Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do you guys think of a dark charcoal blazer like below? i have navy and tweed colored. also a camel hair

https://imgur.com/a/fCk3W

Comment

Originally posted by ncf05 View Post
      what do you guys think of a dark charcoal blazer like below? i have navy and tweed colored. also a camel hair

https://imgur.com/a/fCk3W
      I don't understand those as they look like suit jackets with less shoulder pad. Charcoal is especially weird; navy or tan makes more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ianr View Post
        I don't understand those as they look like suit jackets with less shoulder pad. Charcoal is especially weird; navy or tan makes more sense.
        +1.

Look at Spier and Mackay’s hopsack sportcoat. The navy option sold out in a heartbeat while the charcoal option is still hanging around. Every time I see someone in a charcoal sportcoat, I look for signs that it’s a orphaned suit jacket..... like pick stiching on the lapel (pardon the slight snobbery there).

Comment

Can anyone recommend a winter jacket that meets this criteria?
          Not a peacoat (already have one) - want an option I don't have to wear with a scarf
          Suitable for wearing to both a workplace but also bars/restaurants at night (not some crazy ugly puffer jacket)
          Under $200
          Warm enough to wear down to 10-30F or so.

Comment

Originally posted by zerostyle View Post
            Can anyone recommend a winter jacket that meets this criteria?
            Not a peacoat (already have one) - want an option I don't have to wear with a scarf
            Suitable for wearing to both a workplace but also bars/restaurants at night (not some crazy ugly puffer jacket)
            Under $200
            Warm enough to wear down to 10-30F or so.
            If you want wool, maybe a duffle coat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone that's gotten a suit from Spier and Mackay -- how long did it take to ship to you? I ordered one a while back, and it still says "processing" as my status on the website. Just wondering if they are making it, and it takes a while, or if I should give them a call and see whats up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                Anyone that's gotten a suit from Spier and Mackay -- how long did it take to ship to you? I ordered one a while back, and it still says "processing" as my status on the website. Just wondering if they are making it, and it takes a while, or if I should give them a call and see whats up.
                I would definitely get in touch with them. They had a problem with their inventory system (I assume with reservations/allocations). In my case, customer service was right on it once I contacted them.

Comment

Does anyone who has a Schott 740 peacoat know if there is enough material at the cuff to lengthen the sleeves? I would need about an inch.

Comment

http://leathersoul.com/2011/09/08/al...-toe-boot-lsw/

Do you think this shoe could work as tough weather (rain/slush/snow) business casual (=flannels+sports jacket+shirt+tie)?

Comment

Originally posted by doomx View Post

Do you think this shoe could work as tough weather (rain/slush/snow) business casual (=flannels+sports jacket+shirt+tie)?
                      Suede and tough weather are not a great combination.

Comment

Suede is supposed to be quite durable (if it's not cheap thin suede, which I doubt Alden's would be). I even read somewhere that suede is one of the original snow boot materials.

OK, that might not be the absolute best advice, but honestly suede isn't all that bad to maintain. Spray it down with waterproofing spray once in a while, and maintain with a suede eraser and suede brush. I think it's a misconception that it's fragile, for some reason. Heck, it's the hide of an animal. It's not going to melt when it gets wet!

Comment

Considering that it has a double leather sole, I would avoid it for slush/snow work.

-Vic
                          "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
                            Suede and tough weather are not a great combination.

There is a version in chamois which is actually (I just learned this) another word for roughout leather. This makes it very weatherproof and interesting the same time. I have a pair of Chippewas in light brown (snuff?) roughout leather
                            and love them.

Originally posted by Spex View Post
                            Suede is supposed to be quite durable (if it's not cheap thin suede, which I doubt Alden's would be). I even read somewhere that suede is one of the original snow boot materials.

OK, that might not be the absolute best advice, but honestly suede isn't all that bad to maintain. Spray it down with waterproofing spray once in a while, and maintain with a suede eraser and suede brush. I think it's a misconception that it's fragile, for some reason. Heck, it's the hide of an animal. It's not going to melt when it gets wet!
                            Since they would be chamois, they wouldn't need extra waterproofing. I have three pairs of suede shoes that I wear commonly in the winter (two of them have dainite soles as well), and the spray works very well. I won't wear them if there is a down pour though.

Originally posted by Vic View Post
                            Considering that it has a double leather sole, I would avoid it for slush/snow work.

-Vic
                            The actual pair has the alden commando sole, which is thin enough while maintaining good traction.

My original question had mostly to do with the looks. Do you think the above, or the one posted here, would work with sports coat/trousers/tie/shirt?

Comment

My original question had mostly to do with the looks. Do you think the above, or the one posted here, would work with sports coat/trousers/tie/shirt?
                              I think they would work fine with a tweed sportcoat and flannel trousers. As long as the entire outfit is more casual and not businessy.

Comment

Double post.

Comment

Working...
                                X