X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lfd75 View Post
    Hello everyone,

My father in law just gave me his older Samuelsohn tweed sport coat. At two inches above my navel (slightly above my natural waist) and a couple of millimeters below my collarbone, the button stance and gorge respectively are a little lower than I'm used to. Are these proportions still in the vicinity of what is considered classic or would they date the sportcoat? It is a beautiful jacket but needs a little tailoring and TLC (waist suppression and missing one front and one sleeve button) and I'm trying to decide if it would be worth spending the money of if I should donate it. FWIW I'm 6'3", 200lbs and fairly athletic (crossfit + medium distance running).

Thanks in advance,

Luis
    Pictures would help.

The “classic” position of the fastening button would fall at your actual waistline. If this is a 3 roll 2, it sounds like it would fit well. The description of the 3rd button being so high has me concerned that it’s a 3 button jacket.

Also look at the lapel notch. If it sits low on your chest, it will date the piece quickly.

Comment

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15630]Loafer28[/MENTION],

Thanks for your replies I should be able to post pics tomorrow as the jacket is currently quarantined in the -80 degree freezer at work. To clarify, the jacket is a button 2 (the missing button is the bottom button) with the buttoning point slightly (less than 1cm) above my actual waist. The notch is definitely not at the chest just slightly below my collar bone.

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
        Just brush them. Scratches, scuffs, and knicks pretty much disappear if you wipe them with a damp cloth and then brush the whole boot.

If you really feel the need to apply something then Saphir Renovateur or their greasy leather cream works. https://www.hangerproject.com/saphir...her-cream.html

Here's a long article on CXL and Nick Horween responds to questions about the leather at the bottom. https://www.horween.com/blog/2010/03...mexcel%C2%AE-2
        Thank you.

Comment

Here is a picture of me wearing the jacket. The pieces of tape show where my collar bone and belly button are. Also, the top button actually closes at my natural waist. Although the picture does not show it the jacket has red blue and brown overchecks and the lapels are 3.5" wide.

https://imgur.com/iI7t4WJ

Luis

Comment

Here is a picture of me wearing the jacket. The pieces of tape show where my collar bone and belly button are. Also, the top button actually closes at my natural waist. Although the picture does not show it the jacket has red blue and brown overchecks and the lapels are 3.5" wide.

Luis
            I think it looks good. A little lower than what’s “fashionable” at the moment, but I think it gives off a classic vibe.

Comment

Luis
              After seeing pictures I'd say it doesn't look that bad at all. In my head I think I was getting carried away with the description you gave. With some waist suppression and replacing missing buttons it would be a pretty solid jacket.

Comment

[MENTION=15630]Loafer28[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15577]Rawfull[/MENTION],

Thanks for the input the jacket is a keeper.

Comment

Too blue? In some lights it's brighter. Spiders & Mackay, btw

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mlstein View Post
                    Too blue? In some lights it's brighter. Spiders & Mackay, btw

The medium blue herringbone

Comment

On the main page today (found here) Joe mentions Brooks Brothers is having a sale on shoes. I see they have a burgundy McAllister for sale.

Q: How does the burgundy compare to the merlot?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                        On the main page today (found here) Joe mentions Brooks Brothers is having a sale on shoes. I see they have a burgundy McAllister for sale.

Q: How does the burgundy compare to the merlot?

Thank you.
                        I'm pretty sure they are the same, just labelled different. I have merlot mcallisters and they look just like the photos on the brooks brothers website

edit:

what color shoes (allen edmonds) would work with this suit?

Last edited by HankScorpio; February 9, 2018, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mlstein View Post
                          The medium blue herringbone

Definitely not too blue. In fact you can’t get more classic than your suit.

Comment

Definitely not too blue. In fact you can’t get more classic than your suit.
                            Thanks. It is maybe bluer than that in brighter light but a fellow lawyer told me it's perfectly fine these days in court and my tailor loves it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
                              I've been looking for a pair of black shoes to add to my work rotation, since the only pair I currently own are black cap-toe oxfords which are a little too formal unless I'm wearing a suit (which I'm usually not).

Are these guys too casual to wear with slacks and a blazer? I'm mostly worried about the white stitching. Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/8JKtHrB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zCZQ71Q.jpg
                              I think black shoes are just formal. Attempts to make them less formal can look weird like those. Just get more brown!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi, I'm getting married in August and I need suit help. It is an outdoor wedding, and my bride is wearing a white gown with no train. I've been told by a tux salesman to go with a nice tailored suit for this setting. I am more inclined to go with a suit because I will get more use out of it in the future as well. The color will be black.

I have 2 questions really.

First, Am I crazy for going with a suit over a tux?

And second, is it possible to get a nice suit for under $200? I will probably have to at least supplement the cost of the suits for my groomsmen, so I have to stay on budget. I'm not including the shirt, tie, etc. Under $200 for jacket and pants. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I saw a Kenneth Cole Reaction suit for $169 at Macy's today that looked nice, but I don't own a suit, and have no idea what I'm looking for. I know I like slim fits, but one of my groomsman is pushing 300lbs.

Please help.

Comment

Working...
                                X