsize half a number of the UK sizing. Any thoughts?

If somebody has experience with the Capital last, even though not with the Pimlico chukka, I will appreciate to know how it compares to other brands sizing.

Comment

from where i can get custom made leather jacket? Here I am Lookin for online bespoke solution please suggest.

Comment

I'm looking to buy the J Crew Cotton/Linen unstructured suit pants to go with the matching jacket I have. The issue is I'm not in the USA so cant try on a pair and don't really want to have to pay return shipping from overseas. I was hoping someone could give me some advice re sizing.

I'm 5'10, 170 lbs and have an actual waist measurement of 33 - 34 inches with hip (around the bum) of 38.

Has anyone out there tried on a pair or have any advice re sizing?

Comment

Quick suit jacket fit question. Should you be able to do the "hailing a taxi cab" gesture -- one arm raised -- with your jacket buttoned without getting serious pulling on the button?

Comment

how much should I size down on an eastland made in maine boot? i wear 9 size new balance sneakers fyi

Comment

Originally posted by Slubby Linen View Post
                      Quick suit jacket fit question. Should you be able to do the "hailing a taxi cab" gesture -- one arm raised -- with your jacket buttoned without getting serious pulling on the button?
                      Ideally you should be able to do this, but hard to find on off the rack jackets, except in higher end brands. Should be easily doable with decent custom suitmakers. With higher armholds (which is required for this) it takes a bit more work to get the jacket on. Guys who are used to the lower armholes of most jackets might consider the jacket too small or too tight, when it's just that they are not used to such a fit.

Comment

Anyone know the watch in this post?

https://dappered.com/2018/03/steal-a...-at-nordstrom/

Comment

^^Thanks. The suit that's giving me the pull on the button is the SS Napoli that I mentioned in the Lewin thread. I'm pretty confident the fit is good, and the armholes are high, which is part of what has me puzzled. To me this should be a formula for good range of motion. The jacket definitely fights me a little when putting it on, especially my left arm since my watch wants to snag the armhole. I know exactly what you mean about this being different from typical OTR fit. In fact this is something I've had to adjust to as I've been phasing out my old dorky fitting suits blazers etc. with more sharply tailored ones. I will say that I tried the taxi hail test on several other of my newer jackets today and they all pull to some degree, but the SS is the most pronounced. Maybe I'll see if I can post a pic to give a visual of what's going on.

Comment

^^ I think this is something that's difficult to completely eliminate (the pulling that happens when you raise your arm). It kind of just how tailored jackets are. I think it's more important that you can raise your arms up paralel to the ground without too much pulling, but raising it right up towards the sky is asking a lot from most jackets.

Comment

^^ Agree with Spex. How many times do we really have to raise our hands that high up with your jacket buttoned? I think because of what we are told, we just tend to over think things sometimes.

Comment

Here's the first pic that pops up under "man hailing a cab" in Bing images:

This is the same pull I'm getting.

Certainly could just be nature of the beast and a matter of degree.

Comment

Working...
                                X