X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELNJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
    I snagged the J Crew herringbone blazer mentioned on the front page (picture here) in both grey and navy before my size sold out. Probably can only keep one of them for budget reasons, and trying to decide between the two.

Grey seems like the more traditional choice for herringbone, and I don't think I've ever seen blue herringbone before, so kind of leaning towards the grey.

I already have navy/light grey/brown sports coats FWIW.

Thanks!
    Nice - I just looked at those this morning, and they are all sold out in my size. Perhaps just as well... The last time I bought a tweed blazer I ended up selling it because it looked too stodgy and professorial. (And I am, in fact, a college professor, but don't necessarily want to go for that stereotypical look.) The unconstructed look of this one looked like maybe it could help work around that a bit, though. Curious to know how you like them.

On a related note, has anyone tried that wool "bomber jacket" sweater from J Crew?

Leave a comment:

• Tacitus
    replied
    I snagged the J Crew herringbone blazer mentioned on the front page (picture here) in both grey and navy before my size sold out. Probably can only keep one of them for budget reasons, and trying to decide between the two.

Grey seems like the more traditional choice for herringbone, and I don't think I've ever seen blue herringbone before, so kind of leaning towards the grey.

I already have navy/light grey/brown sports coats FWIW.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• theplayerking
    replied
    Originally posted by pyourne View Post
    Moleskin blazer - I'm having trouble determine level of formality. What type of pants can I pair with it? Are wool trousers acceptable? Chinos? denim?
    True moleskin is a casual, heavy, outdoor fabric. Cords or denim work well. If wool, I would go with something textured like woolen flannel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• pyourne
    replied
    Moleskin blazer - I'm having trouble determine level of formality. What type of pants can I pair with it? Are wool trousers acceptable? Chinos? denim?

Leave a comment:

• Bixmeister
    replied
    Originally posted by Vic View Post
    I'm trying to decide between the following two Red Wing Heritage boots, the Iron Ranger 8085 and the Blacksmith 3343. Same last, same sole, same Copper Rough & Tough leather.

I already have a pair of the IRs in Hawthorne Muleskinner roughout leather and a pair of Alden 403s. This boot will replace my Wolverine 1000 Mile McClean (brown Cxl captoe).

Thoughts?

-Vic
    My thoughts, the Blacksmith is a bit taller, and doesn't have the cap toe. If you need the extra height, and don't need a cap toe, it would be something different in your wardrobe. The Iron Ranger is named after a part of Minnesota which I once called home, so it is my sentimental favorite. You can't go wrong with an area that gave the world Bob Dylan, The Greyhound Bus, Robert Mondavi, Kevin McHale, Vincent Bugliosi, Roger Maris, Judy Garland, The Carlson Brothers AKA the Hansen Brothers in Slap Shot, Chris Pratt, and more Olympic and NHL Hockey players than you can shake a goalie stick at.

So, the Iron Ranger, obviously.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X