Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a quick question, get an answer

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by pyourne View Post
    Moleskin blazer - I'm having trouble determine level of formality. What type of pants can I pair with it? Are wool trousers acceptable? Chinos? denim?
    True moleskin is a casual, heavy, outdoor fabric. Cords or denim work well. If wool, I would go with something textured like woolen flannel.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    Comment


      I snagged the J Crew herringbone blazer mentioned on the front page (picture here) in both grey and navy before my size sold out. Probably can only keep one of them for budget reasons, and trying to decide between the two.

      Grey seems like the more traditional choice for herringbone, and I don't think I've ever seen blue herringbone before, so kind of leaning towards the grey.

      I already have navy/light grey/brown sports coats FWIW.

      Thanks!

      Comment


        Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
        I snagged the J Crew herringbone blazer mentioned on the front page (picture here) in both grey and navy before my size sold out. Probably can only keep one of them for budget reasons, and trying to decide between the two.

        Grey seems like the more traditional choice for herringbone, and I don't think I've ever seen blue herringbone before, so kind of leaning towards the grey.

        I already have navy/light grey/brown sports coats FWIW.

        Thanks!
        Nice - I just looked at those this morning, and they are all sold out in my size. Perhaps just as well... The last time I bought a tweed blazer I ended up selling it because it looked too stodgy and professorial. (And I am, in fact, a college professor, but don't necessarily want to go for that stereotypical look.) The unconstructed look of this one looked like maybe it could help work around that a bit, though. Curious to know how you like them.

        On a related note, has anyone tried that wool "bomber jacket" sweater from J Crew?

        Comment


          I have a choral concert this week. It's not a strict ensemble, volunteer not professional. Dress code is dark suit, white shirt, dark tie. My go-to is navy suit with black TTB grenafaux.

          Thoughts on black satin bow tie instead? I have one from my black tie rig.

          Comment


            I feel like a black satin bow tie with a dark suit would look too close to a tuxedo.
            Ben

            Comment


              Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
              I feel like a black satin bow tie with a dark suit would look too close to a tuxedo.
              That was my concern as well.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                That was my concern as well.
                Agreed. If you want to wear a bow tie, go with a different color.


                Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

                Comment


                  The event is tomorrow night, and I don't have another dark bow tie. I have a red satin from my buddy's wedding, and a wool Stewart plaid, but both are too bold for this concert. Grenafaux necktie it is.

                  Comment


                    I am interested in getting a pair of AE strands. I am a student so I could get a 25% discount, and thus they would be about $300. Would this be the best way to get a pair of strands or might there be a better deal coming sometime in the next month?

                    Comment


                      I'm going to new york soon, what stores should I check out for clothing?


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Arête View Post
                        I am interested in getting a pair of AE strands. I am a student so I could get a 25% discount, and thus they would be about $300. Would this be the best way to get a pair of strands or might there be a better deal coming sometime in the next month?
                        Shoebank dot com would be your best bet for strands $211 right now. Unless you are a law student or going into a profession where you wear a suit daily, I would get the strandmok in brown.

                        Comment


                          Is having all your shirts darted considered tacky? I went to a new tailor who darted a dress shirt, and the fit is a lot better than my other shirts that had the sides taken in.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by LukeTre View Post
                            Is having all your shirts darted considered tacky? I went to a new tailor who darted a dress shirt, and the fit is a lot better than my other shirts that had the sides taken in.
                            As I understand if, some men don't like this because of the way it looks on the back. But, if you wear a jacket, nobody ever sees that.

                            Comment


                              Can this be easily fixed? I ordered a pair of these JWN wingtips on sale. First pair had a dark stain on the left shoe, second pair had a ~2" scuff on the left toe, now this pair has this light spot near the left heel that looks like the color of the leather has been rubbed away. I understand Nordstroms has free returns/exchanges, but this will be the third time. I am almost leaning towards trying to fix it or just send them back for a refund. I do like the shoes for the price though.

                              https://imgur.com/a/bbT1h

                              Comment


                                If they are full grain, you could polish them with a medium or dark brown polish, and that spot will slowly start to blend after multiple attempts. It may not be worth the hassle if the spot bothers you, as you may always see an outline.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X